THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I personally either cook for free or cook for money. Never half way.

Cook for the price of the butts and tell him your price for next time. That way you know he thinks your Que is worth the price.

Think i would do this one for free... You scratch his back now.. and he will scratch yours later!
What he said.

At most I'd hand him the receipt for the meat and let him reimburse you for that.

It seems to me that there is a lot more downside risk than upside benefit to trying to make money off the boss.

OK...I have smoked for work events where the company provided the meats, charcoal, sides (etc) and I simply [prepped/cooked. Now, my regional boss wants me to provide him with 8-10 pounds of Q in 1lb packages. What would y'all charge him if y'all were in my shoes? Most local joints run around 7-8 bucks per pound, but my Q ain't "most local joints"...

Slippery slope. I'd ask him to pick up what he wants you to smoke and that you will be happy to add it to a cook. You really don't want a lot of his repeat business. Most of the possible outcomes are not good... If he catches a cold or belly bug after eating your Que it will be your fault.

Jsn

Charge him the going rate per pound or cost of materials, whichever is higher, but make sure to cook plenty for yourself with the wood / fuel that he pays for.

A few friends have offered me $10/lb for my pork after practice cooks, so that's the price I charge (if I charge, I usually just ask for beer or desert).

free brings in just that "free loaders" If you have good food stand behind your product , however in a case like this extra special sauces instead of the generic sauce will be greatly appreciated! Tell him I made this batch of sauce just for today, it will go farther in my opinion than handing out 100 bucks of meat..
plus as a boss you are putting that person on the spot to treat you different on the job...and your co-workers what will they think?

If it's for work here's what I do. Call around to local places and ask their price of X per pound. Charge that amount, and do it company time. Tell him you need the day off before so it can be the best product you can produce.

Assuming you are talking about pulled pork, sauced... For that small a load, there is no efficiency to be had to keep the price down. Between your product, supplies, equipment, time and packaging I think $10/lb (an even $100) is more than fair.

Pulled pork no sauce...he tried it plain and agreed that sauce wasn't needed. He called today and offered $10/lb. I figure my cost to be right around $5/lb. Guess I'll be smoking Sunday...

I only do freebies by invitation only, meaning if I'm going to cook and feed you, it'll be when I choose, not when you bug me.

I personally would never take a paid gig. If you're not a licensed food vendor in your city/state/whatever you're probably breaking some laws, and if they get sick on it they can come after you. I'll pass on that particular headache.

What I will do is let somebody else buy the materials and I'll cook for them. I've done that for friends who wanted to stock their freezer--I invited them over, they asked if I'd be willing to cook stuff they bought. I've got no problem with that up to whatever fits in the smoker. We just went meat shopping together ahead of time so there weren't any surprises at cooking time.

Back