THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now you know someone that doesn't sauce BBs...
I guess I include wrapping in foil with margarine, sugar and other stuff under this heading. Does that include you? I am curious, because I avoid loinbacks, even when they are on sale, because I don't like sweet ribs. Even with spares, I don't usually add much sugar to the rub.

Yesterday I cooked 3 racks each of Swift all natural that I picked up at Costco and I much preferred the SLC to the loin backs. Both were seasoned the same with my own mix of Memphis Dust, cooked naked the whole time and sauced with Sweet Baby Rays original the last 45 minutes. Cooked between 235 and 240 the whole cook. No comparison between the two in my opinion. Spares were much more tasty. Smoked with Pecan.

For me and only me it seems a no brainier.
Spares to me are meatier tastier , fatter..
But that's why they make chocolate and vanilla :-D

For me and only me it seems a no brainier.
Spares to me are meatier tastier , fatter..
But that's why they make chocolate and vanilla :-D
I like this comparison. Chocolate, like spares, needs little additional flavor added. Loin backs, for most, are a base for people to add flavor to.

I guess I include wrapping in foil with margarine, sugar and other stuff under this heading. Does that include you? I am curious, because I avoid loinbacks, even when they are on sale, because I don't like sweet ribs. Even with spares, I don't usually add much sugar to the rub.

I've done them all different ways but nekkid ones are good too. I was raised on loin backs so it took time for me to like spares or slc. Lately I've been cooking more spares. I like them both now but loin backs are like family if that makes sense.

You eat Pork Medium Rare? Why in the world would you do that?

I pull pork chops/loin at 140*. Which is, I guess, more of a medium than a medium rare.

But in bone in pork chops I pull at 140* in the middle of the meat, and the meat up tight in the bone is probably more of a medium rare than medium.

I guess my question for you is why WOULDN'T you? The flavor and texture of a loin chop are at their best in that neighborhood. A bit warmer than a good ribeye steak, but nowhere near the traditional 160-170* temp barrier.

I have no food safety concerns at all. Trich is virtually extinct in modern pork, and even if it was present in the pork it is dead at 137*. It's bad enough that it's so difficult to find pork loin that actually has fat in it nowadays (thanks to you "other white meat" marketing BS), why compound the issue with overcooking it? I HIGHLY recommend cooking yourself a pork chop to 140* internal sometime and trying it. If you've been cooking to the traditional 160* you just don't know what you've been missing out on.

Hmmmm, I'm going to disagree with most of you. I WANT to like spares better because of price and to be a REAL bbq guy I should like them better. However when I go back through my notebook every time my ribs scored high in my opinion(I am very critical of my own food) it is always baby backs that were better. This makes me want to try some spares this weekend though.

Competition

Hmmmm, I'm going to disagree with most of you. I WANT to like spares better because of price and to be a REAL bbq guy I should like them better. However when I go back through my notebook every time my ribs scored high in my opinion(I am very critical of my own food) it is always baby backs that were better. This makes me want to try some spares this weekend though.

Same goes for me! I turned in Baby's the last two competitions and scored much better than the previous events with spares and I like the spares better for many reasons. Go figure!

Back