THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

danno79

Knows what a fatty is.
I asked in an earlier thread of how and where I could find a drum. I checked craigslist, internet websites, called of of the oil change shops, then I went through the Auto service section of the phonebook, called a bunch of those, junkyards, etc. Either they used them themselves, or their was a core charge on em so they couldn't get rid of em. I skipped over this place called Reeve's Battery, called a couple more places, no luck. I tried Reeve's Battery, and wouldn't you know they had two or three that they would give me, Free. I just got one for now, but I know where to go in the future. Thanks to all of the guys who gave me ideas of where to check. I wouldn't have even looked, because I figured they all got re-used. Not the case everytime. Thanks Again.

Last edited:
I do have a question about the drum though. It was used for oil, and only has the bung hole for the pump, and one for air. Do I just sawlzaw the hell out of that thing to get the top off, or what?

I would keep looking for an open top and be stronger around the upper opening that way.Unless one leaves the lip or band on the top they get flimsy fast and require a band or something for strength. I buy new for our builds and think that's the best way. But when you're looking for a deal try finding clean re-cons. Not sure how far KC is for you but they are $30.00-$35.00 all day long there. Steve.

A lot of guys use closed tops like that because that's all they can find- you can cut around the inside of the top lip ( on top not the side ) and it'll still be strong then use a grill lid on it. Just be sure to clean that edge up with a file or grinder so it doesn't cut ya reaching inside drum.

When I was looking I Google'd 55 gallon drums in Alabama.

To my surprise I found a barrel maker 30 miles from my door.
One hour later I owned a new 55 gal. drum with lid.
The one I bought was not lined either, simplified first build.

I've got an angle grinder, and a cutting disc. I will cut out the top. I don't have a Weber kettle, but if I can find a lid, will that work?

You might want to cold chisel out the lid, and avoid having a spark from a power tool ignite something.

Also once the top is open, if a weber lid is not quite the right fit, you can bolt an aluminum strip around the inside of the drum, protruding about 1/2" above the top edge. Put a bead of high temp silicon between the strip and the drum.

Do a search for weber lid for UDS for more ideas and a possibly clearer explanation.

Grind the vertical side of the the rounded over lip on the top of the drum. Grinding the vertical edge will separate the lid from the drum. Think of two J's, one upside down that are meshed together.

Since your going to cut the lid off, first find a lid, Weber knock off, Weber what ever. set that on top of your lid before you cut it! That way you can cut an inch or two inside the rolled edge for your opening, bend that up with channel locks and then hammer/block finish if required for a perfect fitting lid. Instead of having to bolt a strip of aluminum to the inside sticking up for a domed lid to fit. File the edge smooth. Just a thought.

I'd pour out as much oil as possible , fill it 3/4 full of water and use grinder or saw.

That sounds like it would work pretty good, but I'm going to make sure that someone is around to call 911 if needed. I hope not, but I think with the oil out, and water inside, there shouldn't be much gas build up.

Back