WSM stick burner update:

In the Harry Soo video you can tell he's burning some charcoal in the wsm which is what's keeping the wood burning, which appears very dry so it shouldnt need much help to burn. Either way it'll be an uphill battle to burn wood in something designed to burn charcoal. I tried running my offset on charcoal and it did not work out so i know that i need to burn wood in the stick burner and stick with charcoal in my wsm. Each are different animals and eat different fuel.

+1! That’s like saying you expect to be a great painter because you bought the same brand of paint and brushes as Michelangelo.

It doesn’t work that way!

Start out the way that smoker was designed to be used. Put Kingsford charcoal In It And light using the minion method. Put a quart of beer in the water pan then top off the rest of the way with water. Either bury chunks of dry smoke wood strategically in the charcoal, or just toss a chunk on top at the beginning and throw a new chunk on every 45 minutes or so for the first half of the cook. (Meat Doesn’t take much smoke after it hits 140°f So don’t wast the smoke wood after that.)

Leave the top vent wide open and adjust the bottom vents to achieve temp.
Have all vents wide open when lighting. Once the temp climbs to about 200°f close the three bottom vents down to about 1/4 open And let it stabilize on temp. if it climbs past your target temp close the bottom vents a little more. If it stabilizes below your target temp open the bottom vents a little more. Don’t chase the temps. Give the temp 10 or so minutes to settle between adjustments. Don’t worry about hitting an exact Pit temp. Getting it in the ballpark is good enough. As your experience increases so will your ability to get the pit temp closer to a desired temp, but in reality 20° either way will work just fine.

The biggest thing you need to learn when smoking meats is patience. Just sit back and have a beer and don’t monkey with anything unless you know it needs it. If you aren’t sure just leave it alone.

you got the whole world figureed out don't you? I already know how to cook on the smoker I was just trying to use the stick burner method and it doesn't work the way he done it. And yes I will tell him he's a liar to his face when I see him at a competition. I got a full chimney of coals hotter than Red Hill place to thin pieces of Post oak on there. It started burning very well temperature Rose to 416 degrees. The second I put the door back on the smoker and try to crack the lid like he done it within 5 minutes the fire was snuffed out and was smoking. There is a chance that the Post oak I bought from B&B might have been a little wet or just some weird ass would that don't burn with a crap. I just don't see it happening

I'm sorry the OP is having issues replicating something that Harry Soo might have not been totally up front with. Went back and "Zaprudered" it- there might have been some sleight of hand and mis-direction involved.

Or maybe he's just that good.

jury is out.

I'm sorry the OP is having issues replicating something that Harry Soo might have not been totally up front with. Went back and "Zaprudered" it- there might have been some sleight of hand and mis-direction involved.

Or maybe he's just that good.

jury is out.

I'm pretty damn good with a fire. So good I can build a fire when it's raining outside with just a ferro rod. This pisses me off because I've use a lot of his techniques but he needs to be called out for this I'm not buying it he is full of ****.

Harry doesn't care. Yer just not on his program is all. I wouldn't worry over it. Let us help ya spend yer money on a nice offset.

-D

It might be time to just let it go. You tried to replicate what you saw Harry Soo appear to do in a relatively short video and it did not work for you. The sun is still going to come up tomorrow, and you are still going to make some killer food on your WSM in a manner that you know and have used. Personally after watching more than a few of Mr. Soo’s videos, he seems like a guy I would enjoy sitting down with, and drink a beer or two and picking his brain.

you got the whole world figureed out don't you? I already know how to cook on the smoker I was just trying to use the stick burner method and it doesn't work the way he done it. And yes I will tell him he's a liar to his face when I see him at a competition. I got a full chimney of coals hotter than Red Hill place to thin pieces of Post oak on there. It started burning very well temperature Rose to 416 degrees. The second I put the door back on the smoker and try to crack the lid like he done it within 5 minutes the fire was snuffed out and was smoking. There is a chance that the Post oak I bought from B&B might have been a little wet or just some weird ass would that don't burn with a crap. I just don't see it happening

I don’t know about the whole world, but I do have the WSM figured out.

Enjoy your new WSM!

There's so many variables as far as I can tell. As I've said before.. I have had good burning fires to hold 250-300 degree's easily in my WSM but with Kindling size sticks.. Not like what harry is using.. required lifting the lid a few inches to the base.. I would like to see this harry soo's video. I can say he likes to cook hot and fast.. Wonder what temp your trying to cook at? I didn't really look at your other thread.. But My guess he is trying to cook hot and fast.. which he also cracks the lid with a chunk of wood.

Correct my if I'm wrong.. are you trying to cook low temp cooking with wood? I doubt that's possible. Unless your using charcoal. and tiny splits.. but only a couple at a time. Use the charcoal to go towards your set temp.. then feed it a few pieces at a time but smaller. Probably would have to feed it often. Also if it helps my goal was to run the rotisserie kit for the WSM.. Wanted to attempt cooking with wood just to experiment.....

What Bothers me is all the people telling you to cook as the cooker is intended... If your purchased the WSM to cook with sticks.. That was a bad mistake.. They are right its intended to be a charcoal/wood chunk smoker.. BUT.. if all your doing is experimenting.. Don't get angry and assume the best thing to do is call the man out on his method.. It's not his normal method.. And to be fair I believe he had that "Lucky" moment that he maintained a good burning fire.. Probably edited You don't see how much charcoal he add's through the cook or anything..

Back