THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PaullyQue

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hope this question is not in the wrong place. If so, be kind and direct me to the proper forum. I have been using a pellet cooker for a number of years and I have just ordered an offset smoker. I used an offset in Texas when I was down visiting this winter and really liked the result. I do not want to cook with only charcoal. I moved to the offset to get a better smoke flavor.

I live near Washington DC. Any suggestions where I can buy splits near me or online? I have not been particularly successful finding a source. I have been a fan of Oak, Apple and Pecan pellets.

Thanks.

Paul

Not sure about the DC area, but some people use craigslist and others go online for theirs. I know Home Depot sells mini splits of Mesquite and Hickory.

Do you have a truck? If so, check out the Craigslist pages for Winchester, VA and the eastern WV panhandle. I imagine firewood in those places will be much cheaper than in DC. Of course you would need to figure about 55 cents per mile for transportation into your cost, and see how it compares.

There's gotta be a wood supplier near you. Check out any tree service in the area, call them up and ask if they sell to the public, or if they don't, which company they sell to. It's out there.

Don't be afraid if it's a little over priced, either. Over the course of a season, it's not gonna matter if you paid $50 more for the cord. You won't go through that much, and with the amount of finished product you will produce it will be negligible.

The only time I ever used the bagged chunks from Home Depot was when they were blowing them out for like $3/bag, normally $10. I'd never used apple or pecan before, and was pleasantly surprised at the flavors. Other than that, they get between $600-$700/cord if you buy their bundles. It's insane, but people do it...

The only time I ever used the bagged chunks from Home Depot was when they were blowing them out for like $3/bag, normally $10. I'd never used apple or pecan before, and was pleasantly surprised at the flavors. Other than that, they get between $600-$700/cord if you buy their bundles. It's insane, but people do it...

There's a guy trying to sell apple and maple for $2 a pound, hahaha, that's about $8-9k a cord

Larry

There's a guy trying to sell apple and maple for $2 a pound, hahaha, that's about $8-9k a cord

Larry

In my state, it's required by law to sell by the cord. Whether 1/3, 1/2, or full, you have to list what it is by the cord. I'm assuming guys like that are the reason why.

In my state, it's required by law to sell by the cord. Whether 1/3, 1/2, or full, you have to list what it is by the cord. I'm assuming guys like that are the reason why.

Yep, he is charging $2 a pound but that does include shipping. In some states it is also illegal to transport wood across state lines without it being kiln dried to prevent the spread of pest such as the ash boarer. So in essence what he is trying to do could be illegal.

Back