THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

akochman

Found some matches.
Hello everyone! I have a whole pork belly, 15lbs-ish, in Pops wet brine. I have read many, many posts leading up to my first attempt. I have had the belly in for 7 days now and I don't feel it is firming up as described. Is that an issue?!

I was planning on pulling it, leaving it in the fridge as recommended, and smoking it on day 11. Now I might have to go on a biz trip for a week. My wife is unable to help too. What should I do?! Freeze it and re-brine? Leave it in the brine? It is in the fridge but I am worried my investment will be lost.

Thanks all,
Akochman

I use wet brine(my own). I soak seven days, rinse, dry for a couple hours then hot smoke to 150 degrees. I don't care about firmness. I have never had a brine penetration issue.

I wet cure bacon too. I don't bother with the feel of the bacon while curing. Sometimes it feels tender before smoking, but after it gets a good pellicle and a solid dose of smoke it will firm up.
On the subject of time in the brine... I had bacon go long once when I had a last minute trip that popped up. It was buckboard bacon and I had planned 15 days in the brine. That turned into about 25 days. The bacon came out great. A tad on the salty side, but that is how I like it anyways. If you are worried about that submerge it for a few hours in cold fresh water in the fridge to leach out some of the excess salt.

Edit: I do use Prague Powder and a warm smoke to a food-safe temp, so I'm not very worried about nasties popping up in my meat.

Thank you everyone! It does look like bacon and has firmed up a little more. I managed to push my trip back a few days so if all seems right with the belly, I'll smoke it this weekend. If not, I'll leave it be.

I am overwhelmed by the support with this site. I can't thank you all enough! I'll post some pics either way and learn as much as I can while I take a go at this!

Turned out great!

Any advice after seeing these? It tastes great and all seems to be fine!

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg