THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

el_matt

Babbling Farker
I was perusing Craigslist, on Thursday, and found a 22" kettle. It didn't have a price, so I called the reply number. We spoke briefly, then I asked the price. There was a slight pause, and he replied, "It's free. We're moving, and I need it gone." I explain that I'm currently working, but can pick it up after work. He wasn't too excited about that, he really wanted it gone ASAP. I say, "Give me 5 minutes. If you don't hear back from me in 5, give it to the next person that calls.". He agrees, and I call my supervisor. I explain what I want to do, and my Supervisor reluctantly gives me the OK. I call back, and head over.

I show up, in my ambulance. I normally work a 911 ambulance, but that day, I was on a transfer ambulance (take bed-bound folk to medical appointments, move psychiatric patients, all non emergency type calls).

The guy comes out, we get the kettle. He said he paused, when asked about the price, because he put it in the free section, I hadn't noticed that, in the listing. He thought about giving me a price, but then decided he didn't want to hassle with potential haggling, he just wanted it gone!

I load it through the side doors, it fit perfectly. I take it to our deployment center, and put it in my truck, then head back to my posting get location.

I get it home and notice she's in great shape. Upon further investigation, the One-touch is installed wrong, and the triangle is upside down. Then I realize, it's the "economy" model. One handle, one wire in the center of the triangle. Not a problem, still a great score.

Here's my question. Would it be sacrilegious to modify this, from an OTS, into an OTG? I have the proper triangle, ash catcher, and food grate. She's a black 2005 (DO) model, so nothing special there.

I know I'll get the replies of "It's yours, do what you want". Just wanted to know what the diehard kettle heads have to say.

Matt

Can't beat the low low price of free. Nice score. As much as I love my weber kettles, in my opinion, its impossible to commit anything sacrilegious on an item you can purchase at a box store....modify away my friend.

Well my username comes from a rusty weber kettle. I love kettles. I seriously love my kettles. My opinion is that there is no historical reason to save it as it is common and there are plenty of them get stripped for parts to make UDS and well it is your kettle so go for it and make it work for you.

Nice score! I say modify it unless you plan to use it as part of a collection. But if that were the case you probably wouldn't cook on it. Go ahead and make it easy for yourself. The ash catcher "pot" is well worth it!

DONE AND DONE!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I figured it was good, but wanted to make sure. At least from the Kettle-Heads, which I like to think I'm one.

Matt

Just wanted to give an update. Got her all cleaned up, and converted. Put her with the other kettles, where she would be used, soon enough. Then I got to thinking, do I really need another black kettle? My answer was no. Told the wife I was gonna put it on Craigslist. She was surprised, but gave me the OK. Just before posting it, I decided I would ask a coworker if she was interested in it. Sent her a few pictures, and she replied, "SOLD!". Delivery is tomorrow. Fortunately I have a truck, this will not be a saga like Wookie had.

Matt

Back