Workhorse 1975 wagon fabrication Q

Gizmoguy

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Dano
Thinking about getting in line for one of these but had some concerns about the wagon design. While the cook chamber is likely well secured to the firebox as a point of attachment, pictures suggest the remainder rest on 2 relatively thin flanges which in turn connect to a single pole at wheel level.

The 1975 regular version has more traditional 4 points of attachment and weight distribution.

I’ve done my reading and in general Workhorse Pits really appears beyond reproach. I’m no mechanical engineer, so was hoping those who own or have used both/either might let me know their experience and impression. I actually really like the wagon design, but as I’ll be functionally married to 1975 till death do us part, (and I already know this gal can cook), just making sure those good looks are more than good makeup.

The 1975 would be my choice as well. Just looking at the wagon and it does look sketchy in a sort. Seems like it could just rotate around that single pole at the bottom and flop to the ground. I am sure it would never happen just looks odd cause used to seeing the 4 pts

I found a picture on their website. It looks as though the fire box is also welded to the round large diameter main frame beam. If that is the case, the flat plates will be more than enough support the smoker. Maybe confirm that fact.

Far from sketchy. I'm in a private Workhorse group and about 100 of us have wagons and never any issues, quite the opposite. I can do 3 point Y turn in a single parking space and turn it 180 degrees no problem. I have a hilly yard with grass and pull it around with no issues. Never had stability issues. The delivery guy who obviously handles a ton of these pits said the wagons are the only one he would buy based on those reasons. Here's some pics and a bonus one too!

Last edited:
You could always consider the more expensive Shirley Fabrications version which just came out, called the '94 or 24x48 trailer model. I have put down a deposit for one. I have no doubt whatsoever the Workhorse is great. I would buy one. I am sticking with SF because I saw first-hand how much attention to detail the folks from Tuscaloosa put into my Patio model.

Far from sketchy. I'm in a private Workhorse group and about 100 of us have wagons and never any issues, quite the opposite. I can do 3 point Y turn in a single parking space and turn it 180 degrees no problem. I have a hilly yard with grass and pull it around with no issues. Never had stability issues. The delivery guy who obviously handles a ton of these pits said the wagons are the only one he would buy based on those reasons. Here's some pics and a bonus one too!

Thanks SkaterSmoker for those helpful pics.

I’m less concerned about stability as I am about longevity - the bulk of the “flagpole” cooker appears supported by apex of triangular flange at 2 sites - seems like a fair amount of force concentration on that single transverse pipe. I guess I should have similar concern at weld where that horizontal flange has hole cutout for wheel axle peg. I don’t have much knowledge on weld strength and shear forces.

Maybe overthinking this whole thing. Glad to hear there are many happy customers.

I don't want to tick off the good folks who have Workhorse pits and love them.
I don't claim to be right. I am in Ohio and have no connection to Shirley other than being a customer.
Now with that out of the way, I think if you look closely to this video you can see where the extra cost is going.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2FqjzNI_mc

Absolutely, if your budget allows you to spend $1,500 more or over $5k go with the Shirley.

Thanks SkaterSmoker for those helpful pics.

I’m less concerned about stability as I am about longevity - the bulk of the “flagpole” cooker appears supported by apex of triangular flange at 2 sites - seems like a fair amount of force concentration on that single transverse pipe. I guess I should have similar concern at weld where that horizontal flange has hole cutout for wheel axle peg. I don’t have much knowledge on weld strength and shear forces.

Maybe overthinking this whole thing. Glad to hear there are many happy customers.

Maybe call Workhorse and talk to JD. They use this same setup for 250 gallon offsets on their commercial Primitive Pits company. I’m sure JD has load bearing specs. Most of the weight leans towards the firebox side and there’s quite a bit of reinforcement there.

After seeing some detailed pics by skater smoker you will have no fab issues with that design. very well done.

Back