What kind of rotisserie do I need for this?

Nohippychicks

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Dave B
BLUF: What do I need to spin 30 or 40 lbs of meat over coals?

Not long ago, I discovered lechon style roast pork and decided it was the best pork I've ever had. I made it a mission to discover how it's done. Looking online gave results, but it was clear they were missing something. I still have not found a proper recipe that covers the technique yet.

I decided to try to learn for myself and asked the chef at the local place, who only cooks it on Sunday, if I could watch over his shoulder to learn from him.

He surprised me when he said "Yes," so I was up at his place at 4AM yesterday.

I learned a TON, including that I can make a mini-me version of the dish with pork belly instead of a whole pig like we did this weekend. While belly will be my first try at "Lechon," I am certain I'll want to move up the ladder at some point and do an entire pig, so I'm learning about equipment options.

Really the only equipment I'd need is the rotisserie, I think I have everything else. But what kind can stand up to that?

The home gamer units look like they'd suffer under the weight of a chicken, and the restaurant supply store I went to today didn't carry them. Prices are all over the place as well.

That being said, I'm completely lost when it comes to this sort of equipment. I don't know what brands are bad, OK or good. IF I wind up going with a commercial unit, I have NO idea what a price range would be. Are there different options that are useful or useless? Some have a speed control, is that worth considering, or is that just an upsell? Is there anything else I should be asking myself or a vendor about the motor, spit or what have you?

Anyhow, here's a picture of the pig we did yesterday!

v1e-IIqdsioA5UCeublHAHiB6-Oac41zG1dpk0Uq_CYF6xCKyHIDCXFij_EThVEyiHHpcnuVsm-9m0ckXR7B_N5XHZe5L5qSM4jKIT2VK9RJms9AOvWVhnMInPqAI5iio4LFxrVGEqyFhRLXp5hMDgUgDsU_9tVZnAE88_Pm7CCyuwAp2ZWoG4xxKkZSATdGnpER0-QkJwGhlTMREsxsHdbnLeHvrNNqHJ3rjyLK2ZBV2e86132-pMzj647gBiIxo3GIwvaK2n6zi1JQIwR1GLiMNUb6O0FrX3ys4HtyAfiBW06mPCS9TLBoeZWw16_IXn7IT5K9Nzz74w0lB2kS-PZBqsDX-OUHbTayJ7GFSadDnS_QzT0K9Y0hYC-xZrYYTRy-OrZ_4wwDFT-n6Ne_51BsigmPsCJjL9G7Qw0dy-h4MDDFY-giifWCKpcmCLDo9yDDRT29gYsdfhKs6aQwoVYGgrbofYlPG9SVygW1B32YArQIWY0tQVIBQwvkMAoeo2zWf8wKqVh3nOqMKyTEC0hFU9w7a_rGIgJBaKJE-o6P1u4hImrfgM60n5p-NvtkN-a5yE2AgLM3f1HUQDAIZ3-6MD03IMmeukGHHfnbPGt9BCnO4hto9elHbXg5e-Jvi48tcfc0IfURzX5p9lJnf8M=s632-no

c-ufnmGDdWnOUNwXiyLd9h59OUIGaafCr8qTDUvPdIv9QI0H23w877BnCtMKRWBBjBjBs3BjlkWimUT8StWGB3HnR42RTAHc2UENDZLYQShLkoh5c-usPQHN9pYambsu_r3eoDrf7VXPAPSWh8I-hjZShYsH46DO9ZmSonN-asp7qM3EhmckWkqytNOiaMYomJ2SoCaMKFkiS8JfsKuDAUW69mGTbKRzjIXm9x_1_LCrdJyL7Ir8Mt24z4VJT3R28IToNd6l8ABTIWyOe02_L-q1pLrNxM73SF7npshWuciZwhBG69dwTFzeRQ_dm5FidB-j2qVHEET4XK3zHee2H9WZ-YxgeR_gt1IUOPOrLU7V-3oayqAvr-rjuyoKuT38GSTlelIFfyjq6XbfFioeRC7ldOVUeX1fgPW6lFvEw7Giz286BalVPIUR1ydzitqRzRMlWaE2zaqmY_vNtt3Nd5nhZg_TelqOS7l4oPDymmJyEFK44AVpEA0rQ1qX5EM7j9qmP1gl0EIwG_DHq_ppJmwq89a8LGJtRdAV_Q3hTdb2eqmPkzbEBtB644DrBhzULEmGlqjDAveFL2V37plhjnaTvHapUogQrqBqddp89eYw4CVt9m3mItq14ZNPXUaW5fLvh8EMClYC5nB7s80B4rU=s632-no

Last edited:
His rig looks to be homemade, all you would need is a motor and a gear reduction unit of some sort and maybe a further chain drive reduction and a rod, as simple as that.

Alright, these are the replies I was hoping for. These links all look like great quality stuff, and I really feel like quality is needed here, but if cheaping out is OK, let me know that too.

As an aside, can anyone see the photo in post #1? It was there and now I can't see it. I know others could see it at one point, as

Alright, these are the replies I was hoping for. These links all look like great quality stuff, and I really feel like quality is needed here, but if cheaping out is OK, let me know that too.

As an aside, can anyone see the photo in post #1? It was there and now I can't see it. I know others could see it at one point, as

Photo isn't showing up for me. As to whether you could cheap out or not, it really depends on what equipment you already have. For example, at Onegrill, an entire kit would be $200+, but that's for everything you'd need to cook above a bunch of coals laying on the ground. Tripods, poles, spit rod, motor, forks, etc.

If you had something that the spit rod could be placed on, the costs go down dramatically. For that weight, you'd just need a heavy duty motor rated to 50lbs or so, a 5/8" Hexagon spit rod to whatever length you want, some forks and perhaps a couple of bushings to aid in rotation.

According to the descriptions, the following would work:

Motor:
https://www.onegrill.com/Stainless_Electric_Grill_Rotisserie_Spit_Rod_Motor_p/4pm05.htm
Reg. Price: $89.99
BIG HOLIDAY SALE: $44.99

Spit Rod
OneGrill 45" X 5/8" Hexagon Stainless Steel Grill Rotisserie Spit Rod With 5/16" Square Drive
https://www.onegrill.com/45_X_5_8_Hexagon_Grill_Rotisserie_Spit_Rod_p/4ps216.htm
Reg. Price: $54.99
BIG HOLIDAY SALE: $49.99

Spit Forks
OneGrill Stainless Steel Grill Rotisserie Spit Rod Forks (Fits: 5/8" Hexagon, 1/2" Square, & 11/16" Round)
https://www.onegrill.com/Stainless_Rotisserie_Spit_Fork_Heavy_Duty_Pair_p/4pf304.htm
Reg. Price: $44.99
BIG HOLIDAY SALE: $29.99

Comes to $125 without bushings.

Last edited:
Back