THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Bob
Worked up a 23 lb turkey for Mother's day and didn't realize there are different temp zones in a Chargriller Akorn. Allow me to explain.

The Akorn has approx 12" of clearance above the main grate and presently use a deflector plate above the fire. Because the turkey has considerable mass and height - was affected by a higher temp zone 8 inches above the grates that were nearly 100 degrees hotter.

The enclosed images will reveal my ignorance. Good thing the internal temp probe saved the turkey.

lTr3Qq.md.jpeg

lTr4nA.md.jpeg

Within the picture... the probe #1 was measuring adjacent from deflector plate. Probe #2 was the center of the grate.

Probe #3 was on a secondary grate - 8 inches above and centered.

[Disclaimer - these temps were documented and tested afterwards.]

Never considered using the buiscut test to check hot/cold zones in this situation.

lTrKyM.md.jpeg

Interesting choice for mothers day. Im guessing the wife really likes turrkey

Some years back - offered to cook for Mom during this time. She had the first taste of my smoked birds. Was a repeated requests until she passed on.

Now cook for the younger ladies who are the next gen Mothers directly in my life. Haven't had any complaints.

Some years back - offered to cook for Mom during this time. She had the first taste of my smoked birds. Was a repeated requests until she passed on.

Now cook for the younger ladies who are the next gen Mothers directly in my life. Haven't had any complaints.
You must make a mean Turkey. I make a killer Deep Fried Turkey for thanksgiving, but my Wife would be pissed if i made Turkey for Mothers day.

youre not unique.. theres a whole bunch of us around here just like you.

Back