THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you cook an event without water or electricity?

• No Way ! ! !

Votes: 44 56.4%
  • Maybe if I had room to carry water

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Sure, I would cook under those conditions.

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters
Could I cook a contest with no water Yes Would I do it Maybe but not for $250. I can live without electricity at a contest but it is nice to have and I probably wouldn't cook a contest with out it either. I only cook about 4 contests a year so I can be very selective in the area I live.

The $250 is about the normal rate for around here with water and electric.

Since water and shared electric is going to be provided, I am back into the possibility stage on this one.

I can live with shared electric as all I use is for general lighting and depending on the weather, maybe a box fan. I could do without it, as it looks like it is going to be in the middle of town, and should have street lighting, and with flashlights etc., it is manageable.

Water in my book is a must...

At my last comp., the health department came by and told us we had to have the white hoses for drinking water. I just looked at her with my "dumb" look and said, "HUH! ! ! This is a first". Everyone had green, black, etc.... I just looked at the ground and said, ok.... she left and we all continued. Nobody changed any hoses. Have you ran into that before????

And my favorite.... fire extinguisher.... I always put it just inside my tent. Kinda out of the way, but it can easily seen. Don't want it walking away when I am busy. But I am told it is suppose to be next to the cooker. Read KCBS rules. Now if the cooker should catch a blazing fire, do you want to run to the cooker to find and grab the fire extinguisher? ? ? ? NO WAY... at all of the training classes, we are told, put your extinguisher away from your cooking area (kitchen) so if there is a fire, you don't have to run into the fire to get it. Makes a LOT of common sense. Now, my thought on the extinguisher. I can see having it for a grease fire. But if I am cooking with wood, and the lid is closed, grab the water hose, shoot it onto the fire box, close the dampers (to smother it) , and hose down the cooker to cool it.... that is 2 of the items you remove from the fire, air and heat..... fire should go out on it's own. If not, open fire box carefully, and hose down.....

The $250 is about the normal rate for around here with water and electric.

Since water and shared electric is going to be provided, I am back into the possibility stage on this one.

I can live with shared electric as all I use is for general lighting and depending on the weather, maybe a box fan. I could do without it, as it looks like it is going to be in the middle of town, and should have street lighting, and with flashlights etc., it is manageable.

Water in my book is a must...

At my last comp., the health department came by and told us we had to have the white hoses for drinking water. I just looked at her with my "dumb" look and said, "HUH! ! ! This is a first". Everyone had green, black, etc.... I just looked at the ground and said, ok.... she left and we all continued. Nobody changed any hoses. Have you ran into that before????

And my favorite.... fire extinguisher.... I always put it just inside my tent. Kinda out of the way, but it can easily seen. Don't want it walking away when I am busy. But I am told it is suppose to be next to the cooker. Read KCBS rules. Now if the cooker should catch a blazing fire, do you want to run to the cooker to find and grab the fire extinguisher? ? ? ? NO WAY... at all of the training classes, we are told, put your extinguisher away from your cooking area (kitchen) so if there is a fire, you don't have to run into the fire to get it. Makes a LOT of common sense. Now, my thought on the extinguisher. I can see having it for a grease fire. But if I am cooking with wood, and the lid is closed, grab the water hose, shoot it onto the fire box, close the dampers (to smother it) , and hose down the cooker to cool it.... that is 2 of the items you remove from the fire, air and heat..... fire should go out on it's own. If not, open fire box carefully, and hose down.....

If you have a greese fire and hit it with a Co2 extinguisher all you have to do is clean up your smoker, salvage what you can of your meat and you can start cooking again. As soon as you use water to extinguish the fire you are done pretty much done for the weekend.

Haven't read all the reply so will just chime in. It if ment a $100 entry fee and the prize mony is still up there, yes! I have a gen. now and can bring enough water to get by!

If it's a $250 contest, with the same prize money, I will pass!

Id probably cook it...

Only thing bad, the entry fee sounds too steep...

Most contest I enter have $100-150 entry fees, able to cook alot more
contest that way..!

