THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FORY

Got Wood.
First of all, I've been a moderator on another forum [spanish] for 5 years now; it's about the greatest Latin American rock band ever: SODA STEREO

http://www.zonadepromesasweb.com.ar

So, I now about forum rules... so don't be afraid about me doing SPAM :thumb:

A couple of years ago, I didn't know anything about bbq, smoking, ribs, brisket, etc. until a restaurant opened here in Imperial Valley [Calexico, El Centro, Brawley, Impeial, etc.]:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=32.89112,-115.595398&spn=0.815273,1.231842&t=h&z=10

The name of the restaurant is: FAMOUS DAVE'S

I got so amazed with the food [I love cooking] that I decided to enter this wonderful world: SMOKING.

Well, to make the long story short, I built my first UDS las weekend, but after reading this forum, and specially the long and well documented Ugly Drum Smoker thread I realized that I have still some more work to do.

I have some questions; please direct me to the appropriate threads for responses or respond.

1. Is there a thread that lists stores where we can buy stuff; for example air vents, latch clamps, hinges, lids, gauges, etc.
  2. Is there a thread that lists cooking times or details by food? For example: Spare ribs require YYYY charcoal, ZZZZ time, at XX temperature, etc.... am I clear?
  3. I see that some smokers have 4 1" air intakes, and some othres have an air vent ... what would be the appropriate or better?
  4. Is it necesary to strip the paint from the inside the drum? mine was used to store food
  5. I've read on other places that by placing a pan with juice or water inside the UDS you can ad some moisture to the meat; I haven't read anything about it here... did I miss it or do you guys don't do that?
As a note, I live right at the border, so I get almost everything in MEX really cheap; for example, I paid $10.00 USD for the drum with 2 covers/lids. for a 4' x 4' expanded metal sheet I paid about $13.50. For 3 heavy duty 4" wheels I paid around $15.00. For about 2 lbs of welding rods I pay about $4.25 ...... pretty cheap, uh?

Well, I hope to make some friends here!!!

PS: Sorry about the typo in the title; it should say "Welcome" :D

EL FORY

Last edited:
Welcome Fory.

A few answers to your questions...

1. There's not one specific thread related to just "parts" for the UDS. The UDS thread has it all in there, but you need to search for it. Most popular places are the big box stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. From there.........it's wide open. Most buy or scrounge parts where ever they can get it for free or cheap. Can you tell us specifically what you need? It's easier to direct you to specific parts you may need, than just "all" parts in general.
2. Road Map Thread is a great place to start...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818
3. You will get answers recommending both. More of a personal preference. Both work just about the same.
4. If you have a liner(red/orange/other paint) on the inside, yes. It's recommended you remove it. Highly recommended.
5. Water pan will add moisture inside the UDS, but not really to the meat. Most here go with no pan or heat shield at all. Some use a diffuser. You will get answers both ways on this one too. More of a personal preferrence as well.
Hope this helps get you started. Others will chime in with more info.

Welcome.

Bob

Hi Fory, welcome to the Brethren, you might want to disable your link to the other forum, bad form to link directly to a forum. BB has given you great information. Not a UDS user but they do great here on this site. Keep posting and lets hear what you make in your new UDS. Scott

Welcome Fory, you found a great place. I would strip the inner surface of the drum, that it stored food is a great start, but, often a food drum has a polymer coating that will impart a bad flavor as it burns. Better to get rid of it first.

Thanks for the responses .... I didn't expect them so quickly!!

And special thanks for the ROADMAP link ... that's really what I wanted ... links to different informatinal threads/posts.

Yes, my drum has the RED coat in the inside; is FIRE the only way to remove it?
Would paint remover be a good option?

I don't know if I made a mistake, but I already cooed some spare ribs, baby back ribs, and a chicken with the UDS, but I didn't detect any strage flavor.

I asked about "moisture", becuase there is another local restaurant that serves really tender, juicy baby back ribs .... the meat just falls out of the bone [yummy, yummy], and I thought that having that pan with wather/juice will provide that tenderness.

