Why even have kcbs/ what can we do?

Shane.......I like the idea of being able to view or listen to board meetings on-line, whether it is a "live" broadcast or giving the members access via KCBS website to tune in at their convenience! That is a great idea, and yes, I would have to agree, I believe they would maybe perform or conduct the meetings in a different manner (not that I know how they conduct their meetings). Instead of reading minutes in the Bullsheet, or on the website, it just makes sense to me that if the member feels like he/she is involved through the audio or video experience, they may feel more compelled to get a little more involved.? And just maybe instead of a "no-report" we would hear a "report"!? Like you, I voted for the one who I knew would make a difference and push the envelopes on the issues a little bit harder than the others, but the out-come didn't fare our way. It's time we all get together and start voicing our concerns and start pushing the e-mail envelopes a bit harder. Doesn't matter what the issue is. Just my two cents........:wink:.

Guys, guys ... don't let it get personal. Consider yourselves all lucky that you live close enough to contents to participate and enjoy. Some of us live far, far away from such wonders.

Everyone here should crack open a bottle of their favorite beverage, take a few swigs, relax, and realize that we're not all that much different from each other. We just each have our own interests and passions.

And, in the words of Senator Smalley ... that's OK!

Easy there, buddy! Shane is pretty damned involved AND he's a huge reason my contest here in Pleasant Hill is so successful! He and Vern, also a member here, are regular and top notch volunteers, taking care of anything the teams need! In my opinion, he has every right to bitch!

I look at it like this... you don't believe any of this is effecting you? Great! Let's see the stunned look on your face when KCBS is gone and you're looking for contests to go hang out with your friends! How much is it gonna effect you then?

didnt seem to me that oc was specifically targeting one person. If you have been reading over the last week it seems like there has been nothing going on other than bitching. If one has the right to voice their opinion, so does the other!

I will add this. If you want to change something... quitting or not joining it and working within the actual body itself changes nuthin.

Change comes within. KCBS got the way it is because people quit.... whatever side you are on... it got the way it was because whoever your for or against stayed with it and changed it and the quitters quit.

Excellent point. For all the whinning people, ask yourself this. Are you part of the solution or part of the problem. If you REALLY feel so strongly about what's going on, instead of telling the internet boards, type an email to KCBS and personally get involved. Otherwise, quit fanning the flames. Become a fireman and put the flames out.

Excellent point. For all the whinning people, ask yourself this. Are you part of the solution or part of the problem. If you REALLY feel so strongly about what's going on, instead of telling the internet boards, type an email to KCBS and personally get involved. Otherwise, quit fanning the flames. Become a fireman and put the flames out.
I would not consider it whining, I simply wanted to start a conversation and see if other people felt the same way as I do about more transparency in the organization. If there was no other interest among my fellow Brethren I did not much see the point in contacting the Board. Granted I got a little excited but sometimes that is what it takes to get people to take notice of what you are saying. You are fanning the flames! Now you have me upset for calling people who feel strongly about this whiners! Would you be open to contacting the BoD and requesting to have better access to our meetings? Even if you don't care to listen I can't see how anybody would see this as a bad idea.

The NAME CALLING ends now!
Please return this to a civil conversation w/o name calling.
Thank you.

I may have missed something, but where is the name calling? Let me edit this, I see what some people may consider name calling.

As a member the only thing I ask is that the BoD find a way to work together for the benefit of the membership. I'll get interested again when they can start reporting on what they've accomplished without bloodshed.

Until then I'm going to travel to the events where I can spend time with my friends. Pleasant Hill w/Phil,Spicediddy, and The Diddler. Bedford with a couple of new friends I met in AZ on the Plowboy Goodwrench Tour. Catering for the masses w/Plowboys Todd and Randy at the World Pork Expo. B2B and Shanon w/Todd. IBCA and LSBS events here in Texas as time allows. Meaning I'll be hanging with adults that act like children, for the RIGHT reasons.

KCBS isn't going anywhere. I never shane doesn't voluteer, I don't evenknow him. I am just saying there is never a thank you to anyone in the organization just a bitch. Also I do more at comps then hang out with my friends, I vend which is part of my livelyhood. I refuse to sit back and listen to all of this when these people volunteer their time to be on these boards and rep these comps and rarely a thank you. I voted for you because I thought you were a good canidate who could hear everyones points, apparently I was wrong, buddy. Appears you are overly defensive on only your opinions, a good leader would respect everyones and not react as you did. I pay and I help anyone I can and have a lot of friend who volunteer their time to make this all possible. So I will bitch on and so can shane, so can you. We don't all have to agree on everthing, just my opinion here.

I don't know about you but I'm not going to take the existence of KCBS for granted.

Anyway, if you feel your vote for me was wrong, I'm sorry you do. Nothing I stood for has changed and I'm always open to other's opinions and viewpoints. I apologize I took your post as more of an attack on Shane than you meant it but I will always defend those who help me like Shane does. Today, my head is more clear. Yesterday when I replied, I'd just gotten back from having to make a tough decision on the life of a pet and hunting companion. You have my apologizes.

Yesterday when I replied, I'd just gotten back from having to make a tough decision on the life of a pet and hunting companion. You have my apologizes.
Real sorry to hear this. I had to put two wonderful dogs down last July. It's not an easy decision and there's a big loss.

Until then I'm going to travel to the events where I can spend time with my friends. Pleasant Hill w/Phil,Spicediddy, and The Diddler
Awesome, get to finally meet the ever elusive...well, considering this will be my first journey out to the flatlands....Jorge....look forward to meeting you in Pleasant Hill.....the countdown is on....

..... Pleasant Hill w/Phil,Spicediddy, and The Diddler..... Meaning I'll be hanging with adults that act like children, for the RIGHT reasons.

