CL one-touch platinum kettle opinions?

Cabin Fever

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just came across an older style one-touch platinum kettle on CL for $40, but it looks like the table is broken off. I did a search for parts for this model, but couldn't find a replacement table. Did Weber ever make one? The grill is about 2 hours from me, but I'd jump on it in a heartbeat if I knew I could get a new table for it. Any advice would really be appreciated folks.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/2492031192.html

I just came across an older style one-touch platinum kettle on CL for $40, but it looks like the table is broken off. I did a search for parts for this model, but couldn't find a replacement table. Did Weber ever make one? The grill is about 2 hours from me, but I'd jump on it in a heartbeat if I knew I could get a new table for it. Any advice would really be appreciated folks.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/2492031192.html

Someone's big butt after a few beers probably sat on it. :doh:
Wonder if the kettle and food went up in the air too!

Not sure about the table, someone will chime in shortly with a real answer.
Though... I would be cautious about a 2 hour drive. Seen lots of posts here about folks
driving a long distance with a guaranteed sale only to have had the item sold before they arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Smiter. I just sent the seller an email to find out a little more. I might just hold off and wait for another kettle that's closer to home (and in better shape). One-touch kettles with the side table don't really pop up too often near my area which is why this one caught my attention.

If you call weber they'll be able to tell you if parts are still available and the prices. Not all parts are listed on their website. And do heed smiter's advice about the person selling might sell before you arrive--happened to me on a few occasions. Sounds like a sweet deal tho if the table won't cost too much. Btw if there is an academy in your area, they're selling ots 18.5" for $48 on sale right now.

-Lag

far as i know the table is available. might still be under warranty. but other have made their own wood tables.

I have a newer platinum model that I broke one of the shelves. (not a fat drunk but stressed by a ratchet strap after a comp)
Was speaking to Weber about a warentee issue on my gasser last week and asked about a new shelf. $57. I said no thank you. I'll get a big cutting board and bolt it in instead. So if they carry the shelf for your CL find, there is your price roughly.

So if you want it and 2 hours is okay for you. Get it.

For that price I would be making something work with or without a factory replacement table.

Yeah, it is a GREAT deal.. even without the table. Ikea sells butcherblock cutting boards fairly inexpensive. If you are handy and can make it work, you are ahead. Just talk to the guy and explain how far you are driving. Then make an educated guess if he will honor the deal.

"the grill is in great shape" does make one wonder, though, doesn't it?

He doesn't mention the table being broken in half (kinda obvious, I suppose), so it begs the question what "great shape" means to the seller.

A little tlc could probably turn it into a great cooker again, but I'd hate for you to get there and find large dents & chips in the kettle only to wish you'd never made the drive. Maybe ask for additional photos for the parts you intend to use, i.e. the kettle & the frame?

The seller still hasn't responded yet and I'm at the point where my gut is telling me to stay far away. I've seen better deals for less money where the grill was in mint condition and the seller was closer. It's just that those deals are always snagged up before I can get my hands on them. I check CL at least once a day so I'll keep an eye out.

I just want to say thanks to you guys for helping me out. The bbq world is pretty friendly in general, but this has got to be one of the friendliest forums I've ever been a part of.

Back