I am most interested on a vent air intake or damper, bacuase I had really hard time keeping the temperature just below 200 degrees last weekend... I didn't have one. Y found these, but I don't know if they're good for a UDS:

http://www.kck.com/bbq_air_damper_smoker_pit_grill.html

PS: Instead of having the link to my forum, I left the link to the [Non-commercial] website... you can go to the forum from there.

i remeber someone posting on the uds thread about not having to remove the liner. But in my own opinion i would get rid of it. Paint thinner really wouldnt do to much. If you dont want to burn it our you could grind it out with a wire wheel and a drill. About the intakes, a ball valve works really well, and there cheaper than that intake you found. i would build your UDS to Norcos specs. Keep it simple and all will be well. oh yeah welcome to the forum.

Those vents would work on a flat surface like the drum lid as exhaust vents. They won't work on the round side of the drum as intakes I don't think.
There are many intake vent designs. They all work equally well, just work differently based on their design. But they all do the job. Really depends on how much work you want to put into them and how much you want to spend. Mine were as simple as they get. They work just fine.
It's best you remove the liner. You could probably fine a place in Mexico that can sandblast it for cheap.

The rules regarding posting links are here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14685

I would build your UDS to Norcos specs.

Thanks ... I'll look for those NORCOS specs [whatever NORCOS means] :-o:-o

Those vents would work on a flat surface like the drum lid as exhaust vents. They won't work on the round side of the drum as intakes I don't think.
There are many intake vent designs. They all work equally well, just work differently based on their design. But they all do the job. Really depends on how much work you want to put into them and how much you want to spend. Mine were as simple as they get. They work just fine.
It's best you remove the liner. You could probably fine a place in Mexico that can sandblast it for cheap.

The rules regarding posting links are here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14685

It never occured to me to use sandblasting ... I'll find a place to do it

PS: The link I'm posting has nothing to do with BBQ or selling stuff ....

Thanks ... I'll look for those NORCOS specs [whatever NORCOS means] :-o:-o

It never occured to me to use sandblasting ... I'll find a place to do it

PS: The link I'm posting has nothing to do with BBQ or selling stuff ....

Norco is short for Norcoredneck. He's a member on the board.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943&highlight=norco+drum

You link is fine. There are rules in the link I posted regarding links in a "post" (like what you did), and links in your "signature." There are some special rules regarding links that are in a person's signature.

Bob

I already found it ... thanks

And yes ... I read the rules carefully ... I won't be posting links much, unless they fall under the rules ;)

By the way ... did I mention I love the BLUES!!!

Long live CLAPTON!!!

Welcom FORY!

I think you should be able to edit your messages, I can, and do all the time. If you hang around long enough, they start letting the leash go and giving you all the dirty secrets.

I love me some blues too. And been singin them lately since Apphole shut down Lala.com--- FARKERS!!!! FAT FARKER STEVE JOBHOLE!!!!

end rant.

Welcome Fory,
I have made numerous trips to El Centro (NAF El Centro) with my job as a contractor for a Navy squadron. If Famous Dave's got you going on cooking bbq, well all I can say is.....once you've got it figured out, you will not eat there very often. My workmates swear by the place...I went with them "once"...home cooked bbq is so much better...

A quick question to the MODS ....

I can't edit my own messages ... is that part of the forum regulations?

there's a 4 hour window to edit your posts after the original post time.. This keeps threads in tact and prevents the follow up responses to still make sense to the posts preceeding it.

welcome !

there's a 4 hour window to edit your posts after the original post time.. This keeps threads in tact and prevents the follow up responses to still make sense to the posts preceeding it.

welcome !

OK then .... rules are rules...

I was just thinking [and I'm doing it] on creating a list of shortcuts/tips/data/sources/pictures etc. about ALL the good stuff I've been finding here in the forum, and add that list to message #1. A list for my own [and maybe others'] reference.

But, if it's not possible .. then I'll create the list an post it as a new message.

Thanks again!!!

Back