THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

motley que

is one Smokin' Farker
when i am doing smaller cooks on my drum, i know some people recommend having a smaller fire ring. what if i took an old chimney and loaded it with coal and then just lit the top.

seems to me it would work.

I don't remember ever trying to light the top (probably too drunk) but I'd guess that eventually it would go down, very slowly at first. But you'd still end up with a chimney effect and it would get very hot quick after it get's about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down.

But you'd still end up with a chimney effect and it would get very hot quick after it get's about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down.

The interesting part to this experiment (for me) is this statement.

I thought that too, Wolf, but then I wondered the effect of the restricted air flow in a drum.

It would make an interesting test, I think

Are you considering using your chimmney as a "firebasket"? at some point when I light mine, I get a flame thower. I lite it, get comfortable and forget it for about 30 mins. During that time, I may look up from my pre cook rest and I will see flames shooting out of the thing a few inches. I would think not only would it be difficult to light a fire and get it going on the top, but that there is not a good way to control the fire when it does start.

my $0.02 worth. I may be wrong though, it won't be the first time.

Heat traveling from the top to the bottom IS the Minion method, no?

He would light the top by placing X number of lit briquettes on top on top of an unlit chimney of coals

Bingo. I just dont see how this would be any or much different than making a smaller ring or basket, especially since some of the baskets i have seen have solid sides, unlike my fire ring which is all expanded sheet metal.

Are you considering using your chimmney as a "firebasket"? at some point when I light mine, I get a flame thower. I lite it, get comfortable and forget it for about 30 mins. During that time, I may look up from my pre cook rest and I will see flames shooting out of the thing a few inches. I would think not only would it be difficult to light a fire and get it going on the top, but that there is not a good way to control the fire when it does start.

my $0.02 worth. I may be wrong though, it won't be the first time.

Yeah, but that chimney is not sitting IN an air restricted drum. I think it will work.

I think it would work, especially with Bill's clarification. Light 5-6 briquettes, then put them on top of a chimneyfull and let them ignite on down. I don't think it would get the inferno effect that way. I also don't know if the heat in the drum from this would be enough to fark up a wood or thermoset handle, though.

I've never used coal (never seen it for that matter); If you heat briquets too slowly, you can get some bitterness in taste I believe. Is coal different?
It certainly will work for a while, just not sure about the long run. How tight are these drums?
"Let's" try it. Burn a dry run for a few hours, and tell us the results :rolleyes:

Yep it will work... I drilled a bunch of holes in a coffee can for the same reason/effect. It worked perfectly. Got my temps up to 230 but didn't waste a bunch of charcoal.

Yep it will work... I drilled a bunch of holes in a coffee can for the same reason/effect. It worked perfectly. Got my temps up to 230 but didn't waste a bunch of charcoal.
Coffee cans are what I used in the 70's . Instead of drilling holes, I used a church key to punch them and the phlanges woulld kind of hold up briquets a bit off the bottom. Used a short piece of 12 inch dia. galvanized ducting for larger fires.
How long did it last? Did it increase in temperature after about an hour or so?

Last edited:
This is the way I light my Big Green Egg for a long burn. Fill the chamber and light the top. It ignites slowly and burns down, keeping a well- controlled and long-burning fire. It should work well in barrell cooker.

Will work just fine!
I have done it.

Remember, you have total control of oxygen in the drum. Does not really matter if you have 2 lbs. or 20 lbs. of charcoal in the drum. Burn rate is based upon oxygen flow rate.

Burn TIMES will be vastly different but burn RATE will be the same.

Back