What is Judging coming to? Lenexa BBQ

This may be a sporadic rant but I have a few thought going threw my mind. This is a rare occasion, so I guess I need to get them out.

Thanks Merl. I agree with your input, as I said I decided not to due this contest (Lenexa BBQ) anymore, for several reasons, one being the judging. It was very inconsistent and I walked both years I was there. I just saw judging all over the place.

Here is something that the board should consider.

If we have to be KCBS members, according to some contest and some talk, or get charged a higher fee, then maybe we should be told that judge are people that donate money for the "cause", or that there will be ex: approx 25% CBJ's. I'm all for help charity events, its great, but when we (teams) are shelling out buck for comp, we should have a little expectation. I know that is easier said than done, but it just thoughts.

This may be a sporadic rant but I have a few thought going threw my mind. This is a rare occasion, so I guess I need to get them out.

Thanks Merl. I agree with your input, as I said I decided not to due this contest (Lenexa BBQ) anymore, for several reasons, one being the judging. It was very inconsistent and I walked both years I was there. I just saw judging all over the place.

If we have to be KCBS members, according to some contest and some talk, or get charged a higher fee, then maybe we should be told that judge are people that donate money for the "cause", or that there will be ex: approx 25% CBJ's. I'm all for help charity events, its great, but when we (teams) are shelling out buck for comp, we should have a little expectation. I know that is easier said than done, but it just thoughts.

Well said that is my feelings exactly!

KCBS has resisted the urge to require all judges to be CBJ's. It has even resisted having a percentage of CBJ's. There are contest where no CBJ's are allowed to judge.

Many contest have asked for donations to judge. Many give priority to members of the booster club or foundation. KCBS does not make rules, recognizing these contest are raising money for worthy causes.

Saying that, we do not mean to say we don't have an interest. Last year we proposed to put the percentage of CBJ's from last year to be posted on the KCBS contest calendar. We now track these numbers and will be part of our web site. You can decide to go to contest with CBJ's or no CBJ's. Its your choice.

Why did we do this. I believe the market place will drive the contest. When contestants make the choice to attend contest with 100% CBJ's, then the message will be sent.

So in reality you have the power to send the message. If you do not approve of certain practices at contest, then don't go. When you see a contest that is run in the manner you believe is best, not only should you support this contest, but encourage your friends to do so as well.

It is time for each of us to speak out though our actions. The fight for contestants can only become more difficult in the next years. Let the organizer understand what you choose to support.

In that way, you have the voice, you can make change.

Sorry for the rant.
Yours in Q
Merl

Merl thanks for your insight and your work with the KCBS.

The higher fee issue is no longer supported, or at least pushed by KCBS. They put it out there and found a lot of negative feedback concerning it. They did not totaly retract it, but are allowing organizers to do so if they want. Just like not doing contests with 100% CBJ's you can choose not to do contests that require KCBS membership, and tell the organizer you are not doing their contest for that reason.
I would like to see a listing of CBJ numbers of those judging at each contest. Actually I would like to see the CBJ numbers of those that judged each box. We have a few Rogue judges that think it is fine and dandy to constantly give 4 and 5 and table captains that let them. They know who we are, we should at leat know the numbers of those judging us.
Seat sales and celebrity judges are foine if you do not care about your cooks. Just my 2 cents.

Basically if this contest wants to do this then it is none of KCBS's business. If someone doesnt want to go because someone at this contest is trying to raise money for special olympics then go somewhere else. I am sure that there is another contest that weekend.

If KCBS thinks that they can require a certain percentage of CBJ's I think that they are wasting their time. 1 they have basically no way of managing that process, especially after the disaster that was the "non-kcbs charge" idea. 2 most contests dont advertise the number of certified judges before a contest anyway so teams arent making their decisions based on the number of CBJ's anyway....but this is the internet so I am sure that someone will post that they make all their comp choices based on the number of CBJs at an event.

This is such a non-issue to be complained about on so many boards. Folks always come out of the woodwork to pile on though.

This is such a non-issue to be complained about on so many boards. Folks always come out of the woodwork to pile on though.

With all do respect I do beleive it is an issue. For one I am not convinced that this is a Special Olympics team we are talking about. I am almost certain this is a competitve softball team that travels to tournaments and needs $$$ to support there trips. That is the issue I have with it. Don't use our contests and "raffle off" judges seats in order to gain a buck. We spend alot of money on this "hobby" and I think it is not to hard to keep this from happening.

Last edited:
With all do respect I do beleive it is an issue. For one I am not convinced that this is a Special Olympics team we are talking about. I am almost certain this is a competitve softball team that travels to tournaments and needs $$$ to support there trips. That is the issue I have with it. Don't use our contests and "raffle off" judges seats in order to gain a buck. We spend alot of money on this "hobby" and I think it is not to hard to keep this from happening.

I would imagine that most contest use those judges seats as a way to reward sponsors and civic leaders. Hell the Jack uses strictly celeb judges...So it isnt an issue with using non certified judges...They said that the judges would have to take some sort of clinic. Seems fine to me. I dont know why anyone thinks that taking a class makes someone an expert on judging bbq. No one has ever not become certified after the class and we know that people walk out of that class not understand the rules...Being a CBJ doesnt make you any more of an expert on what good bbq is than someone who paid several $100 to charity and takes a judging clinic..

I dont know anything about this team other than someone said that they raise money for the special olympics...I dont like that it was advertised as all you can eat BBQ, but that is what most folks think when they think BBQ contest anyway.

. I am almost certain this is a competitve softball team that travels to tournaments and needs $$$ to support there trips.

FYI I emailed the Parks and Rec person for Olathe Special Olympics and there is no affiliation. Like many of the other posters indicated probably standard practice but there is no warm and fuzzy story behind this one.

The higher fee issue is no longer supported, or at least pushed by KCBS. They put it out there and found a lot of negative feedback concerning it. They did not totaly retract it, but are allowing organizers to do so if they want. Just like not doing contests with 100% CBJ's you can choose not to do contests that require KCBS membership, and tell the organizer you are not doing their contest for that reason.
I would like to see a listing of CBJ numbers of those judging at each contest. Actually I would like to see the CBJ numbers of those that judged each box. We have a few Rogue judges that think it is fine and dandy to constantly give 4 and 5 and table captains that let them. They know who we are, we should at leat know the numbers of those judging us.
Seat sales and celebrity judges are foine if you do not care about your cooks. Just my 2 cents.

Good thoughts Roo. I too wonder it unusually low scores are from CBJ's or compeditors that say I can do better that that.

My idea was mearly a thought and as most thoughts go, I never think it will be a reality. I just through it out there. Didnt want to get everyone panties in a bunch.

PS The ad only really bothers me because of the disregaurd for my sport for theirs.

Valid point. Maybe we can pay to ump their league/sectional/district/state/regional/national tournaments.

Back