YouTube BBQ: Smash or Pass?

I can get behind the idea that cooking shows on TV or YT (bbq or whatever) are not as good as hands-on teaching, but otoh, you can back it up and look at it again if you think you missed something.

If a presenter is new to me, I can usually tell within a few minutes if I'm going to learn something or be entertained. I'd like to have both but will settle for one or the other if I don't have much going on. I like reviews on new products- even if it's something that's not on my radar or that I'm shopping for.

Fakexperts is what is wrong with the news today. Everyone is a farking expert on something.

I got an idea for a werd smash… take your Fakexperts and replace fake with FARK…. FARKXPERTS!!

Pork belly burnt ends are a real as the fake burnt ends everyone makes today. To cut the best part of the brisket off, the cube it, season it, sauce it, and put it back in the cooker to cook again, ain’t burnt ends.

As for whotube? I’ve seen a few of Chuds videos, they’re entertaining. As for watching whotube? I generally stick with Kosmographia and UnchartedX.

I have been active on BBQ internet forums since 1999. Most of my posting was done on Ray Basso's BBQ Forum. (RIP Ray!) I was also active in the old Green Room AKA BGE Forum. I first signed on here in 2006. This year marks my 35th year of competing in contests and will mark my 32nd appearance at the American Royal. I have worked in a BBQ restaurant and have catered quite a few events that feed 200 people or less. I am not an expert on BBQ by any means, but I have been around the block a few times.

I could not begin to say what qualifies someone to be an expert on this subject. Is it success on the competition circuit or in the restaurant business? Does the ability of manufacturing BBQ pits and successfully marketing them make you an BBQ expert? How about making sauces and spice rubs?

I recognized years ago that I was spending too much time on Youtube watching music videos. This was before they had installed their algorithm formula that determines what you should watch next. I try to avoid that deep dark pit of Youtube like the plague. I have watched a few BBQ Youtube videos. My life's experiences have shown me that some people who present themselves to be an expert on any subject tend to think that their way is the only way and everyone else is wrong. One other fault I have with the BBQ videos is there is little room for discussion. Yes there are comments made that can be read, but they are hard to follow as to making an exchange for ideas.

I have learned a lot over they years by reading the exchange of ideas on the various forums on which I have participated. I may not have agreed with all of those ideas and opinions presented and exchanged, but I learned something nonetheless. I have not learned much new information on Youtube videos. I think I will just stay here........

Beers for thought,

Juggy

I only watch videos if I'm looking for something specific. Even then I will go into it skeptical, because I don't know who the "big names" are, and im aware of the fact there is likely bad info put out there. I will try watch multiple vids and combine what i thinkbis the best info...For example just this morning I watched about 3 quick vids on how to lollipop a chicken drummy. Making my first chicken lollipops this afternoon.

In general, I'm sick of most social media and the attention seekers that go a long with it. The hunting industry is more to blame for that than BBQ though.

I am with cowgirl.

Juggy... you ARE an expert.

I don't watch videos. Someone got me the Franklin book. I was so excited. Didn't learn a thing that being in Texas my whole life around bbq didn't teach me. That being said. I have a young friend in another state that has cut years off his learning curve by watching videos. What he cooks now vs when he started a year ago is night and day. He quotes Malcom Reed like it's the holy scripture. But he's getting really good.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Yo Texas Pete, I appreciate the compliment, but I will decline the designation. I know a lot of how things used to be done, but the techniques have evolved a LOT in the last ten years and I haven't paid close attention. I used to cook ten contests a year and now I am down to cooking only the Royal.

FWIW, for what the Royal costs me to cook the AR, I could easily cook three regular contests, but after 30+ years, the Royal is a part of my life. I am handing the team over to my nephew this year and putting him in charge. I will still help and advise and probably do some of the side dishes, but my nephew will now run the show. He has two sons and a daughter cooking in the kid's Q this year. They are the fourth generation in our family to cook the Royal.
I still try to pay attention to the new trends of cooking so this old dog might learn a new trick or two, but I still go with what I know and that works for me.

Thanks again for the kind words,
Juggy

From that entire list, I've attempted to watch Chud's BBQ a few times, could not get into his style. The only BBQ channel I regularly view is Chef Tom from atbbq.com. Not that I'm some bbq expert, far from it, but I often find myself being critical of some content in bbq videos, knowing there's better advice in this forum or in my own experience.

Youtube cooking channels for me are limited to Chef John, some Blackstone content and ATK.

I am firmly in the SMASH category.

I enjoy watching content about the things that I'm in to, and BBQ is one of those things. And lets face it, TV just flat out sucks today so I find more enjoyment watching Youtube videos on the things I'm in to anyways. Before I got in to the whole BBQ Youtube thing, I got hooked on the BBQ Pitmasters show (like many people), but when I found it the show was already over and was in reruns on the Destination America Channel. After watching every episode of every season I started watching them again, because there was nothing new and after a while it got boring watching the same episodes again and again.

