Why do my butts and briskets smell like fart after cooled down and put in the fridge?

Take this back to the beginning is the smoke clean and clear before you even put the meat on? I have a bud that's just accustomed to over smoked meat because that's how he does it, my meals have a hint of smoke as it should be in my opinion.

Opinions..........everybody has one.

Opinions are fine unless they violate our rules. You posted 4 times with no other intent but to antagopnize, which is clearly spelled out in the rules...

NO personal attacks. NO attacks of any kind. Recognizing that everyone has, and is entitled to an opinion, if your opinion comes across as antagonistic, bad karma, insulting or hurtful to another member, or person, keep it to yourself. Any meaningless post that is nothing more than a negative comment or is strictly there to antagonize, will be edited or deleted. Any post with no redeeming quality or deemed negative by moderators will be deleted. In other words, you are NOT allowed to be a jerk just to chit stir or piss people off. Understanding the fine line between friendly jabs or wise cracks, and obnoxious comments, use discretion. Moderators do not have time to be putting out flame wars.

In addition, please keep this in mind...

A MODERATORS DECISION IS FINAL. If your moderated, live with it and move on. We live by these rules, and any moderator action is due to an infringement. We don't moderate on content, but we do enforce these rules.
  • Challenging a moderator in public for their action will lock you down, all abilities to post and edit will be removed.
  • Whining to the admin will get you no where, so don’t bother.
  • When you are moderated for an infraction or infringement, you might receive a PM as to why. If it was a blatant infringement, it will be deleted with no notice. If not, it is acceptable to send a civil note to the moderators requesting the reason. We dont sent messages for general scrubbing or cleanup of banter or chatter.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/basics/mistakes/

I will see if I can find something about cooling meat after cooking. Sounds like spoilage bacteria is growing. Turns out there are bacteria that cause food borne illness and then there is spoilage bacteria. Turns out bad smelling meat probably won't make you sick. Probably being the key word. Check your refrigerators temp as it can be 40 degrees Fahrenheit max.

Scent vs Taste

It's amazing how bad something can smell versus how good it could taste. I know our evolutionary smell senses tell us what we shouldn't eat but...

There are tons of examples around the world.

Thai Fish Sauce. Stinks in the bottle and even worse when steaming off in the Wok but makes for very delicious Pad Thai...

Your own Methane my not be objectable.

Stinkheads Alaska

Hákarl

Many, many other fermented foods...

I just know that lotsa marinades and rubs don't taste too good but are awesome when cooked. However, I've never had a bad smelling piece of cooked meat. Either the meat is bad or you have some moldy or otherwise bad wood.

I know from Traveling in Europe, not all folks like to keep refrigerators nearly as cold as what we do in the states. So highly possible as othes have mentioned, could be bacteria growth from temperature.

Fridges in U.S. should be in the range of 1.6-3.3 degrees Celsius. What's normal for Finland?

Does my urine smell like asparagus or does the asparagus smell like urine? Maybe the problem isn't with the bbq... Just a thought.

I've had minor issues with a bit of mold on the cooker walls I didn't see until it was going.....nothing major, but I could taste a small difference in the finished product..

If it was that, your start-up & smoke would probably be pretty noticeably smelly, though.....

WHAT. THE. FARK?:shock:

I have never heard of this predicament.

Maybe your fridge is the culprit. Waterline backed up? Something stuck in a shelf or drawer you can't see?

Does your dog know how to open it like Ron Burgundy's dog?

Did you perhaps use too much smoke? I've done that a few times and it can come out smelling pretty bad. Not exactly like $h!t but a strong bad smell.

Well ive never heard of it but after a quick google search its been discussed on several forums. It doesn't seem to have to do with bbq from the little reading ive done.

I think we are looking at this the wrong way. The man is from Finland and from my knowledge fish is a big part of the diet and food stream. I remember a lot of people discussing the terrible smell that danish babyback ribs would give americans. It was due to the feed which was mixed with fishmeal. As well when you eat fish a lot your gaseous emissions will probably mimic the smell of digested fish. Its my opinion that the smell they are garnering is that of the feed stock coming out in the final cook. We in the states get our meats from the same animal husbandry and feed stocks so we don't have a clue what this smell might be.

I had a friend who live in upstate new york around farming country. His mother would make the best duck from hunting trips he and his father would take. He moved to Long Island and went hunting with a buddy. He called his mother and got his wife the recipe. She cooked it right he said. The texture and seasoning were wonderful but the taste was off. He called his dad and said "Pops, Felice did everything just like mom but its just tasted off". His father responded "Yeah ya damn fool they eat grain and good stuff up here, down there they are eating seaweed in salty water."

Back