THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
I normally cook around 275°, but I want to do something traditional. I'm looking to cook between 235 and 250°. my guest won't be arriving until 5:00 tomorrow. What time should I start these pieces of pork? I have one 8 lb butt and one 7 lb picnic. This will be going on a wsm-22 I'm also debating whether or not I'm going to use my heat diffuser plate or the water pan with water.

Also remember that you can allow plenty of extra time. That pork can be held for quite a while so there's no reason to cut it close.

Mod Note:

What the fark is wrong with you people??? Keep the politics out of ANY part of this forum except the news and Politics section. Period!

AND, stop the personal attacks!

Finally, if you see something that you feel violates our rules, REPORT IT!!! Let us do our jobs! Don’t add more work for us by responding and contributing to the mess!

Getting back to the original question, I’d recommend starting at,least an hour before you need to. The meat benefits from a rest period. Looks like you live in the Atlanta area, I’d have the fire going and meat ready to put on right now.

Also remember that you can allow plenty of extra time. That pork can be held for quite a while so there's no reason to cut it close.

+1! Pulled pork can be held for a long time. In addition some people actually like it better the next day, kind of like spaghetti sauce. You may want to get it done today so you can relax and socialize when your high ranking friends show up tomorrow. Getting it done early will also give you time to recover if things don’t go as planned.

I would start at 7 just to be sure. Low and slow @ 225. I would definitely use the water pan. Good luck.

For pork, start at least two hours before the longest likely cook time. You can add fuel, heat, wood or meat. You cannot add time if you have a fixed serve time and wondering if it will get done in time does not make for a relaxing cook.

Mod Note:

ENOUGH PERSONAL ATTACKS! Why is this so hard for some of you to understand! Report the post, let us deal with it, and DON’T FARKING ADD FUEL TO THE FIRE!

This is two warnings in this thread this morning!

I am going to scrub it to get it back on topic.

I’d give myself 10-12 hours total time at lower temps. Butts usually take me 8 hrs cook time and I’m usually 220-240.

You aren't really cooking it much off your "normal" temps. I'd do the 275 that you are used to- let it finish early and let it have an extended rest. I'd leave it whole and pull (or chop) slightly in advance of your get together.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Back