Whole Hog.....may need some help

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
So a buddy has asked me if I'd cook a whole hog for him for his son's Eagle Scout celebration.

So far I know it's supposed to be sometime in March and he's guessing (right now) between 60-80 people.

I've got a little advice from a buddy who's done many a whole hog. As I understand it, planning on 1 lb (hanging weight) per person due to about a 50% yield.

My challenges:
No cooker that will fit a whole hog in my arsenal. Maybe the concrete block hog cooker? Suggestions?

Never done it, though that honestly doesn't scare me much. Gotta start sometime.

I'm gonna do some interweb searching for prepping tips, etc. Just thought I'd ask you all too.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, tricks, etc. that you can offer.

Cinder block pits are fun. A BBQ Right of Passage IMO.

Id def lean to a 100lb+ hog. Even then, the problem with small hogs are the shoulders are tiny, the bacon is thin, the Jowls are underdeveloped. If your going to go through the work, cook a decent sized one

I don't know what a cinder block pit is...

I have done a number of pigs, just over open charcoal fire.
The main trick is to give yourself plenty of time.
We normally count on a good 12 hours for a pig of about 45 kg.
I don't like doing pigs much bigger than that as they take too long to heat through to the centre.
But again, that's on an open fire.

Some pics because they are fun and they say more than words

3INfu12l.jpg

SKDt3Lrl.jpg

Good on you and congrats to the future Eagle Scout. I plan to do a small hog one day. To do a BIG one on your first try is commendable. Will be following along to see how it goes.

Good luck!

I've followed Myron's technique in his first cookbook several times with great results, but we also had a big stick burner to hold the hog in.

I've done quite a few hogs. These guys were anywhere from 90#-120# Generally it will take about one hour per 10lbs I cook hotter---275-ish which gets you a pretty decent end color. I am also lazy....so there's no injection or heavy rub. I just pat dry, coat in olive oil, put some black pepper on the outside and start drinking.

Main thing is to keep an eye on it. The ears, nose, and legs will start browning first. When they get to the color you want, cover them in foil. Regarding a cooker, the cinder block pit works well. I know there are a few people on here that have used that method and it works well....

Last edited:
Cinder block pits are fun. A BBQ Right of Passage IMO.

Id def lean to a 100lb+ hog. Even then, the problem with small hogs are the shoulders are tiny, the bacon is thin, the Jowls are underdeveloped. If your going to go through the work, cook a decent sized one

That's exactly what my buddy said too. Underdeveloped muscles in anything much less than 100 lbs.

Have you done the cinder block pit before?

I don't know what a cinder block pit is...

I have done a number of pigs, just over open charcoal fire.
The main trick is to give yourself plenty of time.
We normally count on a good 12 hours for a pig of about 45 kg.
I don't like doing pigs much bigger than that as they take too long to heat through to the centre.
But again, that's on an open fire.

Some pics because they are fun and they say more than words

3INfu12l.jpg

SKDt3Lrl.jpg

Looks great, BUUUUUUT I don't have that cooking rig OR the warmer temps around here to do that either I'm afraid. :becky:

Early March around here is a toss up.

By the way.....a cinder block pit:

Block Pit.jpg

I normally do smaller pigs, like 60-70#, on my offset. I got a whole animal rotissirie and did the last one on that and I'll be doing 'em that way for a while for sure.

I'd say for you situation you should trust in cowgirl!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2011/07/cinder-block-pit-cooking.html

Injecting isn't super necessary, but I do get a better result when I do. I've used the Chris Lily injection (salt cut in half) and lately I've been using Sweet Brine O Mine, which is fanfarkingtastic.

My FIL and I started doing whole hogs about 6 months ago with a cinder block pit he built.

Ours looks very similar to the one you posted but we have a 1/4" metal plate between the meat and the fire to help even out some of the temps. We read over meathead's cinder block article and built one similar to his.

1st one we did was about 175-200lbs. We skinned it and cooked it face down. Pumped it full of salty injection and turned out great. Took about 18 hours if I remember correctly. Cooked between 225-275

2nd one we left the skin on and did about the same thing. I highly recommend Meathead's article

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/building_a_hog_pit.html

I highly recommend the heat shield and leaving room for the handles to slide down into the pit and protrude outside on both sides. Makes it very easy to lift the pig in and out of the pit.

Ive personally done Cinder block pigs 2x. Have friends that have done a few as well. Done the whole burning wood down to embers, also seen friends just use lump and chunks for smoke. In all honestly, the wood is very classic, but the finished product is little to no different than using lump

13327592_1146470638761233_3366939763856576804_n.jpg

Foiling a cinderblock hog was worthless, do not repeat

13312638_1151242834950680_6645928025513222209_n.jpg

13346403_1151242874950676_6343175748195394315_n.jpg

I normally do smaller pigs, like 60-70#, on my offset. I got a whole animal rotissirie and did the last one on that and I'll be doing 'em that way for a while for sure.

Injecting isn't super necessary, but I do get a better result when I do. I've used the Chris Lily injection (salt cut in half) and lately I've been using Sweet Brine O Mine, which is fanfarkingtastic.

Greg beat me to it. I'd visit Jeanie's blog if I was doing the cinderblock thing. I think we all know if you're doing it, it's going to turn out awesome, Wamp.

Check with your butcher. When I have done whole hogs in the past, the butcher supplied a rotisserie on a trailer and already had the hog on the spit when I picked it up. Easy peasy, tow trailer home light charcoal and wood chunks add the piggy, open beer and enjoy the day!

Greg beat me to it. I'd visit Jeanie's blog if I was doing the cinderblock thing. I think we all know if you're doing it, it's going to turn out awesome, Wamp.

I just got done going through Cowgirl's two block pit blog posts.
Right now, that's definitely my baseline. Not sure if I want to go skin on or or off. The way she did the skinless one sure looks like serving it will be less work on the back end.

Ive personally done Cinder block pigs 2x. Have friends that have done a few as well. Done the whole burning wood down to embers, also seen friends just use lump and chunks for smoke. In all honestly, the wood is very classic, but the finished product is little to no different than using lump

13327592_1146470638761233_3366939763856576804_n.jpg

Foiling a cinderblock hog was worthless, do not repeat

13312638_1151242834950680_6645928025513222209_n.jpg

13346403_1151242874950676_6343175748195394315_n.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

I'm assuming that there was some sort of cooking grate/expanded metal on the rebar? Did you need to fill the gap created by the rebar? Seems like a bit heat loser. No?

So a buddy has asked me if I'd cook a whole hog for him for his son's Eagle Scout celebration.

So far I know it's supposed to be sometime in March and he's guessing (right now) between 60-80 people.

I've got a little advice from a buddy who's done many a whole hog. As I understand it, planning on 1 lb (hanging weight) per person due to about a 50% yield.

The smaller the pig the less meat yield in the bone, skin, fat/meat ratio. But in your case it may work if it's mostly kids.

GUESTS SIZE
10 - 12 25 lbs.
20 - 30 40 lbs.
35 - 45 60 lbs.
60 - 65 80 lbs.
80 - 90 100 lbs.
120 - 130 130 lbs

Back