Weber smokefire shipped

Did the timberline ever get fixed? The cracks on top are actually where the oil from machining baked off. So that's good at least!

I got it fired up. Went to temp. And then is powering down. If it works it'll be the first time I've done that successfully in about 5 tries over two days.
24dae25e2b4acdb50182a13ebcbdd7a9.jpg
122b22f72a861d97d67a9cd930e2c49e.jpg
51f08c41f8c10a36bc15477c110f60b6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The Timberlines, from everything I am seeing, are pretty dialed in now. Hopefully it won’t take long for Weber to do the same.

Thanks. I was on my way to work after making that disaster video. I wanna run it over with my truck. Weber, at this point in time, lost a lifetime customer for sure.

I bet they will sort out these issues in time. I would probably send it back before getting stuck with the thing and would consider possibly getting another one after they work out all of the bugs.

I think Weber is a good company, they just appeared to launch this product a bit before it was ready. I could see the rush on their part. The big box stores in my area just started putting out the grills and patio furniture.

Pretty sure I’m refusing delivery on Monday, I’ve got no problem being an early adopter, but not if it makes me wanna take a 16 lb hammer to it. I’ve got a PG that cooks like a champ for waaaay less...

I bet they will sort out these issues in time. I would probably send it back before getting stuck with the thing and would consider possibly getting another one after they work out all of the bugs.

I think Weber is a good company, they just appeared to launch this product a bit before it was ready. I could see the rush on their part. The big box stores in my area just started putting out the grills and patio furniture.

I should've stuck to my plan and bought a Yoder. But the marketing and videos for the weber made it look like a killer deal at $1200.

I'm just hoping it doesnt turn into a "thing" with Weber. I don't even know how I'd return it. If I bought at Lowe's or HD its simple. But I'm not putting it on a pallet for them to take back......

If I wasn't working the next three days and it wasn't 20 degrees out I'd mess with it more. But I've wasted enough time on something that is supposed to be "set it and forget it"

The Timberlines, from everything I am seeing, are pretty dialed in now. Hopefully it won’t take long for Weber to do the same.
Hopefully that's the case with the Weber's. I'll ride it out. See if they send me a new door and controller. Hopefully they push out an update since I'd hope they gather a ton of data from everyone and their issues.

I sat on this screen for over 30 min... Just flipped the switch and said to hell with it for the night. Gotta be a controller issue for me. It seems like some people haven't had any issues though! I'm hoping mine gets fixed and I'm up and running soon. Maybe they will throw in another bag of pellets since I burned the whole free bag up.... Not cooking anything and troubleshooting this mess.
c7448d85ef69c4d343cb7a02beaa7d05.jpg

I sat on this screen for over 30 min... Just flipped the switch and said to hell with it for the night. Gotta be a controller issue for me. It seems like some people haven't had any issues though! I'm hoping mine gets fixed and I'm up and running soon. Maybe they will throw in another bag of pellets since I burned the whole free bag up.... Not cooking anything and troubleshooting this mess.

We're having the same issues. I let it shut down for 40+ minutes twice and finally said F it. My grill won't ignite on the first try. I have to shut down, wait forever, pull the plug, plug back in, turn on, then it works.

So yea it may be the controller. Still doesn't solve the hopper design or the ash mixing with the grease preventing proper grease drainage.

Well I have been sitting back watching all this with interest and not saying anything one way or another. But now I will say this. This whole thing with the new Weber sure is making my 5 year old Traeger pro 22 looking good. I have not had one single issue with it since I put it together and first fired it up.

Thanks. I was on my way to work after making that disaster video. I wanna run it over with my truck. Weber, at this point in time, lost a lifetime customer for sure.

I watched the video and could feel your pain and frustration :mmph: Besides the controller issues the thing that caught my eye is the bottom of the cooker looked pretty dirty due to the drainage/ash issues you pointed out. Never had a pellet grill so maybe that’s normal but yikes.

