Yardbird 2 ways - a quick supper

kevinstaggs

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Just the wife and me, so quick and easy (lazy?) is on the menu tonight. Sadly, chicken got the call...

Grabbed a couple of breasts, seasoned 1 w/ BBQ rub (from a Norman, OK BBQ joint), 1 w/ Oakridge Smokey Chili Lime. I claimed the SCL...

Cherry (CookinPellets) at 225F for a bit, then up to 275F to finish. Melted some Swiss on the SCL breast and some Head Country BBQ sauce (another OK product) on the second. Added some canned mixed veggies and microwave bag rice (humiliating). Topped the SCL breast w/ some homemade pico.

Turned out like this:

And this:

Thanks for looking. BTW, I have to make chicken every so often or the wife will beat me up...

You read my mind, i did yardbird wings/thighs and homemade sausage tonight.

20220913-224820.jpg

20220913-224824.jpg

20220913-224959.jpg

Nothin' wrong with chicken Kevin. Yours looks great!

I cook chicken all the time cause it's my GF's favorite meat. She likes the breast, I like the thighs/wings.

On the plus side...it doesn't take as long as a brisket, butt, ribs, or chuck.

Cheaper, too. :clap2:

That's mighty fine looking chicken there! Makes me wanna fire up my chicken graveyard Thursday night and do some wings or thighs. The Oakridge SCL is sooo good on chicken.

Those are some fantastic looking plates of food, and I'd be proud to put that on the table. Well done!

Since we’re talking about the lowly yardbird (I’m a black cow guy) I’m wondering what everyone’s fav chicken rub. I tend to use: SCL, Dirty Bird, or Clucker Dust. What’s y’all’s favorites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As for favorite, when my wife played Bunco her and her group really liked Plowboys Yardbird. She no longer plays and haven't seen PYB in stores I enter in quite a while, but guessing the BBQ Proshops have it. Now it's never the same spice twice.

As for favorite, when my wife played Bunco her and her group really liked Plowboys Yardbird. She no longer plays and haven't seen PYB in stores I enter in quite a while, but guessing the BBQ Proshops have it. Now it's never the same spice twice.

I used to be a big Plowboys fan but I’ve became less salt tolerant in the last few years, so moved away from it. Maybe I need to give it another try.

I used to be a big Plowboys fan but I’ve became less salt tolerant in the last few years, so moved away from it. Maybe I need to give it another try.

As you can see, i have a huge bag i bought awhile ago. Its good, but in all honestly my favorite is Mccormick rotisserie chicken seasoning. I was out and had to order from Amazon and it wont be here for a week or two for some reason even though i have prime.

And yes, its on the Salty side. More salty then McCormick. Honestly, if you want some im not going to use this huge bag anytime soon, so PM me and i'll send you a vacuum sealed 1lb bag of it.

Last edited:
I like plowboys, fire dancer is pretty good too, but I have never tasted a chicken rub better than Dirty Bird.

I have wanted to try Clucker Dust, but haven't made it to it yet. Can anyone vouch for how good it is?

Back