Which pit to get for $2k-3k?

atcNick

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
If you had $2000-3000 to spend on a trailered pit what would you get?

-Not catering
-Want to compete in the future
-Want a high enough capacity that I can feed a good size family gathering.

Thanks for the input

Well, no more often than probably 2-3 sticks an hour. Less often would be nice, but not realistic I guess.

You are in Texas, Lang is the obvious answer. I don't know how far the Lang factory is from you but dang. Make a day of it and get the grand tour, buy the best of the best that will last your lifetime.

Slam dunk if you ask me.....

lang 60" likely in your range... meadow creek or peoria custom cookers may be in your range for a trailered pit, but shipping/logistics may add cost.

others you might want to check in Texas are gator pits, klose pits, jj pits ,pitts & spitts, pitmaker but I think any of those are all out of your $$ range... I'm sure there are other fabricators in TX that I just am not familiar with that others would be..

Good luck

The first thought... offset mobile... don't know of a trailered cabinet smoker in that price range.
Altho I'm a fan of Lang's...which a new 60 mobile is in your price range...
and you're in Texas... I'd give Dave Klose a consideration, too.

Had a suggestion until you threw in the "trailered" part. Not many brand name trailered pits in that price range.

You obviously have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, or you have a lot of people to feed, because if you don't want to compete, you can make some awesome Q for well under 500 bucks. But, if you have to have a pricey cooker on your patio, you won't go wrong with a Klose, made in Houston.

CD

i just got myself a pit from pits by JJ. waitin for it now! i didnt get a trailer tho. just a 20x48 waitin for it now!

You are in Texas, Lang is the obvious answer. I don't know how far the Lang factory is from you but dang. Make a day of it and get the grand tour, buy the best of the best that will last your lifetime.

Slam dunk if you ask me.....

Um, isn't Lang in Georgia? That would be a heck of a field trip! :shock: Perhaps you meant to say Klose?

Um, isn't Lang in Georgia? That would be a heck of a field trip! :shock: Perhaps you meant to say Klose?

If so, then yes. I know one of the nicest pits I have seen is in Texas. I believe you are right and it is Klose.

Thanks for the correction.

Being here in Texas, we have a bunch of great options... Lang, Klose, etc.

Before you make your decision, search Craigslist for "BBQ Lake Livingston". Donald is an old army welder who has been making great pits for several years now. (Tell him Dave from Sugar Land said to give you the "Cousin Discount".

He'll build to your exact specifications, and dollar-for-dollar, you'll get a lot more pit than you will at one of the more boutique shops. PM me if you'd like to see my home/competition pit. I spent about the same amount, and I absolutely love the pit. Reverse flow, tuning plates, 1/2" steel on the huge firebox, 30" barrel with 6 racks. I can't imagine what something like that would run somewhere else.

Just a thought, do what you feel, but make sure you shop around. :)

D

If I were starting over I would purchase a nice trailer have two UDS and a couple of other smaller smokers like the good one or a back woods. This would better allow me to cook with different woods and at different temps. Last year I cooked everything on a converted 300 gallon fuel tank offset trailer smoker and a back mounted weber; very difficult with 8 categories. this year I've built 2 UDS and I can't wait. I'll cook brisket in 1 UDS and pork in the other and get some ZZZZs. I'll cook the rest on the offset and weber.

I was at Academy the other day and they had a Horizon trailer pit that was pretty well pimped out in that price range. You might check them out as part of the process.

If I were starting over I would purchase a nice trailer have two UDS and a couple of other smaller smokers like the good one or a back woods. This would better allow me to cook with different woods and at different temps. Last year I cooked everything on a converted 300 gallon fuel tank offset trailer smoker and a back mounted weber; very difficult with 8 categories. this year I've built 2 UDS and I can't wait. I'll cook brisket in 1 UDS and pork in the other and get some ZZZZs. I'll cook the rest on the offset and weber.

I agree with something like this route. If you don't have to have 1 large expensive pit then I would go the route of getting two 22.5 WSM's and a trailer. All that might set you back $1500 (give or take) depending on the size of a trailer you want then you have all that left over cash for other BBQ stuff like accessories or comp entry fees :p.

Not sure how large of family gatherings you are cooking for but 2 WSM's can cook a lot of food and 2 look very cool sitting side by side. They are great for comps too and like James said you can get multiple smokers at different temps. I had a small stick burner and it cooked well, but man is it nice to have a smoker that will run all day/night without doing much to it. But there are plenty of folks who love the process of tending fire.

Back