Yoder pellet or other?

busmania

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Matt
I might sell my soul to the devil. I have a yoder wichita which I no longer use (but do love) because I like my home made offset much better. Lately I’ve been yearning for a set it and forget it set up and thinking of buying a pellet. I have a big green egg and a Weber Smokey mountain but honestly I don’t love the food off of charcoal smokers. So, I’ve been thinking of going yoder pellet as I read nothing but good things and like the brand. However, I dont really like my local dealer (they are pompous and dont really seem to be interested in helping every time I go in) so I got to thinking, maybe I dont need a yoder. What other pellet smokers make similar food? I want to be able to go low n slow and high heat (700+). I may just skip the dealer and drive to Kansas to pick up the yoder but again, I got to thinking about considering other brands. I think the mak is probably too expensive. I’d be looking at the ys640 size. Less than $2000 budget. Thanks!

To me, pellet is pellet... You're going to get the same smoke profile whether the cooker is getting made in China or the US. I love my Yoder pellet. I think the main reason I like it is that it's just consistent. I can put something on before bed, and just know that it will be chugging along 8 hours later. The food comes off just as expected every time.

If I didn't have a Yoder, and was shopping I would look at Grilla Grills and Pits-N-Spits. But, I would pick Yoder over all of them. I'm picky that way! Good luck on your search.

Get the Yoder. I have had mine for about 18 months. Have put just about a ton of pellets through it so far. Zero problems. I can’t speak for the other brands, but USA made products get more of my attention then overseas.

I love my Yoder. It is the smoker I use the most. I will always have a Yoder pellet smoker. It is so well made. I love the fact it is made in American too.

Have you had food that was cooked on a pellet smoker? I'm an offset guy and decided to give pellets a try...bought a Rec Tec BFG (large capacity model). The food which came off of that thing tasted like I had cooked it in my oven. There was a great smoke ring, but when it came to smoke flavor it just wasn't there...barely noticeable at all. I tried different pellets and it didn't seem to make a difference at all...B&B, Lumberjack, PitBoss, and Grilla Grills brand pellets.

Just something to consider before you take a long road trip and drop that kind of money.

Had a Yoder and a memphis elite pellet cookers and produced some great food...it is NOT the same result as a well run stick burner though. I used to think pellets got me 80-90% of the flavor of an offset..for me now, it’s maybe like 50-60%. YMMV though. I haven’t had a Mak, which many say produces great flavor. I did like the yoder layout and results better than the Memphis fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will be truthful. I have a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850. It’s a really nice pellet smoker. Set it and forget it. Good smoke ring. It’s just like cooking in the kitchen in the oven. The thrill is gone. Looking for a stick burner.

The Yoder site has a dealer map, and it indicates one in Colorado Springs.

Money talks, and if you came into my store I'd earn your business.

I am very happy w my pellet cooker. While the food from it does not taste like a stick burner, I'm ok with that. It gets the job done every time.

Good luck with your search

Last edited:
I enjoy my YS640s a lot. The Fireboard setup makes it really nice. I'm having good luck with B&B comp blend pellets from Academy. That said, I'm currently also looking at adding a stick burner to my arsenal. For me, there is no one setup that will do it all. Use pellet cooker, have your time, but lose some flavor. Burn sticks, better smoke profile, but lose your time.

I love my MAK 2 but I don’t think you can go wrong with the Yoder. Especially now that it has the new controller & that stainless front guard to protect your paint. Best of luck with your decision & I’m sure we’re all looking forward to see how you like it!

I have never eaten food off of a pellet nor have I ever used one. I think I would often start food on my offset and the. Move it to the pellet so I can leave and do other things. I do worry that I’ll be disappointed in the food but the family is sick of staying home on saturdays so I can cook.

I bought a YS 640 without ever tasting food off a pellet smoker. I was disappointed in the smoke favor. I wish I would have tried food off a pellet before I purchased.

I have a mak 2star and honestly I wouldn't want anymore smoke flavor than it imparts. It actually is surprising how much flavor it imparts even on quick cooks like chicken or a pork tenderloin.

I'm with others, a pellet smoker takes all the fun out with half the flavor. That being said I'll always have one because sometimes if I'm cooking for an office pot luck I want to sleep and those folks think it's the best bbq ever. I've owned a Green Mountain and Two different Recteqs. I'm going Yoder next time.