Sooooo - how many bottles of Templeton Rye are going to be needed? :biggrin:

Also keep in mind that the majority of this drama is being center-staged at Basso's, which is heavily censored. I myself have had two posts removed today, presumably for saying something Ray didn't like. (One post was a reply to a person asking a question about connecting to BBQ people via Facebook)

If you don't want to be censored by Basso, take out an ad on his forum, then you can say what you want.
icon3.gif

I don't post on these forums much, and one reason is that the conversations have not changed since I've started reading this and other forums...every year, around Jan-Feb, its the KCBS Slam dunk, April brings "how do I smoke Ham", Nov brings How do i cook Turkey...then its, fat side up or down, to sauce or not etc etc etc....Why do I keep reading???? its entertaining to me, which I suppose it what this is meant to be, I wasnt aware that the worlds (bbq) problems were being solved right before my very eyes!!!

JayAre

So, you're entertained here, but you don't like the content? I notice you have not started any threads in the year and a half you've been a member and by your own admission, you don't post much. I can't help but wonder why you felt it was necessary to throw an air punch at the forum?

By the way, you're correct in deducing that the content of this and other forums seems cyclical; that's largely because the nature of life itself is cyclical. People continue to join this forum in large numbers every year and some don't realize that many of their common questions can be answered by searching the historical posts. Thus, every year folks ask about smoking a ham for Easter or a turkey around November. Likewise, those that compete on the various BBQ circuits will start to reflect on the past year and use this forum as a place to exchange ideas (that's kinda why it's here!).

This site is a "consumer-driven publication"; perhaps you've noticed that most major consumer magazines have a similarly repetitive flow to their content. This is due to the cyclical nature of events in our lives: every spring we're instructed on "how to improve the curb appeal of our homes, grow bigger tomatoes, which new promising players to look out for or how to smoke an Easter ham". Every fall it's "how to carve a pumpkin, how to insulate your home, which new car to buy" or a "recap of the racing season".

But for those who take the time to search for it, there lies a wealth of information to be gleaned and a host of friendships to be made here. This forum truly is a brotherhood; one that actually gets together and does things outside of cyber space. From Brethren Bashes to nationwide contests, the members of this global forum can be found pursuing two things: BBQ excellence and fellowship.

I hope you'll take time to seek out and visit with some of the Brethren at a contest near you this year. I think you'll find a great group of people who are willing to help out when you need a hand, share a few BBQ tips, a beer or a cigar and not ask anything in return. And who knows, maybe you can even help solve some of the BBQ world's problems while you're at it?!

Cheers! - Woody

Mod Note: What happens on other forums has no relevance here. Those discussions belong on the forum(s) in question. Just as we are entitled to run this forum as we see fit, each other forum owner etc. is entitled to run their own forum as they see fit.

So, you're entertained here, but you don't like the content? I notice you have not started any threads in the year and a half you've been a member and by your own admission, you don't post much. I can't help but wonder why you felt it was necessary to throw an air punch at the forum?

I wasn’t aware that it was a requirement to start threads; I’ll work at that in the future. As for the “air punch”…While my comments may not have been very productive for the conversation itself, my comments were NOT meant to be a shot.

By the way, you're correct in deducing that the content of this and other forums seems cyclical; that's largely because the nature of life itself is cyclical. People continue to join this forum in large numbers every year and some don't realize that many of their common questions can be answered by searching the historical posts. Thus, every year folks ask about smoking a ham for Easter or a turkey around November. Likewise, those that compete on the various BBQ circuits will start to reflect on the past year and use this forum as a place to exchange ideas (that's kinda why it's here!).

This site is a "consumer-driven publication"; perhaps you've noticed that most major consumer magazines have a similarly repetitive flow to their content. This is due to the cyclical nature of events in our lives: every spring we're instructed on "how to improve the curb appeal of our homes, grow bigger tomatoes, which new promising players to look out for or how to smoke an Easter ham". Every fall it's "how to carve a pumpkin, how to insulate your home, which new car to buy" or a "recap of the racing season".

My point exactly, every year the same subjects get discussed and the regulars seem shocked that the subjects come up…just sayin.

But for those who take the time to search for it, there lies a wealth of information to be gleaned and a host of friendships to be made here. This forum truly is a brotherhood; one that actually gets together and does things outside of cyber space. From Brethren Bashes to nationwide contests, the members of this global forum can be found pursuing two things: BBQ excellence and fellowship.

I hope you'll take time to seek out and visit with some of the Brethren at a contest near you this year. I think you'll find a great group of people who are willing to help out when you need a hand, share a few BBQ tips, a beer or a cigar and not ask anything in return. And who knows, maybe you can even help solve some of the BBQ world's problems while you're at it?!

That’s funny!

Cheers! - Woody

Overall….Thanks for the entertainment :grin:

I am a real newbe at all of this and the forum. Have joined KCBS and see a lot of benefits down the road and have a ton to learn.

There are more than just the KCBS that are BBQ sanctioning bodies, however KCBS certainly seems the most successful.

Now I might be truly naive but it seems to me that this forum, the people contributing to "The BBQ Brethren" could make one heck of a sanctioning body for all things BBQ!

How many members are there here? Do the website owners and those directly involved with this forum even think such could be beneficial or profitable?

Well... I think it is possible!

So... how do we get started?

John

Now I might be truly naive but it seems to me that this forum, the people contributing to "The BBQ Brethren" could make one heck of a sanctioning body for all things BBQ!

John

I suggested this a few years ago. Not sure that dog will walk. And admittedly it IS a lot of work. We can't dismiss that some of these board members are incredibly active and responsive, and dedicate a lot of time to this.

Back