THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
I didn't buy it. Did buy Weber Hickory Pellets st 7$ for 20#. Nice Weber spatula tong fork set. A portable charcoal grill regular 75 for 14. Quite a few yellow tags in store not online. YMMV

Last edited:
I'm tempted at that price, but have the bugs been worked out of it yet? I know there were problems with the first generation models, perhaps they've been resolved?

I'm tempted at that price, but have the bugs been worked out of it yet? I know there were problems with the first generation models, perhaps they've been resolved?

No clue sir. I stalk the Weber SF groups seems most are really pleased and a few are not. Pretty much the same in most Pellet Groups I watch.
However, with Weber’s reputation for customer service and Lowe’s generous return policy, I’d take the gamble, If I needed one-which I don’t. Actually not much of a gamble imho.
Obviously YMMV

I had a 2nd Gen... after a lot of troubleshooting and part swapping, Weber hauled it away and refunded my money. Some folks have no troubles and others have nothing but... I will say, when it worked it made great food. Thank goodness for Weber's excellent customer service.

Thanks for the replies so far. I found quite a few less than flattering reviews on this product on Weber's website, even from recent owners.

OGV78dC.png

Then there's the new drum I need to get started on building which I have been procrastinating about. If I'm going to buy a pellet grill, it should be a really good one, like a MAK or Rectec. Until then, I need to get this drum started and finished. First things first!

Man I buy all kinds of stuff on clearance and at that price my initial knee jerk would be to buy it. But since almost no one here has one, or at least I've seen cook regularly......or even twice, I'm staying away.

And I had the larger version bought full price when they first came out and it was at the local receiving location to about come to my house and then I canceled after all the bad reviews.

It's just weird they can't get it figured out. Or maybe the market is just too saturated with pellet cookers for anyone to know which way is up :becky:.

Anyways.....back to whispering sweet nothings into my collection of clearansce Pitbosses :icon_smile_tongue:

I’d imagine Weber has a redesign of this in the works. Some things were done right on it, but too many issues all around, and many issues were not addressed in the Gen 1 to Gen 2 updated models. In fact, just about everything on the Gen 2 is a retrofit from the Gen 1. Nothing was changed on the quirky design.

Man I buy all kinds of stuff on clearance and at that price my initial knee jerk would be to buy it. But since almost no one here has one, or at least I've seen cook regularly......or even twice, I'm staying away.

And I had the larger version bought full price when they first came out and it was at the local receiving location to about come to my house and then I canceled after all the bad reviews.

It's just weird they can't get it figured out. Or maybe the market is just too saturated with pellet cookers for anyone to know which way is up :becky:.

Anyways.....back to whispering sweet nothings into my collection of clearansce Pitbosses :icon_smile_tongue:
Stop lying. You're halfway to Lowe's.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

A little about my mindset. I usually don’t consider myself beaten, until I’m knocked out seeing stars or can’t stop the bleeding. Growing up and to this day I think I can thread the needle and make it through the mud. All that to say this. Had I listened to the reviews of my Pit Boss I’d never bought it. I’ve watched a crapton of videos and read streams of reviews and tips and tricks.

Just an observation pellet grill is my least set and forget. Most videos of pellet smokers blowing up are being started with their lids shut. The two I have had clearly state to start up with lid open. Grease fires- grease burns you have to keep your pellet cooker clean. A putty knife and a shop vac go a long way and takes minutes. Yet folks ignore every tip trick requirement and instruction in The Manual.

Every single pellet cooker I’ve studied has similar issues- as well most I’ve studied have people thatve had zero issues. Same with offsets, barrels, ceramics, etc etc

If it’s still there in a week I may summon a manager and test drive the SF. I’ve not tried my luck at a muddy road in a while.

Bet I can make it

Last edited:
A little about my mindset. I usually don’t consider myself beaten, until I’m knocked out seeing stars or can’t stop the bleeding. Growing up and to this day I think I can thread the needle and make it through the mud. All that to say this. Had I listened to the reviews of my Pit Boss I’d never bought it. I’ve watched a crapton of videos and read streams of reviews and tips and tricks.

Just an observation pellet grill is my least set and forget. Most videos of pellet smokers blowing up are being started with their lids shut. The two I have had clearly state to start up with lid open. Grease fires- grease burns you have to keep your pellet cooker clean. A putty knife and a shop vac go a long way and takes minutes. Yet folks ignore every tip trick requirement and instruction in The Manual.

Every single pellet cooker I’ve studied has similar issues- as well most I’ve studied have people thatve had zero issues. Same with offsets, barrels, ceramics, etc etc

If it’s still there in a week I may summon a manager and test drive the SF. I’ve not tried my luck at a muddy road in a while.

Bet I can make it

qgMwAxF.gif

Stop lying. You're halfway to Lowe's.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Nope I've changed.........I don't knee jerk reaction buy crap anymore just because you people post good/maybe not good deals that only idiots would chase..........especially since that deal was clearly a "one off" in a state I'm not in and have no chance finding by me!!!! :mad::mad2:

......sorry.....I've had a few smirnoff ices......I'm going to lowes in the morning, but for non cooker related things :icon_blush:

I’d chase it for $250.

Heck, even after my negative experience I'd give it a try again at $250 - $300. Like I said, I liked the food that came out of it when it worked right. Mine was a better grill than a smoker. It was completely untrustworthy on low-slow cooks. There was effort put in to making it work - by both myself and Weber - but I eventually grew tired of fighting it.

There are a few guys here (Hinds, Kaptain Kadian, and I think one or two others) that have them and have had great luck. If anyone tries it out, I hope you have their experience.

I ran hundreds of pounds of pellets through an EX4. If you take out the finger guard and use drip pans on fatty smokes it can be a great pellet grill. It has a great smoke profile and still has very noticeable smoke at 400+ that you can taste on pizza.

In the fall of 2020 Weber pushed out a firmware update that made the SmokeFire very unreliable and unpredictable. When 4+ months had passed without another update to revert or resolve the issues I asked Weber to take it back. I think they have updated it since cleaning up those issues. Weber’s inexperience with the technology wasn’t worth the hassle for me, I use my pellet grill a lot and needed it to behave consistently. It was also an absolute pellet hog. It could be the least efficient pellet grill out there.

At 1/2 price though, you’re getting down there with some of the cheapest pellet grills out there and tolerating some issues might be more palatable. Though I question what Lowe’s knows to sell them for that price. Is an updated Weber product coming soon?

Nope I've changed.........I don't knee jerk reaction buy crap anymore just because you people post good/maybe not good deals that only idiots would chase..........especially since that deal was clearly a "one off" in a state I'm not in and have no chance finding by me!!!! :mad::mad2:

......sorry.....I've had a few smirnoff ices......I'm going to lowes in the morning, but for non cooker related things :icon_blush:

We have two Lowe’s. I only went to the closest one. The 3Burner Weber Spirit Gasser was heavily discounted. Large Weber Grill Covers were like 75% off. Weber Grates, Weber Hickory Pellets $7@20 etc. there were 5 I bought 2. pitboss cookers were not yellow tagged. Butcher Paper was not marked down. Some LOLA Hot sauces discounted—not all. Ghost Pepper and Scorpion deep discount.

As for pellet smoke flavor my PB Austin XL is good enough but of all my Cookers that I have and have had- For my tastes it’s hard to beat a barrel.

Last edited:
Back