THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's unfortunate. The pic of the back half you showed them definetly has a full size door on it.

May i ask why you wanted it built that way, all enclosed that is?

A number of reasons. Weather, city ordinance for street vending, security, appearance. After arguing back and forth about it not being right, the is one of the last emails I sent him:

"Skip, can you see the lettering at the bottom of this pic. I printed this when we spec-ed out the trailer. It is dated7/2/2013. That is the day before I signed the spec sheet/CAD drawing. This is what you said the back half would be, and this is what I expected. Now, is SLE going to pay for the material. I am agreeing to pay for the labor because I need it done ASAP. The repair will cost a lot more than the material. I am losing money everyday this unit is not on the road making money. I bought from SLE because I was referred to your company by people on the internet BBQ society's that have bought trailers from you. They said y'all were a good company to do business with and treated your customers right. I hope to be able to tell everyone the same."

Carl Smith / Runaway Bay, TX

It made no difference to him. He ignored the pic, and would not comment on it.

Last edited:
This is a very unfortunate situation. And I definitely understand your anger.

From a legal aspect you "may" have a case. However, when you go into court your chances are basically 50/50. I personally don't like those odds.

I see two options here.

1) Sue for damages and take your chances with a judge/jury. But be prepared to accept a possible loss. You are now out legal costs as well.

2) Learn from this experience and use that knowledge to protect yourself in the future. (imho this is the less expensive option)

Personally I would take option #2. I would see a legal case just eating further into my profits.

You can make up the "repairs" costs by selling Great Q!!

Just curious, what will the "fix" cost??

This is a very unfortunate situation. And I definitely understand your anger.

From a legal aspect you "may" have a case. However, when you go into court your chances are basically 50/50. I personally don't like those odds.

I see two options here.

1) Sue for damages and take your chances with a judge/jury. But be prepared to accept a possible loss. You are now out legal costs as well.

2) Learn from this experience and use that knowledge to protect yourself in the future. (imho this is the less expensive option)

Personally I would take option #2. I would see a legal case just eating further into my profits.

You can make up the "repairs" costs by selling Great Q!!

Just curious, what will the "fix" cost??

Have not got a quote yet. But it will not be cheap. I have ordered the door from the factory. I want them to cut the flip up door to size and use the aft trim, so I will not have to pay for material for the flip up, just the labor.

Do you see anything on this drawing that would denote a half door instead of a full door?

Yes I do. Its right under the 36" access door. 42" rear entry door. The drawings show a door and a window on that side of the trailer as well as the 36" step.

42" is 3 1/2'. Which is what that door seems to be.

I think if I was a jury member, the big question would be why you accepted it? Were you given opportunities to see it during construction? Did they have all your money at that point? What is the builder saying to you?

You hope you are dealing with someone who will do the right thing without it getting to that point, because no one wins when these things go to court.[/QUOT

Had I not accepted it, they would have kept my $4000.00 deposit. The dealer, not the builder, said it is my problem. I told them I would pay for the repair, if they would pay for the door. They said no. So I am buying the full door and materials to repair it through Freedom Trailers, the manufacture of the trailer, and having it repaired the way it was supposed to be built.

It sucks, but at least you are getting it the way you wanted and can move on with selling.

Unless I was up against another deadline and needed the trailer for an event, I would not have accepted the trailer. They can't simply take your deposit when there is a dispute ongoing. By not accepting it, you maintain more leverage.

Anyway, what is done is done. Best of luck and I hope it makes you a thousand times what you paid for it!

It sucks, but at least you are getting it the way you wanted and can move on with selling.

Unless I was up against another deadline and needed the trailer for an event, I would not have accepted the trailer. They can't simply take your deposit when there is a dispute ongoing. By not accepting it, you maintain more leverage.

Anyway, what is done is done. Best of luck and I hope it makes you a thousand times what you paid for it!

