THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fchuck36

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
good afternoon everyone,im new to this great website and have a few questions on wood seasoning.i've always cooked on a pellet grill for probly around 4 years and I finally took the plunge and ordered a reverse flow stick burner.should be ready around may next year,so here a couple weeks ago I went out to a friends place who cuts trees for a living and he split me 2 truck loads of pecan.i built my wood rack out of cinder blocks and 4x4 wood,with 2x4 on each end.i also laid a piece of tin under the wood rack so no grass would grow and keep moister in the wood.my question for everyone is,how long to season the pecan splits and after I see they are well seasoned can I build a cover for the wood.thanks everyone .

If the splits are pretty small, can get plenty of air they should be seasoned pretty well in 5 months or so in the south Arkansas sun and heat. They will definitely be seasoned real well by next may.

If the splits are pretty small, can get plenty of air they should be seasoned pretty well in 5 months or so in the south Arkansas sun and heat. They will definitely be seasoned real well by next may.

I would concur.

If you want to "rush" some of it, get it split into smaller pieces. Something the size of your wrist should season in 3-5 months if it's kept dry & stacked for ventilation.

Nice score on the wood. Pecan is my go-to & I think it's the best non-fruitwood you can find.

Up here in Maryland, pecan is only used for the smoke wood, not the primary fire which would be oak, maple, or hickory. Or lump or KComp for smoking. Use 4 chunks of pecan.
Your BBQ must smell great on a stickburner with pecan running the show.....

When we get around to it, we should have plenty of Pecan wood. We have four or five trees we need to cut down. We will keep the wood we cannot use for lumber for cooking.

Bbq freak has the easiest method I have heard. He leaves his wood out in the elements until the ends turn black.

Back