THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of this BBQ umbrella it looks like I incorporate spit rotisserie, open pit, southern barbecue, Alabama BBQ (not listed), and Carolina BBQ

Not sure what bullet style, UDS bucket goes into... Maybe closed pit?

BBQ is slow smoked big hunks of meat cooked over wood. Grilled food is cooked hot on grill with charcoal. BBQ and smoked meats are world wide favorites.

Shoot we can't even agree on what to call it...BBQ, barbeque, barbecue, Q, Q'n so how can we explain it. I have eaten briskets off a weber, from a pit, smoker, gas grill, electric smoker.

Well don't let this get around but now I'm going to share my Super Secret Texas Brisket recipe:

2w1sgpi.jpg

Now That's BBQ!

I'm not from the US but have lived here in US a long time. And I have traveled to many other countries and never heard barbeque being used other than what it's supposed to mean in the US.

In other countries, we called it grilling just like you would call chicken being grilled "grilled chicken" not "BBQ chicken." Otherwise, all the fast food restaurants would have the name "BBQ chicken salad" in all of their menus. Just saying....

The thing is what is the difference? At what point does grilled chicken become bbq chicken? Is it a magic temp? Is it direct or indirect heat? Does it need bbq sauce? To many the wood fire is a unifying factor.

Fast food restaurants dont cook over wood fires so its just grilled chicken.

Let's not forget the U.S. government definition of BBQ

Barbecued meats, such as product labeled "Beef Barbecue" or "Barbecued Pork", shall be cooked by the direct action of dry heat resulting from the burning of hard wood or the hot coals therefrom for a sufficient period to assume the usual characteristics of a barbecued article, which include the formation of a brown crust on the surface and the rendering of surface fat. The product may be basted with a sauce during the cooking process. The weight of barbecued meat shall not exceed 70 percent of the weight of the uncooked meat.

Code of federal Regulations, Title 9, Chapter III, Part 319, Subpart C, 319.80.

Barbecued meats, such as product labeled "Beef Barbecue" or "Barbecued Pork", shall be cooked by the direct action of dry heat resulting from the burning of hard wood or the hot coals therefrom for a sufficient period to assume the usual characteristics of a barbecued article, which include the formation of a brown crust on the surface and the rendering of surface fat. The product may be basted with a sauce during the cooking process. The weight of barbecued meat shall not exceed 70 percent of the weight of the uncooked meat.

I can live with that definition

The thing is what is the difference? At what point does grilled chicken become bbq chicken? Is it a magic temp? Is it direct or indirect heat? Does it need bbq sauce? To many the wood fire is a unifying factor.

To me, it's the smoking that counts as barbecue. The temp (hot and fast or low and slow) doesn't matter to me.

When you're cooking directly, your heat comes directly from fire so that would be considered grilling. When you're smoking (which is usually indirect), the fire doesn't directly cook the meat and therefore, be considered barbecue.

Again, just my personal opinion. I wouldn't call pizza being cooked in a wood fire oven BBQ even though it's wood fire.

To me, it's the smoking that counts as barbecue. The temp (hot and fast or low and slow) doesn't matter to me.

When you're cooking directly, your heat comes directly from fire so that would be considered grilling. When you're smoking (which is usually indirect), the fire doesn't directly cook the meat and therefore, be considered barbecue.

Again, just my personal opinion. I wouldn't call pizza being cooked in a wood fire oven BBQ even though it's wood fire.

Pizza isnt bbq cause its not meat. Bbq is MEAT.

Smoking isn't necessarily bbq or bacon and cheese would be bbq. In bbq smoke is a by product of the process

Some real old school pit are direct heat. Alabama and carolina pits come to mind.

Ask any old timer how he learned Q and he'll likely tell you his job as a boy consisted of shoveling coals into the pit.

It comes from magic unicorns!

I agree with the smoke, that's Q. Now the wood fired pizza I wouldn't call bbq but I'd call the process BBQ.

IMHO - meat cooked directly over coals or fire is "roasted" or "grilled".
Meat cooked indirectly utilizing just the smoke to cook the meat is "smoked".
Hot and fast or low and slow, these are cooking methods only.
Either one of these becomes "barbecue" when the meat is enhanced with a "sauce".
This doesn't mean that "sauce" makes ANYTHING barbecue, but if you already have one of the above cooking scenarios then enhancing the meat with sauce makes it barbecue. IMHO.

Of course, you have to realize that I grew up in southern Ohio where a "barbecue" sandwich was a sloppy Joe! The "barbecue" was a grill outside on the patio, and on occasion we would go to a "barbecue" where someone was cooking hot dogs and hamburgers! When I got to North Carolina 36 years ago I had my eyes opened to a whole new world of "barbecue".

Just as long as you cook it low and slow in a crockpot.

We were at a church function a couple weeks ago and some friends of ours came over to chat. The wife was talking to Mrs. Wampus and telling her that she tried to do a brisket in a crock pot. I didn't hear as I was talking to the husband.
Mrs. Wampus suddenly turns and says, "Oh no. You didn't! Don't tell Kempis.", to which I naturally inquired what they were talking about.

She told me and then just paused as she noticed what must have been a horrified look on my face. She just said, "I KNOW! I'll never try it again. It wasn't good. Not at all like yours."

:tsk:

Crockpots are not for BBQ. At ALL. EVER.

I know ive already agreed with this but how did the government get this right. I can find no holes in it. This may be Washingtons greatest achievement.

Oh and bbq can be cooked using direct heat. Or was this a grilled hog?

Looks like bbq to me.

Why cant you guys just conform to my way of thinking
:frusty:

Back