THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHATS YOUR FAVORITE CHARCOAL?

• KINGSFORD

Votes: 48 31.8%
  • ROYAL OAK

Votes: 31 20.5%
  • LUMP

Votes: 49 32.5%
  • OFF BRAND/OTHER

Votes: 23 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chose Lump, would have chosen Royal Oak but not briquettes.
Favorite is RO Lump!

I only use wood.

I dont mean to offend anyone, to each his own, but what is the advantage to charcoal, weight? storage? Getting started faster? For my money real BBQ is done on wood, nothing else, plus it is much cheaper.

Am I missing something?

I voted for K. I usually stock-up big-time when HD has their annual Memorial Day sale. Combined with hickory and/or apple in the cooker. For grilling I like RO Steakhouse lump. :cool:

K Blue, for the best cost. My grill allows for good air flow (and therefore high temps) without worrying about the large amount of ash.

Capozzoli, to answer your question, I believe that you cook with what you have at your disposal. If you have a good supply of seasoned wood, then use it. If a hickory tree, cut up and stacked, magically showed up at my place, then I would happily do the wood thing. That to me is why there is a lot of confusion about mesquite wood. People are used to using wood chunks for smoking instead of as a fuel source. They try it and think that it is too strong. If they burned it to coals and then cooked on it, it is good.

K Blue, for the best cost. My grill allows for good air flow (and therefore high temps) without worrying about the large amount of ash.

Capozzoli, to answer your question, I believe that you cook with what you have at your disposal. If you have a good supply of seasoned wood, then use it. If a hickory tree, cut up and stacked, magically showed up at my place, then I would happily do the wood thing. That to me is why there is a lot of confusion about mesquite wood. People are used to using wood chunks for smoking instead of as a fuel source. They try it and think that it is too strong. If they burned it to coals and then cooked on it, it is good.

Makes sense. But isn't it cheaper to buy a cord or a face of wood to use as fuel and smoking wood? Then to buy commercial charcoal? Or I guess that limits the varieties of wood from have wood chunks.

I use lump for Korean BBQ or other types of table top grill where I dont want the food real smoky. But for this I make my own lump coal.

And out in the wilderness if all there was a was a bag of kingsford, Ill be right on in there. Im no snob.

I've been burning wood lately, but I've tried a bunch of lump and briqs. The best lump I've ever tried is Real Montana. Their oak and hickory is fantastic and their maple lump burns super hot and imparts a great taste. It's way too expensive to use regularly, but I keep some of the maple around to deal with temp drops, which, now that I bought the stuff never seems to happen 'cause I've gotten more used to my cooker. :doh:

I like the Rancher briqs (also sold as Trader Joe's) as well as RO briqs and RO lump. Had one bag of Nature Glo (RO for restaurants I think) that I liked but didn't like the last one (size distribution sucked) - which is a bummer 'cause I have 2 more 40# bags of it.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned BGE natural lump.

It's a little pricey, but I've found the bags to be full of BIG lumps and few crumbs.
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
[/FONT]

I can't believe that no one has mentioned BGE natural lump.

It's a little pricey, but I've found the bags to be full of BIG lumps and few crumbs.
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
[/FONT]

If I'm not mistaken (always a high probability that I am :heh:) I believe BGE lump is Royal Oak, but tending toward the bigger pieces.

That Ozark Oak stuff is great, wish I could get it around here.

If I'm not mistaken (always a high probability that I am :heh:) I believe BGE lump is Royal Oak, but tending toward the bigger pieces.

120960449.jpg

Really? I'll have to do some research on that.
121143410.jpg

I use Kingsford blue for low and slow cooks and Royal Oak for grilling steaks or chicken. I primarily use a 22.5 Weber performer

That Ozark Oak stuff is great, wish I could get it around here.

OK, I found out that Royal Oak does make a natural lump. The poll didn't specify which Royal Oak so I assumed their standard briquettes.

I'm in northern Canada, NWT and the only thing worse than the selection is the price. I get Maple Leaf brought in and it is my favorite bar none.

I use a fair amount of Royal Oak lump but that's because it's available. Next is Kingsford.

Prices are a lot more than 2 for 5$ I can assure you.

Back