THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Those rigs look nice, but I kinda favor a Gator if I had the money to buy anything I wanted. I love offset stick burners and cooking over an open fire in cast iron. Klose are quality too. I am getting my Lyfe Tyme tomorrow... woo hooo. I don't think I'm settling necessarily, except for the bells and whistles. I can cook on plain jane no problem and it is definitely a step up from my lil New Braunsfel (sp?).

But I do agree that it is the cook not the cooker, I can put good (great if you believe those offering comments) food out on anything you give me to cook on (with a little practice). MHO

Nitrofly said:
I wrote to Spicewine before I bought my Backwoods Competitor asking
why I should buy a Spicewine instead of a Backwoods and never heard
word one back.. So I bought the Backwoods..

Sorry Bro!! I never got your message:sad: :sad:

The rolling eyes are for Jeff. :p

Mine would probably be a Greer Pit...or a customer Klose..but both are too much money for me.

For the money I would like a slightly used double Spicewine on a large trailer.

MoKanMeathead said:
The rolling eyes are for Jeff. :p

Mine would probably be a Greer Pit...or a customer Klose..but both are too much money for me.

For the money I would like a slightly used double Spicewine on a large trailer.

:lol: Gee thanks! :wink: I didn't set that up just for this thread. We did it last weekend for Jay to use and I thought what the hell? You know, there's been a lot of discussion here about how it's the cook, not the cooker but I'm not quite ready to give ourselves that much credit just yet so I'm still saying it's the cooker! :wink: :p

Jeff_in_KC said:
Backwoods are just a knock-off Spicewine IMHO! :lol:

Nitro, I can vouche for the Spicewine cookers, as can any number of us around here who compete and win with them.

Below is our smoker and the 2006 results. To me, THAT is PROVEN. Period!

Well Ribbons are nice but trophys........I like my Backwoods and I don't believe it's a knockoff of anything. I could be wrong though.
June_2005_Team_Awards_2.jpg

Jorge said:
How about the Caldera?
That works pretty good too ;) as does the FE. But i mostly use my Backwoods. The Caldera might see more action this summer though. I'm thinking If I travel light I can travel longer distances. Me, a cooler, a table, an ez up, a chair and my Caldera. Could be fun.

YankeeBBQ said:
Well Ribbons are nice but trophys........I like my Backwoods and I don't believe it's a knockoff of anything. I could be wrong though.
June_2005_Team_Awards_2.jpg

You might want to change your team name to...

HEAVY METAL

YankeeBBQ said:
I'm thinking If I travel light I can travel longer distances. Me, a cooler, a table, an ez up, a chair and my Caldera. Could be fun.

That sounds like a good line-up for the NH contest in January. Congratulations on all your success Steve.

LostNation said:
That sounds like a good line-up for the NH contest in January. Congratulations on all your success Steve.

Are you going to join us Rich or will you be snowed in ? You won't even need your freezer to make a clonecicle just leave the bottle on your porch.

YankeeBBQ said:
Are you going to join us Rich or will you be snowed in ? You won't even need your freezer to make a clonecicle just leave the bottle on your porch.

Steve I'll probably come down buy not to cook on my own. A Lang doesn't work in the northern winter. Do you know anyone who needs a tall, full-figured, good looking and modest dish washer who's not afraid of the cold?

LostNation said:
Steve I'll probably come down buy not to cook on my own. A Lang doesn't work in the northern winter. Do you know anyone who needs a tall, full-figured, good looking and modest dish washer who's not afraid of the cold?

That depends. Can he cook chicken ?

Since were not talking realiy a Spice or similar pit that could burn one log for 12 hrs. What do you thing Jay, possible? I could cook all year on $30 in fuel. But honestly I would have a cooker for each meat that holds great temp. So a spice, stumps, FEC100, BGE etc. would be my choice.

Jay builds a beautiful cooker. Seeing it in action in Columbia, I was sold on it being a quality cooker. I'm a stick burner, but.....I've gone to Jay's page more than once and given it some thought.

I don't know Jay that well, but I know him well enough to know that he takes pride in his work, and that he is a man of his word. I've yet to hear bitch #1 from anybody that has ever purchased one of his cookers. Those factors carry a lot of weight when it comes time to stroke the check.

I'm going to let Jay have a nice week off for his birthday next week, happy birthday Jay, then drop by with some plans for a cooker that could be a protoype for a double insulated offset firebox Spicewine cooker.....charcoal or sticks...could be an interesting concept, or may not be possible at all....time and deep thought will tell....

looking foor a spicewine

is there a spicewine owner in virginia that i can take a look at their cooker?

Last edited:
Back