What’s the point of a pellet smoker

Seems like a big push for pellets smokers lately.
I'll stick with my offset, it gives me room to spread out.
Bottom line is cook on whatever makes you happy.

So there is no question that a stick burner provides superior flavor to pretty much any other cooker as you see arguments around "convenience" and "a different smoke flavor." Never addressing the simple quality of the smoke.

How do charcoal-fed smokers, like a kamando, PBC, and gravity fed units flavor compare to a pellet cooker? I have a stick burner and a BGE and very much prefer the flavor off the stick burner over the BGE. I keep the BGE for convenience, pizza and burgers.

Chris

I've used a heating element with a pie pan of wood pieces in it to smoke food and it works, but the smoke flavor was stronger than what I prefer. Now I use my YS640 and love that it's smoke isn't as intense as that electric or the stick burners I've used in the past. the smoke levels are consistent through the entire smoke. And if you don't think pellet poopers can produce a smoke ring, check out this thread.

So there is no question that a stick burner provides superior flavor to pretty much any other cooker as you see arguments around "convenience" and "a different smoke flavor." Never addressing the simple quality of the smoke.

Thats debatable. I have a UDS with lump charcoal and wood chunks for flavor and I prefer it to what I got from the stick burner.

YMMV

1) Set it and forget it (PID controllers etc)
2) Consistency (no wondering how your splits or lump is going to burn)
3) Convenience (add some pellets to the hopper and flip a switch)
4) Subtle yet very present smoke flavor (real wood is burning)
5) Easy clean-up (no charcoal or wood ash to speak of. Use a shop vac now and again to vac out the firebox)
6) Versatility (buy the right pellet cooker and cook at 600+ degrees direct heat or smoke at 225* for hours)

^^^^^ These were my reasons.

I've been smoking with stickburners for 30+ years, but the smokiness of my Mak 1-star is more than enough and I've had no need for smoke tubes, etc. In fact, in some respects I almost prefer the pellet smokiness; it's cleaner in flavour somehow. My wife and kids certainly prefer it.

I'd say you get 85-90% of the smokiness of a stickburner, but it comes up to 225 in 5 min and will smoke untended all night long, shifting from temp-to-temp automatically per my program, until I wake up and get out there the next morning.

I am not sure that I see any convenience gainded over my WSM, now that I added a Guru to it.

I also have a WSM(a 22). When it was raining like crazy last week I ran out into the rain and under my "bbq gazebo" where all my goodies reside. I passed up the blackstone and the WSM to push the buttons on my MAK to get me the 325 I wanted for what we wanted for breakfast and ran back inside. Total time.....30-40 seconds from idea to fruition. That's not happening with my WSM.

Not being a turd. Just trying to explain one of the differences in convenience.

I am not sure that I see any convenience gainded over my WSM, now that I added a Guru to it.

I’ve never used a charcoal smoker, but from what I’ve read on this site I would agree, except perhaps that 1- the pellet smoker comes up to temp in 5 min or so, and 2- it will change temp’s automatically according to how I program it. So, for example, if I think it will take until 8 am to smoke a brisket, I nonetheless program it so that if the meat IT, using the probe, hits the number I expect, say 203 for a butt, the smoker will lower temp to 200 or 180 until I get out there to stop it. That way, if it finishes early at 6 am, no problem.

My only other question re convenience would be, are you willing to go to bed all night with the lit charcoal in your smoker? I don’t know whether charcoal smokers are set up to permit that or not? My Mak certainly is.

Own two pellet smokers. ease of use so I use it much more often than a kamado or charcoal smoker. Makes great food, wifi control is fantastc. Can monitor my food from anywhere I have a cell signal and make adjustments. You can taste the meat not just the smoke.

But the cons are something to consider as much as the pros. ANd it has nothing to do with the intensity of the smoke flavor.

needs electricity to operate
auger jams
parts failure. Too many moving parts, computers, augers, fans, probes, etc.

finding pellets locally that are of good quality and price are a challenge. Buy a pallet and splitting is ideal.

Back