which smoker to buy

DL

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
JDL
A few weeks ago i posted about a retirement gift I was getting, a Yoder Cheyenne. Still hasn't arrived and can't get any idea when it would. That has been cancelled. The guy doing this for me is going to give me the money and let me order something else. After lots of research I've decided on an IVC type smoker. Pretty much its down to a Humphreys Weekender or Battle Box, a Cascade QueMiester or one I came across today that might be a little different, a Stumps Stumpster. I'm leaning towards the Weekender due to its probably all I need as a backyard cooker, but the Cascade comes with more options for just a little more. Any opinions and advice is appreciated.

+1 for the Battle Box or anything Humphrey's makes for that matter. Solid units that hold temp well & come with a lot of options. I run one with an old Flameboss 300 and it holds temp like a champ even in the coldest of weather I've put it through. Very charcoal efficient. Takes a bit of getting used to & dialing it in for your needs, but after the fact she'll hold temp for 18+ hours without much of a problem. Comes with good casters too. My one complain is that the smoker does sit low to the ground. I'm 6'2 & have to bend over to do a lot of cooking work. Not too much of an issue on my end, but might be for some others. I would look at the components on each too to find out where some cheap out or double down on quality. One thing that put me off a number of other smokers was the piano hinge, but others might not have an issue with it.

Edit: None of your options sound like bad ones though, nor does the T&K recommendation below!

I know this wasn't on your list but have you looked at T&K smokers? They were great to work with and my smoker is solid.

Those are all quality makes, so I don’t think you could really go wrong. Stumps is mostly known for their gravity designs, but I am sure the regular IVC is decent. They don’t build no junk.

Of those listed, I would probably get a Humphries. I like the long weekender or weekender are pretty nifty smokers that competitors like because they are easier to move around. The battle box is part of their main lineup, so has added features and more color options of that is important to you. I checked their web page and Both the weekender series and battle box are in stock at the moment, so if you want to order, you can have one coming on a truck ASAP.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I looked at the TK, the shipping was rather high compared to others. One thing I like on the Humphreys compared to the others is the door latch. Looks pretty stable .As far as the height goes, I'm somewhat vertically challenged so probably not a big deal.

I looked at all these builds and ultimately went with T&K. I really liked the Cascades but for me it came down to Midwest builder with a great reputation, solid cookers and at a good price for all the features you get. Cant comment on the use yet as my small RF should be delivered in a few weeks.

I have a Weekender and I love it. The size is just right since it is just me and the wife. I paired it with the Thermoworks Billows and this thing will hold temp for hours. It is rather short, so I recommend putting it on something.

You guys with the Weekender series, is the door opening only going to 90 degrees a big problem?

+1 for the Battle Box or anything Humphrey's makes for that matter. Solid units that hold temp well & come with a lot of options. I run one with an old Flameboss 300 and it holds temp like a champ even in the coldest of weather I've put it through. Very charcoal efficient. Takes a bit of getting used to & dialing it in for your needs, but after the fact she'll hold temp for 18+ hours without much of a problem. Comes with good casters too. My one complain is that the smoker does sit low to the ground. I'm 6'2 & have to bend over to do a lot of cooking work. Not too much of an issue on my end, but might be for some others. I would look at the components on each too to find out where some cheap out or double down on quality. One thing that put me off a number of other smokers was the piano hinge, but others might not have an issue with it.

Edit: None of your options sound like bad ones though, nor does the T&K recommendation below!

And what's the deal with that anyway? I was 6'3" prior to my back being destroyed, now I'm just a little under 6'2" myself. Every gravity feed I looked at prior to ordering my Limo Jr. seems like they sit so close to the ground. I thought about asking Scott to put longer legs on my pit so I wouldn't have to bend over (because standing back up hurts) but it's hard to tell without actually seeing one in person. My guess is I probably wind up building a platform for it to sit on when it gets here. It's almost like all gravity feds are built for short people.

Just got my Cascade Que-Deville a few months ago, and I am loving it so far. I'll admit that I am still learning. I opted for the cart, as I did not want to bend down to load the fuel, or work with low racks. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

With the brands you've named, you won't be disappointed by any of them. Also, TC Smoke & Que mentioned the Meadow Creek vault that you should consider, and I agree completely. They sell them at a local BBQ store near me, and I was very interested in them. Built like tanks, with great reviews.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies. I reconsidered the TK and sent them an email. At the moment there not taking new orders till they get caught up and the problems with obtaining material to build them straightens out. I've looked at Meadow Creek but just a little more than I want to spend and bigger than I need. There is BX50 on Marketplace not too far away from me for $2100 though. I'm considering it but still think its too big for what I need. Will probably get a Humphreys.

Will probably get a Humphreys.

One of us!
One of us!
One of us!

I'd still check out that used Medow Creek. You can get a substantial discount on 2nd hand goods. Also if you're not in a market where people know the value of those things they might be cheaper after having sat around for a while.

Thanks for all the replies. I reconsidered the TK and sent them an email. At the moment there not taking new orders till they get caught up and the problems with obtaining material to build them straightens out. I've looked at Meadow Creek but just a little more than I want to spend and bigger than I need. There is BX50 on Marketplace not too far away from me for $2100 though. I'm considering it but still think its too big for what I need. Will probably get a Humphreys.

That is a great price and I would grab it quick. It may seem bigger than you need, but it's a well built and easy / fun smoker to use. I put the Digi Q Pit Bull on mine and it purr's along without a lot of tending, and uses less fuel.

Back