THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
For the most part I use Harry Soo method of placing the wood chunks first and pouring the charcoal on top minion method. It seems to me he uses a lot of chunks but he's also doing mostly hot and fast. I can't imagine adding eight chunks of wood at 275° and not producing too much smoke. I'm looking to smoke a brisket tomorrow cooking at 275°

I followed his method a couple times and found that you almost need more chunks when they are at the bottom like that. He says they are better under all the coal because they smolder and never fully catch fire.

Another method I use when I’m going to be near the smoker all Day anyway is to run full charcoal In the basket and toss one chunk on at the start and then add another chunk every 45 minutes or so until about halfway through the cook. I’ve done this for a couple rib bbqs and alternated between apple and hickory with excellent results.

I usually place a nice size chunk at each vent. Spread charcoal on top. Just like you said. That should be enough wood for your cook. If need be, I am sure you can add wood on top of your charcoal.

I usually pour my leftover charcoal bits in the bottom. Then arrange three chunks on top of that. Then add some new briquettes to partially cover. Then three more chunks. Then fill the rest of the way with briquettes. Maybe one more chunk near the top.

With a full charcoal ring, it will take about an hour for the smoke to clean up. I'll go ahead and add the meat then even if I haven't quite achieved TBS, as long as it smells good. With all those chunks, the visible smoke still disappears a few hours into the cook. Sometimes I'll add another chunk or two along the way, sometimes not.

Very often I'll have partially burned chunks left, even though I usually have no visible smoke for the last few hours of the cook.

I'm quite happy with the smoke flavor that I get.

I should add that this is with a WSM 22.5.

I should also add that my chunks are well-seasoned scraps from my heating wood pile. If the wood was partially green, I would use way less.

On my 22 I use 9 :shock: 4 on the bottom, 4 on top offset from bottom and one in the middle. Apple and hickory mix, no water, 250*

I usually go 4-5 pretty big chucks on the 22. If it was ribs, usually 2 were cherry. Always on top. Not against putting them on bottom, I just usually added them after the coals were good and lit.

I just preload on my 18". Never had a problem. More for beef and less for pork. Your type of wood may vary depending on the protein.

IRiQ8b7.jpg

For the most part I use Harry Soo method of placing the wood chunks first and pouring the charcoal on top minion method. It seems to me he uses a lot of chunks but he's also doing mostly hot and fast. I can't imagine adding eight chunks of wood at 275° and not producing too much smoke. I'm looking to smoke a brisket tomorrow cooking at 275°
275' isn't hot and fast.

I don't own a wsm... but I have different sizes of UDS. Depending on the size, I use 3 to 5 tennis ball sized chunks for beef or pork... one or none for the few times I do chicken. I knock the ash off the used charcoal, add the wood, then top off the basket with new charcoal. Seems to get enough smoke for me and the family- over smoky meat does bad things to me.

Back