THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can feel those cracks in my soul!

I just got an egg this past Xmas, but its not my first.
My first was given as a present by my first wife in 1989. We lived about three miles from the store in Atlanta. They were real clay back then.
The day I moved out in 1993, the egg was the first item up the ramp into the truck. And the item that told me that the ramp was a little wobbly. It looked about the same as the photo. Considering that day, I didn't a hoot in hell, I left it laying in a pile in the driveway.

The table is the way to go. The nest holds it, but just barely (back when I got my first they had no real legs, just an iron stand w/ no wheels and I didn't even have that). The drawback to the table is the added weight, adding to an already heavy item.
That stand is just fine for a concrete back porch, but its no overland device.

If you park a mercedes on a pedestal mounted on shopping cart wheels and try to push it across a cracked sidewalk....

Seriously though, when I was building my first customer pit, it weighed well over 700lbs, was made of 1/8" and 3/16" steel all welded reverse flow. I didnt have a paint booth and had it on blocks under a tent in a yard painting it. One if the blocks started to sink and the whole thing toppled over leaving a huge dent in the ground! Thinking the worst - We got it stood back up and everything was still straight and square!

I'm the idiot who scrambled the egg

The wheel was not cracked
What happened is what many assumed
In my stupidity I did not know to pull it and I was pushing it
Wheel hit the crack and it toppled

750 bucks later the replacment base,fire basket and fire ring will be at the local store on Thursday

Costly lesson to learn but I'll be sure to not let it happen again.

As for using this as a reason not to get a bge I suggest everyone who is so against them get a chance to try one out.
As with many things they are worth the money if you have the money to spend.

Ive yet to find anything that comes close to the bge as far as temperature stability and control.

Glad we could help you with the replacement parts - I'm even more happy that now you have your own Large BGE to play with. Indeed the BGE is a world apart from any Weber Kettle.

UPDATE:

The broken egg has been repaired and I recieved one as a wedding gift.

Heres a picture of the anti egger who started this thread at my house using it ;)

251132_2140651674299_1186408285_32684887_4505029_n.jpg

Assuming we're talking BBQ, if I'm not completely satisfied with my wsm smoke flavor, I'm certainly not going to be happy with a bge.

I've got my kettle for grilling, and I already mentioned my wsm, so at least for MYSELF, if I had bge $$$ to burn, it would go toward a stickburner. :pray:

UPDATE:

The broken egg has been repaired and I recieved one as a wedding gift.

Heres a picture of the anti egger who started this thread at my house using it ;)

251132_2140651674299_1186408285_32684887_4505029_n.jpg
At least he put his lit cigaret on the cooking grate of that gasser and not your egg. :hand:

Back