THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You spatchcocking this years bird?

• Spatch

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • No spatch

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 26 25.2%

• Total voters
I've had to google more stuff since I found this site. I'm trying to decide if I want to risk mutiny if I mess up our turkey! Fried it guaranteed!

Made a UDS turkey with a cranberry orange brine in March and I have been asked to make it again...no spatchcock this time.

I am cooking a Thanksgiving Day meal practice run on Friday and I won't spatch it because I'm using a new cooker this year and I don't want to change too much. I hope to cook another Turkey before Thanksgiving, and I will spatch it if I get the chance.

The plan right now is to do a trash can turkey if that changes and it hits the pit I spatch Toms A$$ in a New Yawk second

Wow i'm pleasantly surprised...If the undecided broke toward spatching then it's about a 50/50 split. Spatchcocking is getting way more popular then it used to be. Like Farmer said once you spatch you never go back. :biggrin1:

I spatchcocked the Turkey last year and it came out great so I may do it again, if not I may quarter the bird first since quartering works so well for chickens.

Since it is just the wife and I and the kids this year, I may just give this a shot just because. Appearance does not matter to me. I am really the only on that eats the bird anyhow. The wife and kids prefer a big old ham.

She can cook the ham in the house and I can spatchcock on the uds.

And for the record, I just found out what "spatchcocking" was 5 minutes ago. :-D

Since it is just the wife and I and the kids this year, I may just give this a shot just because. Appearance does not matter to me. I am really the only on that eats the bird anyhow. The wife and kids prefer a big old ham.

She can cook the ham in the house and I can spatchcock on the uds.

And for the record, I just found out what "spatchcocking" was 5 minutes ago. :-D

DJ you'll love it..easy as can be and you'll have a tender juicy even cooked bird in less time. Poultry shears or a good chefs knife and cut that back bone out...press flat

I haven't even thought about Thanksgiving dinner yet, so I guess I am undecided. I spatched last year and it was great and everyone thought the presentation was fantastic, so if turkey is on the menu it will probably be spatched.

DJ you'll love it..easy as can be and you'll have a tender juicy even cooked bird in less time. Poultry shears or a good chefs knife and cut that back bone out...press flat

I just talked to the wife about spatching and she said to go for it so I will infact be spatching. :eusa_clap

Spatch, and the presentation looks great, not sure what others were referring to. Besides, I'd rather have perfectly cooked bird over a perfectly staged bird any day.

Undecided at this point- I haven't bothered to smoke a turkey yet, so I'll have to get to it before the big day so I don't fark up the main course.

Ok, with all this spatch-talk I can't go wrong.

Now, what temp do you spatch a turkey on the WSM? Also, what internal temp do you consider it done? Should I brine the bird overnight? Thanks!!

Ron, have you ever had it cured like a ham? I was thinking about doing a cure for 10days like fresh ham. ????? No Hijack intended

I've had turkey breast that was cured and smoked. It tasted like ham, but was more rubbery. I wasn't impressed, but don't let that stop you. It could have been something that the guy who made it did wrong.

Back