Why cook whole brisket?

Leftovers...

Yair why is it folks always cook such huge slabs of meat?

There is only just the two of us at our place and we prefer brisket cold in sandwiches or with salad.

I just slice (say) a twelve pounder into five or six pieces and cook a piece along with a pork shoulder or maybe some silverside . . . they come off the drum at different times of course.

Makes for a nice selection of cold cuts and I get to run the drum every week.

Cheers.

Well, I'm a single guy living alone currently, between girlfriends...and I still cook whole briskets, and other cuts.

My reason?

LEFTOVERS!!!
:)

I often cook whatever in large quantities and eat on them all week. Even when not smoking...I may cook 2-4 entrees and some sides on Sunday, my cooking day. I like to cook. But I do this and have lunches and dinners for most of the week.

A whole brisket, I may eat by itself, or in sandwiches. Towards the end of the week, I may throw it in a pot and make chili out of it.

I"ll often grill a number of things on Sundays...meats veggies and then during the week, I can put them together quickly in a number of ways, so that I don't get tired of eating the same meals...I"ll make pita sandwiches out of them with maybe some tzakili (sp?) sauce, I'll at them in salads. I may throw them in a soup....etc.

I rarely if EVER eat fast food out. It isn't that cheap really...it is bad for you, and frankly it isn't all that tasty. I'd rather cook my own flavorful food from scratch, know what is going into it....and maybe a couple times of month, I'll treat myself out to a REAL restaurant...something where Ii'll drop a little coin on good service good wine selection and foods that even I might not take on cooking myself...etc.

So, there's lots of reasons. Not to mention, I have a lot of friends visiting and I always have something to feed a crowd if they come over.

So, that's it with me.

Oh yeah...I prefer to buy in bulk. Typically on a weekend...I only have to hit the grocery store for a very few items, things that don't keep like onions, lettuce...veggies like that.

I like to buy in bulk, get the discount and have most of whatever I feel like cooking on hand at any given time.

But I guess the one word answer is....LEFTOVERS. I love'em.

cayenne

Same here!
I cook for me and always smoke a whole packer. The leftovers are handy for quick meals.

Back