What Would You Do?

Mike in Roseville

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
With many contests being canceled or postponed, I wanted to ask a question for the Brethren that compete.

If you signed up for an event months ago and was notified of a date change by the promoter would you try and still do it? What if the promoter offered a refund if that date didn't work? Would you still try and do it or get your fee back and wait until next time?

A few things to consider:

1) Many people might have difficult financial situations right now and could use the cash back. Everyone's situation is different. Obviously, if you're working and stable you're in a much different position than if you aren't (or might not be for some time). Many might ask for a refund restricting payouts if the promoter decides to continue.

2) You're still going to have to buy fuel, lodging, and meat (and there could be shortages that when the contest comes around).

3) There is no guarantee that the new date will have distancing restrictions lifted in your particular state (if there are any in your state).

Just curious what your take might be.

If they came up with a new date right away I would check to make sure it fit into my schedule...if it didn't obviously I would take the refund.

If they did not have a reschedule date right away I would take the refund and reregister later if they came up with a date that fit in my schedule.

IMO, probably best to play it safe and request a refund and then re-register.

Given that guidelines and recommendations seem to be changing every week, and this is a brand new virus without a vaccine or treatment, it's my opinion that we may not have any comps this year. Look at what the major sports are talking about: MLB playing games in Arizona and/or Florida without fans and with new conferences; NHL playing games in centralized locations without fans and a shortened schedule.

I'd try to get my money back and then play the "wait and see" game until later in the summer/fall.

Don't forget that hosting a BBQ comp is not the most profitable venture. Most of these are just trying to eek out a profit for whatever charity they are supporting and the organizers in many occasions are doing it for their love of BBQ. If you are in a position to roll over your entry fee and want to be sure your these competitions survive. Obviously not everyone is in that position, but I would give the promoters and organizers as much flexibility as possible.

Hi Mike,
It's a tough decision for sure.. Health, cost, meat supply questions.
You will have weigh all factors for yourself but I can tell you that I made the tough decision to not do any comps this year due to the whole pandemic thing. I work in hospitals and it makes me think twice about large gatherings of people involving food etc. I think with the current state of things, I would play it safe and get a refund.

To me, it's easy, given the situation that we are all in, take the refund and see what the future will be. Maybe the rescheduled event will happen on a date not good for you, new rules concerning social distancing will not be good.

Back