They can keep you deposit, and they do. The only way to get it back is to take them to court or accept the trailer like it is. And going to court can drag on for years. Once they get your money, you are theirs and they know it. They call it "No deposit, no return" If the salesman can not get your deposit up front, it is not considered a deal. The customer can walk away and you have no hold on them.I sold RV travel trailers, 5th wheels, motor homes, and manufactured housing for ten years. I worked for some good dealers, and some bad ones. The bad ones are more common than the good. Thanks for the good wishes, and I will settle for paying the bills.

Last edited:
Yes I do. Its right under the 36" access door. 42" rear entry door. The drawings show a door and a window on that side of the trailer as well as the 36" step.

42" is 3 1/2'. Which is what that door seems to be.

42" denotes the the rear entry door into front half. I wanted it extra large so I can get my double door refer in with no problem, and easy for two people to pass thru at the same time, as the door will remain open most of the time. Like your avatar.

Last edited:
But the blue, which would indicate the flip up top half, goes all the way across. There is nothing denoting where the window should stop. Which would have to be 3-4" away from the door at least, so the door would have support.

Yeah, I know nothing about CAD drawings. I was going off the pic of the yellow trailer he told me it would be built like. The fire department did not catch it either. They approved the floor plan. I can not believe you can build a fully enclosed trailer with out a full door to exit. The salesman told me the trailer would be 29' to 30' ft. long. Its 27' ft long. He said it would weigh 4800 hundred lbs. The title says it weighs 3800lbs.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The good news is, you already had your pits so you can get smoking!

I've had my trailer for 2 months and my pits are due "any day".

we've had to improvise on ugly drums and the Jambo, which is turning out to be not near enough capacity.

Did I mention I have full doors? :tape:

Good luck to you out there, if we can help here down south, let me know.

Yeah, I know nothing about CAD drawings. I was going off the pic of the yellow trailer he told me it would be built like. The fire department did not catch it either. They approved the floor plan. I can not believe you can build a fully enclosed trailer with out a full door to exit. The salesman told me the trailer would be 29' to 30' ft. long. Its 27' ft long. He said it would weigh 4800 hundred lbs. The title says it weighs 3800lbs.

but with nothing in writing you have nothing to stand on

"he told me" "he said" means nothing in a court of law

They can keep you deposit, and they do. The only way to get it back is to take them to court or accept the trailer like it is. And going to court can drag on for years. Once they get your money, you are theirs and they know it. They call it "No deposit, no return" If the salesman can not get your deposit up front, it is not considered a deal. The customer can walk away and you have no hold on them.I sold RV travel trailers, 5th wheels, motor homes, and manufactured housing for ten years. I worked for some good dealers, and some bad ones. The bad ones are more common than the good. Thanks for the good wishes, and I will settle for paying the bills.

I am no expert in much of anything. If it were my trailer I would write them a personal check and take delivery. I would call my bank and put a stop on the check within minutes of writing it. That will get you into court in a very very short time, trust me. I am sorry for your troubles with this company.
Good Luck!!!

I am no expert in much of anything. If it were my trailer I would write them a personal check and take delivery. I would call my bank and put a stop on the check within minutes of writing it. That will get you into court in a very very short time, trust me. I am sorry for your troubles with this company.
Good Luck!!!

I think that could be considered theft. You might end up in court but it might not be the court you want to be in. :shock:

I have a question.

Would the current configuration be considered a common configuration or one that someone might actually request?

In other words is it reasonable for the builder to think this was an acceptable design based on prior builds or common standards?

If so I think it might be a tough case to win.

I have a question.

Would the current configuration be considered a common configuration or one that someone might actually request?

In other words is it reasonable for the builder to think this was an acceptable design based on prior builds or common standards?

If so I think it might be a tough case to win.

In answer to your question. The salesman told me when I confronted him about it being wrong. His answer was " this is the way we build all of them ". I looked at every trailer they had online and could not see a trailer that had a fully enclosed design without a full entry door into the trailer.. No fire department would ever approve an enclosed trailer without a full entry/exit door.

Back