THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

zachg18

Knows what a fatty is.
I was getting it online since I had a WSM and only needed a few chunks per cook. Could get expensive but not too bad.

Now I have an offset though (Oklahoma Joes) and will be using significantly more wood it seems.

Buying logs online looks a bit pricey?

I am down in Miami and have yet to find a good local wood supplier, but will keep looking.

Thanks for any tips!

Craig's List, newspaper classifieds, tree trimmers/lawn care folks. Wood pallet mills if you have one nearby. Slabs from sawmills. The pallet mill wood and sawmill slabs will require you to cut to size.

In my offset I use charcoal and buy sacks of chunks and sacks of chips at the store.

Yeah I was contemplating if I can use charcoal and a big chunk at a time instead of charcoal and a thinner, longer log of wood.

From other people I've talked to they seemed to think a split of wood can burn about 45 mins to an hour...

I'm in SW Florida and found keeping an eye on FB Marketplace and Craigslist works well. I actually havent had to buy any yet, I patiently wait for a homeowner to have a live oak trimmed or cut down then I respond to their ad for free wood. Sometimes it's green and sometimes I get lucky.

Also, check these guys out, they supply down in your area. Good luck!

https://www.fredstevensfirewood.com/firewoods/

I was getting it online since I had a WSM and only needed a few chunks per cook. Could get expensive but not too bad.

Now I have an offset though (Oklahoma Joes) and will be using significantly more wood it seems.

Buying logs online looks a bit pricey?

I am down in Miami and have yet to find a good local wood supplier, but will keep looking.

Thanks for any tips!
Online is always expensive.

Here (Spain) I´d found a guy who makes his own charcoal only from Holm Oak to sell it to restaurants.

He also sells Holm oak wood and I usually ask for 2 logs per bag.
Is better than any charcoal brand just because of not moving the bags, it has bigger charcoal chunks. (fist to arm sized ones, it´s hard to find ones to put on the chimney starter)

The wood for smoking I am getting it bassicaly for free:
I have cherry, apple, olive and oak.
I get Holm Oak from that guy (chopped).
I get Mulberry from a friend.

I also had bought hickory (pretty much like holm oak) but here is pricey online and offline so I stay using holm oak

When I had a stick burner, I would use lump charcoal for heat and sticks for flavor. Don't forget that once the meat gets over about 140 or so, it will not take in as much smoke. So at that point, I would switch over to just lump charcoal.

I use a couple local firewood suppliers.

Be cautious if you go the Craigslist route. There are legit people on CL but I've had some experiences with people that were either dishonest or didn't know wood.

Back