You guys dun did it!!!!

How low is low on the Camp Chef? I like to do pancakes at 350-375 F, which is probably as low a temp as I would need.

Not 100% sure about the smaller Camp Chef flat tops... but the big boy which I have (FTG 900) tends to run 425°ish on low. Kind of freaked me out when I first saw that with my IR gun. That said, in the 2 months I have had it I have had no issue cooking things that used to be cooked at 350-375° on my old Blackstones. Things cook faster for sure, but pancakes for example, come off the griddle every bit as good as they did on my Blackstones.

I haven't really paid much attention to flat tops outside of seeing more of them in stores.
What are most people using them for, and what is their main appeal to cooks?

Any brick and mortar places that carry camp chef? I have seen up close and personal the Blackstone and Blue Rhino 36 inch four burners, the Outdoor Gourmet (Academy Sports) five burner. Before I put down the bucks, I would like to see the Camp Chef 6 burner (FTG900).

Any brick and mortar places that carry camp chef? I have seen up close and personal the Blackstone and Blue Rhino 36 inch four burners, the Outdoor Gourmet (Academy Sports) five burner. Before I put down the bucks, I would like to see the Camp Chef 6 burner (FTG900).

I have a hunch you’re gonna be hard pressed to find a FTG 900 in person. Perhaps a call to Camp Chef and they could help you track down a dealer that may have them in stock. In my opinion, you’ll have an easier time finding the FTG 600, which would give you a good idea of what you’d be getting with the 900.

The higher temps on low are mainly just a concern for me with things like pancakes and eggs. Have you done these before rwalters on your camp chef?

The higher temps on low are mainly just a concern for me with things like pancakes and eggs. Have you done these before rwalters on your camp chef?

The way I do eggs on my Blackstone, is I leave the last burner off, and that is where the eggs go. There is enough heat transfer to give you a perfect sunny side up egg.

I LOVE threads like this! Somebody else besides me lusting after some new equipment so I can live vicariously through them! Works great...usually. I loved following you guys in the pooper thread to keep me from buying something else, then....:tsk:

Good idea!

Yep, that method works great. That said, I have had no issue with pancakes with all 6 burners turned to low. Also, scrambled eggs are done in about 2 mins if I have all the burners turned to low... super quick and they turn out great.

Back