THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANd you have to consider the biggest variable of em all and that is the judges. Different judges mean different ideas on what is good and what is great.

thanks man, but i'd counter with there are most definitely a few cooks up here putting out food that everybody thinks is great all the time.

once again i wanna say thank you to you all for helping me work it through.

the closer i look at the actual cook, i realize the farther i was from the program.

a good mental note, and i just read it over on lakeside's blog as well...all the practice doesn't recreate the actual contest.

we're gonna chaulk it up as rust, regroup, nail down the missing details and have some more fun out there!

thanks again everyone.

Are you using "popular flavors" if not, do so and tweak to make them better or different.

my first two i was trying to be a cavalier and concocted all this great stuff...that didn't get me very far.

If you check the archives you will see that Matts real secret is wasabi glaze.

You should try that in NH.

One contest doesn't mean much. The odds of being struck by lightning in any given spot are long, but it happens. If you have something you believe in and it tanks, don't switch until you see it fail repeatedly. By the same token, if you're casting about with new recipe ideas and something hits, don't assume you've discovered the magic bullet until you prove it over the next several events.

I don't really know what to take away from Lexington this weekend. The one category that I cooked to my usual "program" was ribs and they earned me my lowest place of the day 16th. My brisket which I used a new injection, new rub (which was a decision made right before applying), and a finishing sauce I made up on the fly got me a 5th place. Trust your instincts.

Trust your instincts.

Amen brother. These things happen sometimes and it can drive you nuts if you let it get to your head. I remember a long drive back from New Holland to Rochester last summer after getting schooled down there being filled with what-ifs and maybe-we-should-haves...

you get knocked down...get back up and try again.

Back