I carry my own water and generator...so thats not a problem...

This hits home pretty hard. The last event I cooked in 2007 had the best electrical service I have ever seen at an event! They made up for this on the water issue. I came home with a greasy, sand covered mess. We were in a sandy reign, the wind was strong and sustained all day on Saturday and with other activities keeping the sand stirred up it is a wonder we didn’t have sand in our bbq entrees.

I do appreciate this post. I inquired and quickly received the info on the event in this thread and asked about the water and electrical situation and didn’t get a response. Now that they appear to be improving I need to recontact them. One thing not mentioned barrels for disposal of ash /coals and grease. I think that sometimes gets over looked. For those of us cooking on Backwoods and other wet smokers we will be depositing these items some where.

Rick

This hits home pretty hard. The last event I cooked in 2007 had the best electrical service I have ever seen at an event! They made up for this on the water issue. I came home with a greasy, sand covered mess. We were in a sandy reign, the wind was strong and sustained all day on Saturday and with other activities keeping the sand stirred up it is a wonder we didn’t have sand in our bbq entrees.

I do appreciate this post. I inquired and quickly received the info on the event in this thread and asked about the water and electrical situation and didn’t get a response. Now that they appear to be improving I need to recontact them. One thing not mentioned barrels for disposal of ash /coals and grease. I think that sometimes gets over looked. For those of us cooking on Backwoods and other wet smokers we will be depositing these items some where.

Rick

Rick,

If I didn't know better, with you being from Mebane, and the sand storm, I would guess you were in Lumberton about 6 cookers up from me.... :eek:

Bill

BINGO!!! Bill.

And you may recall a red Dodge , west bound on 85-40 Sunday pm. You were on the phone at the time.

If memory serves me , you had a call in brisket in Lumberton, congrats man! It was so cold and windy , and with the award ceremony running an hour late I didn’t hang around to congratulate anyone. How about the sand spurs, man I had them in the tires of the truck for over a month! I had to pick them out of the tires on the Backwoods before I would take it off the trailer ”don’t want to get them started here”.

Take care ,Rick

icon1.gif
Where is the competition ???
Howdy, Maybe I missed, but where's the competition at.

Charlie,are you asking about the one in Lumberton?Last November?

Rick

Charlie:cool:

Howdy, Maybe I missed, but where's the competition at.

The original post is referencing Louisburg, NC in June. It is on the KCBS site, but the link does not work. I sent him an email, that is the only way I could find out anything about it.

The sandstorm was in Lumberton, NC last November. And yes, I was digging the sandspurs out of stuff for a long time. I even dug some out of my knees about a month later. I was wondering why they were hurting so much and getting festered up.... I was slow, but I made it....

On the phone and driving huh? ? ? ? I wouldn't do anything like that.... besides, it isn't safe... I was so dead tired, I don't remember anybody passing me, but that late at night, ..... was that before or after I lost the trailer lights? ? ? ? I had to make a stop to get them going again.... :evil: No call for brisket, but close, real close.... so close, I almost heard my name... maybe next time.

Bill I was referring to Sunday 02/17/2008. 85-40 west around the Greensboro area.

Yeah that trip back from Lumberton was a trip. I took a new rout back . Going to I took the back roads, went great! Coming home I took 95 to 40 and west to home ,mistake!

Rick

Bill I was referring to Sunday 02/17/2008. 85-40 west around the Greensboro area.

Yeah that trip back from Lumberton was a trip. I took a new rout back . Going to I took the back roads, went great! Coming home I took 95 to 40 and west to home ,mistake!

Rick

Ok, that would have been while I was on my way to a cook's meeting at one of our competitors in Winston Salem... we were trying to work out a schedule to maybe do a couple under his name, a couple under my name a a couple on our own. That way, we could get a few more comps in this year, but I just got word yesterday, that our work load is going to comprise of more weekend work again for a while.... :evil: long story.. hopefully though in about June or so, it might change so I can still get a couple in... I sure hope so.

Back