THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
So i have a cab brisket in the fridge, on deck for smoking. The toe end of the flat is pitiful, way thin. I prefer not to cook something that wont turnout well and will probably chop a decent portion of the flat off. Now what to do with this perfectly good meat?

Im open to suggestions, so far here's some possibilities

Cook it whole anyway, real burnt ends and chopped brisket sandwich
grind for burgers
make meatballs for meatball TD
smoke seperate for a mid cook snack
smoke seperate for faux burnt ends
any suggestions?

This may not be possible, and sound a little crazy. If it is big enough try folding the thin end over the flat until you have about the same thickness, then tie it off before cooking. I have seen it done with beef tenderloins, so the whole loin will cook evenly. Don't think an over cooked flat will make for very good burnt ends.
Dave

Cook it til probe tender, which will be way sooner than the rest of the brisket. Think of it as a warmup and snack before the rest of the meat gets done.

i would probably trim it off when it's done and have a snack, or trim it first and try an experiment.

Not sure if this is possible, but you could also trim it and braise it or use as stew meat?

This may not be possible, and sound a little crazy. If it is big enough try folding the thin end over the flat until you have about the same thickness, then tie it off before cooking. I have seen it done with beef tenderloins, so the whole loin will cook evenly. Don't think an over cooked flat will make for very good burnt ends.
Dave

I do something similar, except I fold it under the flat to offer more even thickness. Works beautifully.

Lots of good ideas. Folding it over is a good idea and testing new flavor profiles sounds interesting. I cut it off and will probably use Sunday. Still a toss up between TD entry, brisket xperiment, and i really like Titch's suggestion.

The rest of the packer is about to go on the akorn. Rain is coming with chance of flooding possible. Check Qtalk for the disaster that is about to ensue,

What Bludawg said. Cut it off before you start and try a new rub. Or maybe an injection, if you're into that. If you are not into that, here's the perfect opportunity to try it out.

Franklin cuts off anything too thin (see his excellent trim video from the A&M bbq school 2 years ago) - I would trim and either grind with chuck or sirloin for burgers or meatballs or sausage (brisket + pork = !!!) or smoke it separate to 160, pull it off and cube it, re-rub put in a little pan and cook till it probes.

I would have selected a different packer in the first place. Were there other qualities in this one that you liked?

It was the best of the bunch. The others were long and skinny. Ive always heard to avoid long skinny briskets......

Now that i think of it ive heard this but never tested it. I dont know why this is the case. guess i just drank the kool-aide. What is wrong with the long skinny brisket anyway?

It was the best of the bunch. The others were long and skinny. Ive always heard to avoid long skinny briskets......

Now that i think of it ive heard this but never tested it. I dont know why this is the case. guess i just drank the kool-aide. What is wrong with the long skinny brisket anyway?

Unsure. I generally look for a good point first, as a priority, then flat thickness, flexibility and size. If I don't see one I like, I change game plans.

Unsure. I generally look for a good point first, as a priority, then flat thickness, flexibility and size. If I don't see one I like, I change game plans.

Yea it was a good one other then the thin part of the flat. I figured i could at worst make burgers from the end that didnt look like it would make superior brisket. The cost is still less than i can get ground beef for. Whats left should be all perfectly cooked brisket. Something i took from aaron franklin is if its just gonna burn up dont waste time cooking it.

Whatever i do with the chunk ill be sure to report back here on it.

Turn it into beef jerky :) I hear brisket jerky was good and was popular when brisket was a cheap cut.

Back