THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

j20832

Knows what a fatty is.
Has anyone smoked with non-fruiting cherry tree wood? Any thoughts on how that would work out? I ask because I can get a whole tree that was recently cut down, but I am not interested if it will impart a bitter or otherwise "off" taste.

Wild Cherry wood is some of the best smoking wood out there. As our dearly beloved KC Qer alsways said: any wood is good wood as long as it's Cherry!

Thanks guys! As a bonus, it was cut last summer, so it has been aged for about 7 months already.

Well, is it a wild/black cherry, or a what they call a live cherry? A wild/black cherry has bark similar to pine and can grow fairly tall, and not very straight. A live cherry has a smoothish bark and is used more as an ornamental tree because it doesn't get very tall.

Wild/Black Cherry is fine for smoking, not sure I would use the live cherry.

Snag all of it you found a true treasure wild cherry is killer!! great score

Well, is it a wild/black cherry, or a what they call a live cherry? A wild/black cherry has bark similar to pine and can grow fairly tall, and not very straight. A live cherry has a smoothish bark and is used more as an ornamental tree because it doesn't get very tall.

Wild/Black Cherry is fine for smoking, not sure I would use the live cherry.

Hmmm good point. He did say "non-fruiting". That rules out Black Cherry unless there is something wrong with the tree. We have thousands of cherry trees here, only ever seen a couple without fruit. I skip over those one.

It is probably an ornamental cherry. I will know for sure when I get a look at the bark. Since my original post, I did a search on this site. Some say they smoke with the ornamental cherry, pear, etc. and others don't...

Back