What kind of clock do you use at comps?

La Crosse ATOMIC time clock hangs in the trailer next to my prep table. I use my cell phone to set the "check back in 20 mins" alarms, as well as the 3:30am alarm to get up and start cookin'.

A watch. I never have to look at one specific place that a clock would sit to see the time or pull out a phone with dirty hands. But my girlfriend did just get me an atomic clock that we will bring now too.

I use a Westclox atomic clock model number 70028 available from wally world for less than 30 bucks. Bought it 2 years ago and have not replaced or removed the batteries as of yet. May change them out this year as it also has alarm functions whcih are nice. Set it on the prep table where we build boxes and don't have to wonder? If it is not in sync with the reps clock, then check your cell phone and question the one that is wrong. your's or the rep's.

I use a Westclox atomic clock model number 70028 available from wally world for less than 30 bucks. Bought it 2 years ago and have not replaced or removed the batteries as of yet. May change them out this year as it also has alarm functions whcih are nice. Set it on the prep table where we build boxes and don't have to wonder? If it is not in sync with the reps clock, then check your cell phone and question the one that is wrong. your's or the rep's.

Um, the reps clock is never wrong...
Ed

Is this the same contest that had turn in boxes with partitions in them?

If you are in a NC BBQ Society event you can just use a sundial. We did an event last year where the organizer (head of NCBS) went and bought a clock at walmart the night before.

He didn't spare any expense. He bought one that not only had an hours hand but it also had a minutes hand and a seconds hand!

+1 for the Target Atomic Clock. I keep and use my watch and cellphone, but nothing beats being able to look across the site and seeing the big numbers clearly. When Dave and I compete, we actually have two out... One in prep, and the other with the cookers. Also, it is kinda cool to see that your clock matches the Rep's clock when they do the Saturday morning walk around. :)

I was able to pick mine up for $6.99 clearance at Target, so just keep a eye on the sales.

No I wasn't there. I heard about it from some very upset cooks. I can't imagine how you would prepare your boxes like that. I can't really say I'm surprised because it was the NC Barbecue Society. I used to be a member but did not have a very positive experience with them.

Sure was. Were you there? Are you planing on entering this year? I would love hear your thoughts.

Time...

clock_zps9005940b.jpg

Dang...Does that mean we MISSED the turn-ins!??:roll:

No I wasn't there. I heard about it from some very upset cooks. I can't imagine how you would prepare your boxes like that. I can't really say I'm surprised because it was the NC Barbecue Society. I used to be a member but did not have a very positive experience with them.

We were just told not to worry about appearance. That they the staff puts out the food for the judges.

El cheapo Timex battery powered alarm clock, sourced from Goodwill for $1. 1" numbers and reverse LCD, so it is easy to see from just about anywhere. I also remove batteries after comps, then sync with reps' clock on Saturday morning.

Back