What’s your minimum definition for barbecue?

When I was young, if it was cooked over charcoal outside on something that looked like a Weber, it was called BBQ'ing. I'm happy to have had further education on the subject, although for the time it was usually pretty good eatin'

Our local flunky sports station was ranting about this, and how regional the definition is....their stance was, anything off the grill is BBQ.

Not sure where my line is....but I've never considered dogs, brats, or burgers BBQ.
I've heard the phrase "we're having a BBQ" when it's really just a beer party.

At least we're not debating the spelling of barbeque.

Michael Symon explained it pretty well on his show one afternoon. His take is the BBQ is a method of cooking, not the name of a food. He defined it as cooking over live coals, and was emphatic that sauce does not make something a BBQ. As I recall, he referred to gassers & electrics as grilling rather than BBQ. I believe that the term BBQ actually is the Americanization of term Barbacoa.

I’m with Pitbossjb in that anything cooked outside over charcoal be deemed BBQ. As a kid, our next door neighbor used to make grills out of beer kegs with rotisseries and mounted on grocery cart frames. He sold them on the side but Dad used a cast iron hibachi with a stainless grate for hamburgers, kebabs and top sirloin steaks that were cross hatched, doused in Worcestershire, grilled then slathered with Kraft! After the sirloin was all sliced up and served up, he got the steak juice and lambasted his baked potato. So to me, anything that’s got that smell I remember from those days is BBQ!

That is a very loaded question BUT I dont really consider there to be a minimum. I guess some hotdogs or sausages with some beans would be the very least we have done at home to call BBQ. But I know plenty of people who mean dogs and burgers when they say BBQ and over-the-top Q would be chicken.

To me it is simply anything cooked on a barbecue.
Coal, wood, doesn't matter
Fast, slow, doesn't matter
As long as it tastes good.

But heck, what do I know? I'm just a northern European living in Africa :p

To me it is simply anything cooked on a barbecue.
Coal, wood, doesn't matter
Fast, slow, doesn't matter
As long as it tastes good.

But heck, what do I know? I'm just a northern European living in Africa :p

Guess you should know then, thats a lot of heritage your carrying. :thumb:
Meant in the best possible way:tongue:

To me BBQ is low and slow with wood smoke. Chunks, chips, or pellets... as long as wood smoke is involved.

Grilling is hot and fast, directly over heat.

BTW, you guys keep saying “In the South, BBQ is just pulled pork”. I live in Valdosta GA, and guys around here do ribs and brisket all the time.

Even the two or three sorry excuses for BBQ joints serve ribs and brisket.

Now, to be sure, there’s no shortage of pulled pork.

Just remember, if you boil ribs, the terrorists win!

VR
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To me barbecue is a verb, how something is cooked not what is cooked. I go back to Mr. Alton Brown’s definition, anything that is cooked using smoke is barbecue.

Call me odd, but nothing says BBQ better than spatchcocked cuy cooked over lump. :hungry:

9487520_orig.jpg

When I started this thread, it was more of what is your expectations when someone serves you barbecue. Growing up in my house it was sliced short ribs on the grill or char siu. It didn’t change until I hit college and was free to travel to other states.

I posted this in another thread, but it belongs here just as well. And maybe someone can answer my question.

I'm just happy that I've finally found the correct forum to respond to Facebook threads. I ran into this Facebook recipe for crockpot ribs.

https://www.facebook.com/TheStayAtHo...PAGES_TIMELINE

It's got a lot of likes. Has anyone tried it here? I'm wondering about adding some sriracha to the sauce, but wondered how much liquid smoke I need to add to retain the flavor balance. Anyone?

I posted this in another thread, but it belongs here just as well. And maybe someone can answer my question.

I'll take a stab at answering your question... I've experimented with sriracha and liquid smoke together, and found equal parts of each, with a 1/8 tsp of thorium added right at the end make for the perfect flavor profile! :nod:

Back