THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have never cooked them fall off the bone.... This is how I pick mine up, $2.00 tongs...

picture.php
[/IMG]

Thanks,
Greg

I’ve been using the 3-2-1 method the last few cooks and that last 30 minutes to an hour is tough to move them around is why I was asking I’m not to picky about how a perfect bite or fall off the bone I like them either way

I'm surprised nobody here has said it...if they fall apart when picked up, they're way over done.

EDIT...didn't see the above responses.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody here has said it...if they fall apart when picked up, they're way over done.
Yes. I have found the 3-2-1 method, used with a Traeger or Camp Chef pellet pooper, to be particularly effective at achieving mushy, fall-apart ribs. Five hour total at 225deg is as long as I've ever had to go to get the "clean bite"stage. As a certified judge I am not fond of most competition ribs but KCBS does get the done-ness criterion right.

As I said, I use two spatula/pancake turners. This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NHMQ0PW but it probably depends on the cooker. In mine, the racks are parallel to the front and there is no easy way to insert a long spatula from the end, though that would be nice. I just slide the two spatulas under the rack, each one out towards the end. The center, maybe two or three ribs, is unsupported but that has not been a problem.

Nobody in my house likes them cooked that far done. Gotta leave a bite mark but pull clean on the bone.
Sometimes the wife wants rib meat sandwiches and I'll overcook them for that. Then there's the occasional misfired cook...

Last edited:
Back