Hopefully the situation gets resolved to your satisfaction :pray:

My Pellet Pro blows ash in the cook chamber but the design is different and it doesn't mix with the drippings. I believe with the fan blowing that a lot of pellet cookers blow ash into the bottom of the cook chamber. I didn't pay too much attention to the Weber before launch because I have 2 perfectly functioning pellet grills. The pellet hopper looks like it could suffer from tunneling but if you're getting 10 hours then it's probably ok. Also would like to see a heat diverter over the gas grill type setup because I'm not gonna grill in my smoker. I can see why Weber wants it to be an all in 1 unit though. I wonder how many are working properly?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes the timberline problems were worked out and Ya there were a lot a problems with the timberline early but at least it would fire up

I know it's frustrating to have all these issues, but I can't believe that people bought not only a first generation product, but one from an entirely new product category, and expected it to go flawlessly. Apple has issues with their brand new products, and they might be a slightly bigger company than Weber.

First Generation purchaser = Beta Tester.

Yes the timberline problems were worked out and Ya there were a lot a problems with the timberline early but at least it would fire up

Completely agree. Treager needed quite a few tries to dial in the controller but it the unit worked from the beginning. This is much worse.

I’m sure they will get the controller issues worked out at some point. The wind dynamic seems solvable as well. I’m not sure how they solve the grease/ash problem though. That seems pretty foundational to the basic design and fixing it runs the risk of impacting the grilling capability which is what set it apart.

I’m not sure how they solve the grease/ash problem though. That seems pretty foundational to the basic design and fixing it runs the risk of impacting the grilling capability which is what set it apart.

I was wondering this as well. Pellet grills make a fair amount of wood dust/ash, meat makes a fair amount of drippings...what happens when the 2 mix? My Mak has the typical pellet grill sloping metal heat deflector which does a good job of redirecting the juices into the bucket that hangs off the side, and keeps the ash from the fire pot down underneath where it stays dry. However the deflector setup is what makes it a less than ideal tool for grilling, for me.

I've never been an early adopter of anything, let new car models run a few years before I buy, etc.
Seems like Weber wasn't ready for prime time on this first year run.
Hate to see problems like this for buyers.

Just got off the phone with Weber. They are going to ship me out a new lid asap. The controller issue is getting sent up to a manager. I don't know if they will send a new controller or if they are going to push an update to everyone's grills. Hopefully the issue will be solved soon.

What is the issue with Ash getting into the grease? My thoughts are if it's warm and flowing the grease is just going to carry the ash into the grease collection tray. Isn't that a good system?

My service experience with Weber has been great so far. Hoping this gets fixed soon.

Just got off the phone with Weber. They are going to ship me out a new lid asap. The controller issue is getting sent up to a manager. I don't know if they will send a new controller or if they are going to push an update to everyone's grills. Hopefully the issue will be solved soon.

What is the issue with Ash getting into the grease? My thoughts are if it's warm and flowing the grease is just going to carry the ash into the grease collection tray. Isn't that a good system?

My service experience with Weber has been great so far. Hoping this gets fixed soon.

That's the good thing with it being a Weber, you know that their support will be solid and the issues are worked through.

On the ash and grease, if the ratio is right then yes, it probably could just carry it down. I'd be surprised if that's always going to be the case though. Again, completely different design and pellet brand matters too but on a long cook my Rectec generates a decent amount of ash. I would think I'd end up with a paste on quite a number of cooks. I do think Weber tried to minimize the ash by the design of their fire pot. On mine, the only place for the ash to go is to be blown by the fan into the barrel. Whether it's enough or not, not sure.

The other problem I would think with testing the design is how much variation there is with the amount of grease even when cooking the same item. I'll have five cooks in a row with a pork shoulder and not much seems to accumulating in the drip pail, Then on cook six, I fill it half way up suddenly. No idea why some of them are that much more "juicy".

Good luck with the smoker though, it is a cool design if they can get it all sorted out.

Back