There are lots of good pellet cookers. The more I get used to them the less strong smoke flavor matters. I don’t have an offset but have cooked a bunch on a WSM. The lighter smoke flavor
from the pellet grill is definitely present but the lack of hassle is worth it to me especially during the week when time is limited.

I have never eaten food off of a pellet nor have I ever used one. I think I would often start food on my offset and the. Move it to the pellet so I can leave and do other things. I do worry that I’ll be disappointed in the food but the family is sick of staying home on saturdays so I can cook.

I know this decision on going the Pellet Smoker route can be difficult and I believe every poster contributing to this tread has given their honest, first hand experience with their pellet smokers... The good, the bad and the sometimes disappointing. Buying a top quality pellet smoker like a Yoder can help prevent the bad experiences if the Enduser/owners learns their grill and follows the owners manual instructions and not take shortcuts in operating their grill/smoker. The disappointing aspect some have experienced is the lack of a true and strong smoke flavor profile. Again, learning your smoker is key and how to use it will help prevent those disappointing outcomes in smoke flavor. Is Pellet Smoke the same as true Hardwood Smoke? No.. Is it bad? No, but often times it’s the lack of any smoke flavor, especially at temps above 250*-300* degrees that is the problem. There are a few things that can be done to help boost the smoke flavor profile of a pellet grill. Adding a Pellet Smoke Tube can help boost the smoke production and the extra cost is minimal... The only down side to that is you’re burning more pellets. Adding a true hardwood smoke generator can definitely help add that true hardwood smoke flavor profile when installed and operated correctly, but the added cost can be expensive. I know I’m getting a bit long on this post, but I think it’s very important to do your research before you go spend over $1000.00 on a Smoker that allows you to spend more time with your family... A very good benefit and very important these days... And puts out great looking food... Always a good thing as well. But at the end of the day, if the taste and smoke flavor is lacking, You may be left shaking and scratching your head in disappointment. If possible, try some BBQ off of a pellet smoker first, judge for yourself and see if you like it. Again, I’m not knocking Yoder or any pellet smoker... I know first hand what pellet smokers can and can not do. I added a smoke generator on mine and I use lump charcoal and real hardwood chunks to add that true hardwood smoke flavor that some find lacking from their pellet grills. Do some pellet grill bbq taste testing if possible, do your research and Good luck.

I've been a pellet grill junky for the past decade and just want to share that in my experience a pellet grill is not just a pellet grill. Every one has it's own performance. I've tried 4 Traegers, 1 GMG, 1 Memphis Pro, 2 Camp Chefs, and the SmokeFire. Each one produced it's own smoke profile based upon the design and the controller.

The SmokeFire produces by far the most smoke flavor out of all I have had, the main reason I say this is because there is still very noticeable smoke at temps over 250. The Memphis would have been next, followed by Camp Chef and the Traegers with the older p-setting controllers. The newer D2 Traegers produced by far the least amount of smoke. The Silverton I had for a few days cooked ribs that tasted like they were baked in the oven. The GMG I had was a lemon and never functioned properly, so I cannot comment much on that (GMG send me several parts and finally a rep to my house and never could help me figure out the root problem. Kudos to their commitment and support, but I gave up after 9-12 months of trying to get it working right.)

Based upon following a couple of pellet grill focused forums I believe Yoder and MAK are on the higher end for smoke output as well.

Yes on Yoder. I just upgraded my 2016 with the new Fireboard controller and the ceramic ingniter and what a difference.

I just don't the not enough smoke flavor thing. I get a perfect amount of smoke flavor anything more than that is overkill imho. I also own a stick burner and yes stick burner produce the best BBQ but I also enjoy the clean smoke the Yoder produces.

I love my Yoder YS640. No complaints, only praise. If you were to go that route, you couldn't go wrong. HOWEVER you said a couple of things that bring me concern.

First, do you NEED a Yoder pellet grill? Given what they cost, a premium buy for sure, need is relative. Loads of smokers for less money.

Second, you don't like the local dealer. I am a huge proponent of voting with my dollars and supporting businesses that want my business. I really dislike dealing with a business that doesn't give a crap about my purchase or my being a customer. I will travel and or do a lot to shop somewhere else. Given what a Yoder costs, I would want those dollars going somewhere that wants the business.

I love mine. Here she is. Looking sharp

picture.php

Back