Whole Hog Cook with PRON-FAIL!

It's never a fail if you learn something,so considering that many of us also learned from your experience,it's far from failure. Thanks for posting the pics.
And a great big "way to go" for the son.:clap2:

Sorry to hear of the troubles, but glad you had a backup plan AND salvaged the pig!

A few things..

1. FROZEN Whole Pig.

2. FROZEN Pork Butz.

Find a butcher that will give you a fresh killed hog and the same with the butts. That is half the problem.

Landarc was right with his suggestion. The La Caja China is a super duper pork cooking machine. Saves you hours of digging a hole and digging the meat up again AND you use a lot less fuel... what was that pic with a tonne of wood in the hole???:shock:

Glad you salvaged the situation, but fresh is best, especially for an event like this.

Cheers!

Bill

A few things..

1. FROZEN Whole Pig.

2. FROZEN Pork Butz.

Just for clarity, the frozen pulled pork was a fresh butt when I cooked it. I just freeze the leftovers in family size portions to eat later. I will seek out a fresh pig next time I cook one.

I did learn a lot. Not sure I will try this method again. I did it because I thought I would do all the prep before the family arrived and spend more time with them, and for the most part it did work that way. I think next time I will make a block pit and just tend the fire. Many told me at the beginning that would be better and perhaps I should have listened. The in-ground method uses a tremendous amount of wood, and I apparantly did not use enough still. For all the wood I used, I could have cooked for a lot of days in the BYC.

Back