THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I may be politically correct :puke: There are no winners or losers. Can't we all get along? :puke:

Why else would they give out ribbons for 10th place? :biggrin1:

My son's little league baseball team doesn't even get that for a 10th place finish. :tape:

Good question...Its not us...we had a great cook at the Royal and won.... but the best has to do it always like 3 eyz pigskin joe and a ton others...I also think that the best doesnt necessarily have to be this year Thats why Im hosting the King Of the Smokers.

Hey after the Royal we cooked and had a very sluggish and lethargic cook and results to match...It was hard to go after the royal. THe guys who won deserved it big time....

I've played sports.. BBQ ain't a sport.. It's more closely compared to a beauty pagent. Your scores are based on the OPINIONS of judges.

It becomes a sport, when my fat arse is a block away from turn in with 30 seconds on the clock :shocked:

Next time you see Kelly McIntosh, ask him about the time his life flashed before his eyes and he nearly died behind the turn in table....let's just say that when this truck gets into 18th gear, there's no stopping on a dime! :shocked:

What the heck! Depends on what your expectations are.

Money?

For the fun of it?

"It's all about the money"

"Heck, it's just a good excuse to get outta the house and party".

What's the reason?

BTW, the college system sucks.

wallace

If you really want the best (KCBS) you would get 18 of the best judges and take all the teams you have mentioned and every judge tastes everything. Then you would do it two more times for a total of three turn ins across three days.

That would tell more than anything we are doing now.

EXACTLY......to get an honest answer on this i think the only way is to do it exactly like stated above because almost any team can get lucky and beat one of the better teams in a single comp. but doing a series of cooks over a few days would be a true measuring stick of consistency which IMO is the best measuring stick....i don't know how you could measure how "good" a judge is other than the number of comps. they have judged which really doesn't mean that they know their BBQ but, getting the top judges out there would be a HUGE factor in judging the top team

I am way more likely to go do a comp. where they have all certified judges....now if you had all master judges that would be even better...i know it is very minimal what one has to do to become a certified judge but my thinking is if the judges were all master judges you would at least tend to put a little more legitimacy into the judging itself simply do to the fact you know that the judges have done this several times over...I don't know, just my 2 cents I guess

I don't agree with using the Team of the Year as a judge of being the best. I can only cook 5 or 6 competitions a year, so I will NEVER finish near the top of that race even if I GC every competition. IMO (for whatever its worth) the best team in the land is the one that wins the Jack. It takes skill just to get there, and yes a lot of luck, but there you are competing against teams from around the world. The winner is called the World Champion after all :wink:

The Jack is a good contest for sure and every team there is definitely good and probably lucky. But the way the system works a lot of good/great teams are not invited and therefore a lot of unknowns and what ifs are introduced.

I am way more likely to go do a comp. where they have all certified judges....now if you had all master judges that would be even better...i know it is very minimal what one has to do to become a certified judge but my thinking is if the judges were all master judges you would at least tend to put a little more legitimacy into the judging itself simply do to the fact you know that the judges have done this several times over...I don't know, just my 2 cents I guess

i can agree with that for sure. however, there are clearly a number of teams who can win consistently regardless of judging pool or region.

i.e. alexa just wrote in another thread how they went into texas and GC'ed.

Best at KCBS or best all around comp cooker? My answer isn't going to be a popular one. If you gather up all these teams and told them to show up to an event and it could be from any sanctioning body KCBS, MBN, FBA, GBA, etc. I'm going to have my money on Myron. I think there are better KCBS teams than him right now but there are not many cooks that can walk into ANY sanctioning body and have a shot at winning like Myron does.

Back