THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic misters like a hydroponic set up?

Yeah but they need to be brass. I did it when I was doing it. I liked the effect on ribs and it saved me an hour.

But you have to remove the nozzles... no, nipples and soak them in cleaner and vinegar each time afterward or they clog. Plus, I am not sure I got better results due to the flavored steam it introduced when the stuff hit the diverter plate.

I spray ribs and butts after the bark has set about every 30-60 minutes with 100% apple juice. Apple and pork are just made for each other.
Never spray brisket.

Being as new as I am to real Que, I'm trying different things. I'll go no spray next time, have sprayed for all above listed reasons (no need to elaborate) but I'll give no spray a chance. Also recently switched to a stickburner so I'm still testing how everything cooks differently from my UDS. Good post.

Honestly, I used to spray all the time. Now I don't even bother. I never even tasted any hint of apple juice on my ribs. I rather just add more brown sugar to my rub if I want sweeter ribs.

If I spritz it's usually at the beginning and end of a cook. I've found spritzing at preset intervals during the cook can lengthen the cooking time considerably, lets heat, moisture and aroma escape not to mention using more fuel. If I want a moist cooking environment I will use a water pan strategically placed in the cooker. All really depends on what I'm cooking and what I am hoping to accomplish.

No spray here.

Im a back to basics kinda bbq'er, Im not into the whole layers of flavor thing. I like the meat flavor to stand out unfettered. I can get bark with salt alone and the meat stays juicy.

Its all about temp and time.

Have to admit I never tried it though.

Yeah but they need to be brass. I did it when I was doing it. I liked the effect on ribs and it saved me an hour.

But you have to remove the nozzles... no, nipples and soak them in cleaner and vinegar each time afterward or they clog. Plus, I am not sure I got better results due to the flavored steam it introduced when the stuff hit the diverter plate.
I built a system some time ago and had more trouble with clogging then it was worth. I bumped the pressure up and also used larger nozzles but then other problems started.

Harry Soo says that spraying allows you to control the moisture level of the cooking chamber. He cooks without water and sprays only water and only after the bark sets.

While his product is just about second to none, I'm not Harry Soo, so I prefer filling my water pan. In a WSM, there is typically a lot of moisture sitting on the meat, so there's not a lot of need to spray if the water pan remains full.

About 31 years ago when I moved out of my parents house and was living on my own...
I didn't know very much about cooking or grilling; other than I liked it.
So I learned most things by accident and experience over time. To prevent the meat on
the grill from being burnt I started spraying everything with water from a spray bottle.
It worked great at keeping the flare-ups to a minimum.

One day I thought....Hey; if I
add some flavors into the spray bottle...then maybe the food will taste even better.
So I tried a number of different things to spray on the burgers, steaks, ribs, etc. and
finally came up with something I liked. Others people liked it as well and would turn
down the offer of using BBQ sauce on the meat as It tasted great without any other
sauce on it.

So yes....spraying the meat can absolutely 100% add flavor to whatever meat you are
cooking. I have been doing it with success for over 29 years. Just find the method
you like best....spray or no spray....marinate or no marinade.....low heat or high heat..
...find the method(s) that make your food taste the way you like best and stay
with it. Your taste buds are the only ones that matter.

Not all cookers have lids to lift...I sweat ribs for hpurs on a Santa Maria Pit. Its either the Rosemary brush or a spray. Come taste and judge for yourself.

I still spray because I can taste the difference. Especially for contests.

Completely subjective I suppose, but I'll keep spraying.

If a person has a good insulated smoker I don't see the need in spraying.

Exactly. Opening the lid on a quality smoker to spray the meat will only slow down the cooking process. What you sprayed on the meat will evaporate while the smoke chamber recovers.

That said, my wife can have a tendency to lift the lid to peak at the meat. arg! :tape:

I spray because:

1. To build another flavor layer over the rub.
2. To keep meat surfaces moist, as I do not wrap in foil.
3. To augment the chamber moisture level.

You also like your tri tip trimmed, which is blasphemy in my mind.

I used to spritz, but learned quickly that every time you hit the meat with room temp liquid, it drops a couple degrees, extending the cook time. It's a complete waste of time and effort IMO.

About 31 years ago when I moved out of my parents house and was living on my own...
I didn't know very much about cooking or grilling; other than I liked it.
So I learned most things by accident and experience over time. To prevent the meat on
the grill from being burnt I started spraying everything with water from a spray bottle.
It worked great at keeping the flare-ups to a minimum.

One day I thought....Hey; if I
add some flavors into the spray bottle...then maybe the food will taste even better.
So I tried a number of different things to spray on the burgers, steaks, ribs, etc. and
finally came up with something I liked. Others people liked it as well and would turn
down the offer of using BBQ sauce on the meat as It tasted great without any other
sauce on it.

So yes....spraying the meat can absolutely 100% add flavor to whatever meat you are
cooking. I have been doing it with success for over 29 years. Just find the method
you like best....spray or no spray....marinate or no marinade.....low heat or high heat..
...find the method(s) that make your food taste the way you like best and stay
with it. Your taste buds are the only ones that matter.
or spray your rub off

I spray because:

1. To build another flavor layer over the rub.
2. To keep meat surfaces moist, as I do not wrap in foil.
3. To augment the chamber moisture level.

I do as well.

jacob said:
A mixture of apple juice and soy sauce for color , flavor, and moisture.

same mixture! :thumb:

At Phirst I sprayed cause I learned it from you guys.
At one time I fell asleep during a midnight cook without spraying...results weren't that different.
Now I just put the meat on,wait for the right temp and go to sleep.
Moisture?...porknecks stay juicy without spraying.
Bark?....I probably can get bark on a nekkid porkneck.

Most folks that spray do so for the same reason they might foil, cooler/rest their meat etc.......because someone told them to when they first started.

Whoever thinks that they need to spray a pork butt or a beef brisket that isn't going to be foiled in an effort to keep it moist evidently has never gone the no spray/no foil route and then removed the meat from the pit with their hands. If they had experienced this, they would know their hands would be "moist" after removing the meat. It won't be dry.

Spraying is for personal preference ONLY. There is no 'need' to do it...for any reason. Only if you want to impart flavor...it does nothing else.

Back