Then somehow (I don't remember exactly how) I found a Youtube video from T-Roy Cooks which I enjoyed enough that I subscribed to his channel and started digging through all his videos. It may have been that I was searching for info on something related to the Weber Smokey Mountain I had just bought that led me to his channel as a link to one of his videos popped up from my search. I found that I enjoyed his content wether I learned anything new or not, and frankly he just seemed like a really cool and down to earth guy that I would love to hang out with. Then thanks to the algorithim I found other channels like Babyback Maniac, Aim em and Claim em Smokers, and even Harry Soo who I recognized from BBQ Pitmasters.

Today, my favorite channels are Chuds BBQ, Jirby BBQ, Joe Yim, Smokin Joe's Pit BBQ, Meat Church, How to BBQ Right, and yes....Mad Scientist BBQ. There are a lot of other channels I enjoy as well, but those are my favorites, all for differnt reasons. Some I have learned a lot from, and others are just entertaining. And of course I still love T-Roy Cooks channel, he just doesn't post videos as often as he used to. Same with Babyback Maniac and James at Aim em and Claim em.

Overall, I do think my BBQ game has improved as a result of watching these channels. A few specific things are my briskets which were driving me nuts as they kept coming out over cooked. I took info from several different channels that helped me to learn how to determine doneness by feel rather than by probing, and they have been coming out perfect since I started applying certain things I learned from them. Or sausage... Without Chud's BBQ or Smokin Joe's Pit BBQ's channels I never would have even started attempting to make sausage. I'm far from having it perfected, but I'm on the way, and that wouldn't be the case without Bradley at Chud's or Joe.

I do realize it's not for everyone, but it also seems simple enough to me that if you don't like it you don't have to watch it.

I do have to call BS on the food safety stuff as a concern though. If you are cooking ANYTHING, you should have a basic understanding of food safety, the danger zone, cross contamination etc., and if something seems off, DON'T duplicate it... and that is also probably a channel you should ignore. Or, if it's something your just not 100% sure of, do you own research. Like cold smoking sausage for example... with sausages left in the danger zone for an extended time, it's safe but you MUST use the proper amount of pink curing salt. Decided to research that one myself just to be safe, and ultimately determined that yes, it is safe. Just make sure you use the proper amount of the pink curing salt. I'm actually cold smoking some sausage as I type this. The way I see it, if you don't have a mind of your own or an instict for things that may not be safe, then you have much bigger problems in life then Youtube BBQ.

As Harry Soo says, everything in BBQ is a 3 hour argument.

I love watching YouTube BBQ videos. I just love soaking up any knowledge really. I tend to focus more on videos that have a science element and explaination to some of the things. Harry Soo and Mad Scientist are probably the ones I watch the most of. I like learning about all different kinds of techniques and trying them out.

I used to try to BBQ based on random stuff I read online, but I had no idea what I was doing for probably 14 or 15 years. People would say my BBQ was good, but to me something was missing and things were inconsistent. Finally one day I decided to do my first brisket and I looked stuff up about it which led me to a couple websites like amazingribs and also to some YouTube videos; Harry Soo being a top one. Now, he does a lot of competition BBQ and after learning that competition style is not the best for eating I kinda brushed off most of that type of stuff and focused on his scientific explainations and the more simpler things that apply to backyard BBQ.

Mad Scientist was another I stumbled on as a suggestion on YouTube and I really liked his style and explanations of things. Mainly he does really simple BBQ which is what I have been focusing on lately.

I watch others I spot that catch my eye too, but none quite as much as those two.

For me I can usually tell if someone is just as much of a mediocre BBQer as me or if they know what they are talking about and have experience. I value experience from amateurs and professionals. Even the the person only cooking in their backyard can have good advice. Sometimes professionals ("experts") can have bad advice (and that is true of experts in anything).

The thing about BBQ is that there are many different ways to do it and some things work better for some people and other things for others. What some people call amazing BBQ may be horrible to someone else. Someone mentioned how much they hated East NC BBQ because it uses a lot of vinegar; I personally love vinegar and eastern NC style (not all NC style has vinegar by default, most to the west leaves off any sauces and has them to the side, which usually does include a vinegar option). Some people want a ton of smoke, others don't.

Obviously some stuff is just wrong and doesn't work or is even detrimental. Usually you will be able to figure that out pretty easily ��. Overall I feel like online BBQ info is a net positive though.

I like Malcolm Reed but the BBQ Pit Boys have probably had the biggest influence on me. Not so much cooking techniques but because they seem like a bunch of average guys having fun drinking beer and cooking out. They are well versed around cookers and they got lots of recipes. When I'm looking for something different I got to BBQ Pit Boys.
We eating good tonight, Martha!

I'm not a chef, just a really good cook.- Justin Wilson.

Way back in about 2004 when my first smoke, a turkey, took me about 10 hours in the cold, windy, fog on thanksgiving.
I wasn’t much into the internet but searched for bbq tips, and wound up on the TxBBQrub forum. A bunch of old guys and a lot of competitors.

Oh man... I miss that forum. There were some seriously funny characters there. Woodman, Big Wheel, so many others. Too bad the spammers got their hooks into it.

Unless you cook like this, you're not traditional. You're just a poser. Think about it.

Attachments

• Texas Q.jpg
    Texas Q.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 54
Back