THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ya all year and hardcore no shelter, just my blackberry brandy and a cigar once in awhile! I laugh at snow ( ha haw ):crazy:

Here west of the Cascades in the PNW we really don't deal with temps below freezing much. Just a lot of rain in the winter! I keep mine under cover on the back deck and go year round.

If you live in north of American, will you still do smoking in winter.

I am thinking to build a canvas tent, fire retardant, rain proof.
Built with high quanlity alluminum alloy pole, say diameter 33mm, wall thickness 1.5mm, alloy series of 6000 or 7000 which is for aeroplane.

The tent will be 6 feet wide, 8 feet long, 8 feet tall. The frame will be constructed by 12 pieces of alloy pole/pipe. Please find
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20x40-party...134891?hash=item43ef920c6b:g:fi4AAOSwn8FXR2PL
as a reference.

I expect price around US$500. Will you need it.

linked says $270 shipping so $770 - Most ppl would build a permanent Shack or buy an Aluminum Carport for that price. I know I would.
Like this for $695...... https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/fod/5782898685.html

Here west of the Cascades in the PNW we really don't deal with temps below freezing much. Just a lot of rain in the winter! I keep mine under cover on the back deck and go year round.

Kind of like what's coming this weekend :shock: I'm lucky enough to have covered patio , so weather is not a deterrent

linked says $270 shipping so $770 - Most ppl would build a permanent Shack or buy an Aluminum Carport for that price. I know I would.
Like this for $695...... https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/fod/5782898685.html
misunderstand me.
I cite that link to give you an idea how the frame is constructed.
It does not belong to me.
I am thinking a canvas wall tent for snow winter day smoking.
Carport still lets you blown by cold wind

The cold will not stop me, but snow might. I store my Weber and my smoker in my shed, so if it snows too much I not going to drag the smoker out. The Weber is light enough that I can carry it over the snow. I guess I should really say our house as a limited menu during heavy snowfall.

misunderstand me.

Still most people will put up a permanent Wooden structure or Aluminum at their house.
For contests, events etc they would use something like you are propsing but there are many available already, pretty common.

misunderstand me.

I would also guess that winter barbequeing would not be the best target audience for a tent structure. You would not be able to leave it outside during winter because it would collapse under snow. That would mean having to set it up before you decide to cook. Setting it up would be a pain if there is a bunch of snow on the ground. If the tent has to be staked to the ground, you have the problem of frozen ground.

Also even if you decide to go through the hassle of setting it up before every cook, the weather can change a great deal in the amount of time it takes to make a brisket. You would still run the risk of a snowfall or winds collapsing the structure.

Then you would have to take it back down after a long days cook. Too much hassle, I'd rather make my brisket in the microwave. :grin:

One of those open sided tents would be good for summer, just to keep the rain off.

This will be my first winter with a WSM. I'm looking forward to seeing how it acts in the snow. But otherwise, yes I grill/bbq all winter long. Here in New England it can get downright nasty at times, but if you wait it out 10 minutes, it will change!
Last year we had record breaking snowfall. I used a wall of snow to insulate the kettle!

This will be my first winter with a WSM. I'm looking forward to seeing how it acts in the snow. But otherwise, yes I grill/bbq all winter long. Here in New England it can get downright nasty at times, but if you wait it out 10 minutes, it will change!
Last year we had record breaking snowfall. I used a wall of snow to insulate the kettle!

I moved one of the WSM's up onto the back porch under cover next to the gas grill for the winter. Works great.

Can I join the "southern MN" club? I mean, I'm only 15 miles SOUTH of Minnesota? I don't quite have the Minnesotan drawl though...

I guess you can. We need as many big ten people around as possible. If you are a Hawkeye fan maybe that'll help balance out the neighborhood away from the Gophers :razz:

This was 20 degree heat wave end of Febuary last year..... I cook more in the winter...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 85
I ask this question as I am thinking to make Tipi type tent for winter smoking.
Very easy and fast to set up, say within 10 minutes.
I have received alluminum post today, extened length is 9' feet, but storage length is 2.5' feet. I am waiting for another part and tarp.
When ready, I will post picture here

I tried smoking in the winter this year and the UDS worked great! Did smoked turkey on Christmas Day and it was a hit. I kept smoking through the winter. Ribs. Pork. Etc. The UDS was awesome and I didn't put a jacket on her.

Back