Wok setter on the Weber OTG. Stir Fry Rice and Chicken Breast (Pr0n)

I have a gas wok burner in my kitchen inside, but it doesn't get as hot as I can get this baby on the Weber. Cast iron skillet works too, but the wok concentrates the flavor at the bottom, cooking most by stirring the ingredients up on the side to keep them from over cooking then they all meld together in the bottom! :dancer: Then they all do the happy dance.

How about trying a cast iron wok with a flat bottom? I have other woks, but refuse to use anything but this one because it works so well. I use it both inside and out, and just love it.

Here's a shot of mine upside down on the counter so you can see the bottom is quite flat. I got mine for $3 at a flea market, but they do sell several different ones on Amazon. Just a suggestion. :mod: BTW... fantastic looking cook, Jed... as always! :thumb:

flatbottomwok.jpg

After going to a new and untried Chinese restaurant today for lunch, and definitely adding it to my "ain't gonna happen again" list. I have not fulfilled my crave for some good oriental food. This just sent my craving over the top! Great looking meal there. May have to dig the old wok from out of retirement down in the basement, an clean the old girl up for some more duty.

Blessings and thanks?? for the pictures! ( now I won't be able to sleep with pictures of dancing woks in my head )

Omar

Thanks for the post, you just inspired me to make one like it, what is the dia. and ht of the wok setter, ordered a 14in hammered wok from amazon, good job on the cook, very impressive, gives us novices something to shoot for...:clap:

It is 8cm in height and the diameter is 25cm sorry I left my Inches tape measure in the States.

How about trying a cast iron wok with a flat bottom? I have other woks, but refuse to use anything but this one because it works so well. I use it both inside and out, and just love it.

Here's a shot of mine upside down on the counter so you can see the bottom is quite flat. I got mine for $3 at a flea market, but they do sell several different ones on Amazon. Just a suggestion. :mod: BTW... fantastic looking cook, Jed... as always! :thumb:

flatbottomwok.jpg

That works for me, I have one as well, I was emulateing the gas wok burners I have seen in Chinese Restaurants. They have a ring over a BIG flame. Need the extreme heat and an air space between.

After going to a new and untried Chinese restaurant today for lunch, and definitely adding it to my "ain't gonna happen again" list. I have not fulfilled my crave for some good oriental food. This just sent my craving over the top! Great looking meal there. May have to dig the old wok from out of retirement down in the basement, an clean the old girl up for some more duty.

Blessings and thanks?? for the pictures! ( now I won't be able to sleep with pictures of dancing woks in my head )

Once you make it yourself it's only bought out at restaurants for simplicity and time out from the kitchen. :clap:

Omar

Charredapron.....got my 14in wok today, didn't have the wok setter but I found if you put a chimney full of charcoal in a smokey joe, the wok seats perfectly,barely touching the coals, seasoned mine with this, took hour or so, neighbor came over with a laser temp device, read 147 at top edge to well over 500 near the bottom, I think by SJ is gonna be my wok setter, thanks for the inspiration.

I have the Weber wok...because I'm a shameful Weber whore...and love it. Something about blazing that fire as hot as it'll go and hearing that sizzle.

I have a lot to learn about wokking, thanks so much for the info and delicious-looking cook for motivation! I had a pounded wok years ago, just used it on an electric stove and lost love with it. I'm figuring out now that's likely because what I made didn't taste like good restaurant stir fry. Gotta get this happening here in the summer.

Back